DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Here's an Osprey Exos 48 set up for an overnight w/ 20º quilts. Quilts in compression sacks is the only way I can fit into 48 liters. In my 70 liter pack I can leave them loose and use a trash compactor bag liner.

IMG_20160430_143510.jpg

My friend and usual hiking partner uses an OR ultralight dry bag and keeps his on the outside of his pack as seen here from a hike this Spring. It rained for 36 straight hours and he was perfectly dry. It hasn't let him down yet, though we do carry some repair tape in case of a rip by a branch or something.

IMG_20180520_110544.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

I use a zpack 50L pack with Cuban fiber liner. I always stuff my quilts in the pack first and let everything else sit on top compress them.as needed. I usually put food in last. Everything stays dry. The only time I had a space issue was carrying 7 days of food.

The tarp stays outside in a side pocket.along with stakes, water filtration and rain gear. Most of the time my beer can cook kit stays in the other side pocket so it doesn't get smooshed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sampson View Post
    I use a zpack 50L pack with Cuban fiber liner. I always stuff my quilts in the pack first and let everything else sit on top compress them.as needed. I usually put food in last. Everything stays dry. The only time I had a space issue was carrying 7 days of food.

The tarp stays outside in a side pocket.along with stakes, water filtration and rain gear. Most of the time my beer can cook kit stays in the other side pocket so it doesn't get smooshed.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    DCF is waterproof (ok, maybe 'resistant' after wear and stitch holes, tape lifting, etc) so I don't use a liner in my Arc blast or Zero. I check occasionally for small holes and repair them with DCF tape, but even if there is the odd small hole here and there they don't let in enough moisture to worry about. Carry what you like, of course, but to me a liner is redundant in this instance.

7 days of food is a lot for these packs!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Does anyone who's weight/bulk conscious use a lazy/slug tube? I'm going to try one with my 20° quilts and hammock, leaving the tarp separate. I'm assuming it'll behave mostly like loose quilts in the pack, making some room as it compresses for other stuff when added.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    Does anyone who's weight/bulk conscious use a lazy/slug tube? I'm going to try one with my 20° quilts and hammock, leaving the tarp separate. I'm assuming it'll behave mostly like loose quilts in the pack, making some room as it compresses for other stuff when added.
    Frankly, if I was going to do that I would first try just shoving it all into the bottom of the pack together and see how that works. Doesn't cost anything, and might eliminate some redundancy... which is the Prime Directive when it comes to UL!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    This is what I do.

I have a trash bag liner & with an empty pack I unhook one end of the hammock with quilts in place and start stuffing until it's all in my pack.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    This thread as been around for a while - I see I made a comment in 2017. Just reading the first few pages and mention of compression sacks, know you can get them waterproof from vendors like Sea-to-Summit or similar kayak supply outlets. The bags I have have a roll top, and waterproof sides. the bottom panel is eVent material (Gore-Tex competition) - breathable but waterproof. So you can squish down the down and the eVent panel lets the air out. If you want to carry gear outside or near outside the pack and have it waterproof, this is one way to go. However, if it is too exposed and you are bushwhacking, be careful not to snag it on sharp sticks/branches/thorns.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I use a compression sack.
    Correction.With my ULA Circuit I do not use the compression sack.What I do remove everything from the side pockets and stretch pocket,put a compactor bag inside a roll down pack liner and put the night clothes in first followed by the top quilt,underquilt,down sweater.I mash and hold it all until the down migrates to every crack and crevice,hold it tight,twist the inner bag tight before it blooms back up and tie it off,then roll down the "official" pack liner.I like the durability of the outer pack liner but find it difficult to close without the down pushing back while I'm closing it.

Once the lighter bulky items are in the pack I cram things that work well between the pack wall and the inner bags because it will fit.Then load the stretch rear pocket and side pockets being careful to tie or biner the contents of the side pockets to the main pack and pull the pocket strings tight.I keep the ULA pack cover in one of the hip belt pockets.Their pack cover is great!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345