Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Oh- I have a partial roll of black Robic 1.0 XL; if somebody was desperate for some let me know.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Oh- I have a partial roll of black Robic 1.0 XL; if somebody was desperate for some let me know.
    Actually, I am interested. Being out of stock on black was the reason I messaged them as I much like black hammocks. Could you PM me with a potential price for four yards?

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Hoosier-
    I'm in Valpo... I know it's not exactly right around the corner but I work with a few ultra runners and speed hikers and have made a decent amount of Membrane 10 hammocks now for fast and light trips. They hold my (currently not fast or light) butt at 225lbs, but a few of my 160 ish pound speed hikers are liking them for a SUL weekend trip.

Anywho- if you were willing to take a drive I'd be happy to let you check one out in person if you wanted.
    Attachment 145797

I did try a Robic .7 hammock but I wasn't a fan of that personally... got that prototype floating around too.
    The neat thing with the Membrane 10 is it packs very small/easy. I've got one guy who does 200-300 mile endurance type races where he needs to nap but doesn't want to carry much more than a hydration vest.

The hyperD 1.0 is still a very good fast and light hammock too though. I have a few of those I made for some of those folks that have held up for a good couple seasons (200-300 nights) and it's tougher than it seems.
    I have used and love M10 for quilts. But a hammock?! By that weight I assume it's a SL but how on earth can that hold a human being in the air?!

The hyperD 1.0 is still a very good fast and light hammock too though. I have a few of those I made for some of those folks that have held up for a good couple seasons (200-300 nights) and it's tougher than it seems.
    I recently made a Robic 1.0 11' hammock to augment my poly 1.1. I only have two nights in it, but it feels great and so far I haven't had any concerns about the durability. Time will tell.

So far, all of my "light" gear has held up really well, so maybe I'm more cautious with my gear than is typical. I've seen reports of some of this gear being damaged within minutes of being deployed, but I have nearly 2 years with my poly 1.1 hammock and 1 year with a MEMBRANE silpoly tarp without a scratch on either one. I'm currently of a mind that my Robic 1.0 hammock will be similar.

Having said that, any improvements are always welcome! That's life on the edge. On the edge of textile technology, in any case.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    I have used and love M10 for quilts. But a hammock?! By that weight I assume it's a SL but how on earth can that hold a human being in the air?!
    worlds ligtest hammock 2.jpg

I put at least 8 nights, maybe 12 in it.
    You wanna test one?

I got too many hammocks and not enough nights in the week, lol. There was somebody (Black wolf?) who used M50 (from thru-hiker but very similar .67 taffeta) for quite some time, and a few folks here and there. I think there was a double layer taken on a thru.

But I made that one for speed hikes/record trips of 2-14 nights where you're pushing (and typically weigh around 160) to be blunt.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    I recently made a Robic 1.0 11' hammock to augment my poly 1.1. I only have two nights in it, but it feels great and so far I haven't had any concerns about the durability. Time will tell.

So far, all of my "light" gear has held up really well, so maybe I'm more cautious with my gear than is typical. I've seen reports of some of this gear being damaged within minutes of being deployed, but I have nearly 2 years with my poly 1.1 hammock and 1 year with a MEMBRANE silpoly tarp without a scratch on either one. I'm currently of a mind that my Robic 1.0 hammock will be similar.

Having said that, any improvements are always welcome! That's life on the edge. On the edge of textile technology, in any case.
    I think that the pure Robic 1.0 is quite a neat fabric too, but I think a hybrid (if that's what's coming) will be a big improvement.
    My personal theory... it's just a bit too high tensile for that weight... it doesn't give at all really so if you did happen to have a boo-boo with it then the whole fabric body is under tension. If you think about even leaning on an elbow... HyperD 1.0 will give much more at that point load than the Robic 1.0. The hyperD can stretch/rebound a bit more than the pure Robic weave. In a gathered end I don't find that quite as critical as in a bridge though personally.

HyperD is pretty tough stuff. I accidentally punched a pole through a micro bridge body (right near the highest stress spot) and used it for at least 25 nights (a month) at home with no repairs just out of curiosity.

That said- other than a gathered end, it was very hard to work with in a bridge. I think some of the failures/issues I had were directly related to difficulty and/or errors in construction. But if you wanted a decently durable GE UL hammock I think the HyperD 1.0 is pretty sweet. I think 175 or so though is about the right weight for that, I have a long distance hiking friend of mine who wanted a custom UL (he's 5'7 and 155 or so) and his HyperD 1.0 has at least 200 nights of backpacking use and a good 30-60 nights at home. Still doing fine as far as I know.

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DynaGlide UCRs
    Kyle, can you give ROUGH ballpark on this? A month, six months? Looking to build a UL hammock for a trip in June and would like to know if I should wait to see what's coming. I kinda assume it'll be somewhat soon since four colors are sold out in Robic.
    Last edited by HoosierT; 03-02-2017 at 09:56.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    ^ Ditto. I have quite a few outings being planned and would like to get a UL hammock built prior.

You'll find me between the trees...HYOH!

Hammock
    Double-Layer 11'
    Tarp
    Realtree w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ - UGQ, UQ - DIY
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by HoosierT View Post
    Kyle, can you give ROUGH ballpark on this? A month, six months? Looking to build a UL hammock for a trip in June and would like to know if I should wait to see what's coming. I kinda assume it'll be somewhat soon since four colors are sold out in Robic.
    I can't give an exact date, but we are in the process of weaving the goods right now. The high-end, specialized fabrics we do are all spec'd out by us and woven from scratch, so it takes much longer.

My birthday is 4/24 and we're traveling to Austin, TX. I'd love to take a new hammock with me. Just saying.
    - Kyle

www.RipstopbytheRoll.com | "The Best Fabrics on Earth. Guaranteed."

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Thanks for the good news. Just came here to check on the ETA.

So wow, Kyle, you guys actually weave some of your own stuff? Suspected that was the case but wasn't sure. I would love to see a video of that process...probably others here would, too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast