Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The walcreeper makes a synthetic version and also a 32 degree down version.

I own the 32 degree walcreeper, a frogsac, and I don't like either of them.

My wife has a 0 degree one from FF. It is a great bag (but it is purple). It has armholes and open on the bottom like the wren. I think it is only 2 1/2 pounds. The I have taken this bag down in the teen, the only proplem was my feet got cold. I think she paid less then $400 for it. I wore it at the 2nd Mt Rogers hang and will probably take it this year. Really is a great hammock winter bag. I rate it up there with my Marmot helium.
    Last edited by Dutch; 01-11-2010 at 18:57.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Dutch - you said it isn't the wren - what is your wife's 0 degree bag with the arm holes called? Was it a custom order?

To get a 0 degree modification to the winter wren, it looks like it would cost around $600, so I'm wondering what exactly it is that your wife has.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Because of this thread I've gotten my Wallcreeper out of the storage box...really only played with it once before. I do like the functionality of it and do agree with a poster prior that in conjuction with a Hilleberg BivAnorak it would rule. I think I'll try it this coming weekend if the roads allow me to get to the hang in NC...I want to use it inside a peadpod along with a 1/4inch ccf pad.
    Dutch-what is it you don't like about the Wallcreeper. I think it has one of the most advanced hood designs I've seen, even compared to many a jacket. The size of the L is such that I could easily wear lofty clothes underneath...if it is sleepware (the Wallcreeper) and campwear then two birds which is a plus.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Dutch - you said it isn't the wren - what is your wife's 0 degree bag with the arm holes called? Was it a custom order?

To get a 0 degree modification to the winter wren, it looks like it would cost around $600, so I'm wondering what exactly it is that your wife has.

My wife got it about 5 years ago and I don't think they make a 0 degree wren. It clearly says feathered freinds on it. I thought the wren has it written on it. Maybe it is one since she was the one to order it, she may not be as name or brand oriented. In any case really nice bag.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Because of this thread I've gotten my Wallcreeper out of the storage box...really only played with it once before. I do like the functionality of it and do agree with a poster prior that in conjuction with a Hilleberg BivAnorak it would rule. I think I'll try it this coming weekend if the roads allow me to get to the hang in NC...I want to use it inside a peadpod along with a 1/4inch ccf pad.
    Dutch-what is it you don't like about the Wallcreeper. I think it has one of the most advanced hood designs I've seen, even compared to many a jacket. The size of the L is such that I could easily wear lofty clothes underneath...if it is sleepware (the Wallcreeper) and campwear then two birds which is a plus.
    I also have the large and it is not only long but it is huge around. It is really well made but it weighs over 2 1/2 pounds. That would be OK but it won't get me near the 32 degree rating. That has been my biggest dissapointment. I won't take it below 45 degrees. I have thought about modding it so it is thicker and more form fitting but it looks tough to do and it is really a brand new bag. I should just sell it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

It's gotta be a Winter Wren if it has a center zip and a drawstring foot and armholes. It is likely also a zero degree bag (or at least a solid ten degree bag) if it is overstuffed, that 25 degree rating would be for an anemic anorexic, that bag is way warmer.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    It's gotta be a Winter Wren if it has a center zip and a drawstring foot and armholes. It is likely also a zero degree bag (or at least a solid ten degree bag) if it is overstuffed, that 25 degree rating would be for an anemic anorexic, that bag is way warmer.
    That's good to hear - I was thinking of ordering upgrading it to larger baffles and way more down, but if a little overstuff will do the trick, I'm all for it. That upgrade was looking pretty pricey.

That's good to hear - I was thinking of ordering upgrading it to larger baffles and way more down, but if a little overstuff will do the trick, I'm all for it. That upgrade was looking pretty pricey.
    I also have a regular Rock Wren, last year I slept in the mid twenties with it and a JRB Nest and was warm. If that design has a drawback (actually it has two, I think) it is the potential for air leakage at the neck near the zipper. A JRB sleeve would likely eliminate that. The other is the large footbox, it can't be any smaller and fit over your butt, in fact, if you have a large butt, this may be an issue. I'm not convinced a hammocker is any better off with a standard Wren over a JRB No Sniveler, the JRB is lighter, but you've gotta use a hood with it. Getting down to single digit temps the Winter Wren MAY have an edge (I'm not yet convinced) over a Rocky Mtn No Sniveler. The regular Wren's short (36in) zipper could cause discomfort on a warmer night, you just can't vent well enough. If I were to order again I'd likely have a zipper of 50 or so inches installed, that way you could use the bag as a quilt on warmer nights.

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!

Wallcreeper as a Peapod.

My Wallcreeper is the most versatile bag i own. I use it in the winter as a Peapod with a top quilt inside. I have taken the thing to zero in the snow in the Three Sisters here in Oregon and been toasty warm with a top quilt and extra layers. I am intrigued by the 20 degree model that came out this year.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/a...7&d=1227924801

BF

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Bigfoot2--awesome pic! Using it as a peapod gives it even greater potential...I'd think of it as an insulated sock maybe rather than a pod with its temp rating but the uses keep coming with this piece of gear.
    I slept in side today (it is my work week) and simply used it as a comforter--so dual trail/home use too. Shame it's been sitting in the box so long...
    I don't know about the 20F model of Wallcreeper? any more clues?

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Reading these posts, I cant help but wonder if some of those down jacket & pant combos (like Montbell UL tech down jacket and pants) makes more sense than some of the sleeping bags you can stick your appendages out of. Especially when some say the bag is good to the 20s and need to add a TQ to work.

Am I missing something?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast