Hammock
    DH 4905
    Tarp
    Zpacks
    Insulation
    Enlightened 950 F
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    Well to set the mood for a SUL trip i like to set the mood by renting a smart car its SUL and great on gas ; ) dont want my Silverado harshing my SUL buzz ��

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Yep, I'm willing to take the massive weight hit of 2.25 grams for a Dutch Wasp, and .4 grams for a Dutch hook just so I don't have to tie a knot. Guess I'll never be a gram weenie!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    i like to set the mood by renting a smart car its SUL and great on gas ; )
    Why take that heavy thing, 50cc moped FTW!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Yep, I'm willing to take the massive weight hit of 2.25 grams for a Dutch Wasp, and .4 grams for a Dutch hook just so I don't have to tie a knot. Guess I'll never be a gram weenie!
    You are out of the ULW club. The only way I'd ever make it in is too loose about 80 lbs then I could start weighing gear.

Banned
    Hammock
    DH 4905
    Tarp
    Zpacks
    Insulation
    Enlightened 950 F
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Korse View Post
    Why take that heavy thing, 50cc moped FTW!!!
    Ohh now your talking!
    Like i said earlier i was just looking for some debate. Dutch has some cool gadgets but IMO unnecessary. Ive tried some but gave it away as far as tarp stuff goes. Klemheist soft shackles on the ridge line and clove hitch on tent stakes all day. Well at least for me. I may be new to the hammock world but have spent my fair share of nights under a tarp and bivy.

Banned
    Hammock
    DH 4905
    Tarp
    Zpacks
    Insulation
    Enlightened 950 F
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    Its not so much even weight its the crazy fiddle factor of all the gadgets ya have to adjust

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattK View Post
    Well, I personally just have 1.25mm line for my RL and all tie outs for my cuben fiber tarp. I splurged and use about 6ft of 3/32nds shock cord and hooks for me doors though .

I get the urge to streamline. I generally find the trucker's hitch (my go to) to be be plenty fast/simple/easy/reliable and so that is what I use. I have also transitioned to using simple 12ft kevlar straps and a becket hitch to hang my hammock. Same reasoning applies. Feels like less fiddle factor (not sure it really is) and a little more...pure I suppose.

That said, I also have spider suspension with dutch clips, a RL biner, CRL with wasp and dutch hook, as well as some flyz. They are sweet.

As I guy who appreciates, and honestly started out with, BPL, I can say that it is a great resource for some things, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. The "light is right" mindset is strong over there. I have actually found myself in the opposite position: telling some BPLers that hammockforums is a great resource, even if there is a mindset of "endlessly tinkering".

I like going light, and like tinkering, so I find a great deal to appreciate in both places.
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I started out with BPL as well about a decade ago and with the way it's gone downhill I'm surprised you could actually find a post that doesn't start with FS: However when people used to discuss backpacking it could get pretty heated over weights.
    When I got started here the BPL mindset seemed to be on this forum as well, at least a bit. Granted, I was new to backpacking, at least for something other than hunting, so that could have been part of my learning curve. Now we're seeing bigger tarps and hammocks and, it would seem, more of an emphasis on car camping. With that comes the gadgets and tinkering, definitely lots of "stuff" that isn't/won't be carried very far.

Lots to be learned from both camps. Moderation, in my opinion, is the key. There is a lot of "junk" that gets added to tarps no doubt about that. I think it's the noob that suffers. How many come on and ask about, or think they have to have, this or that just to get out??

As long as the end user is happy that's all that matters!

Tarp
    HG hex 1 grizzbeak
    Insulation
    EE Rev30
    Images
    Can I tie a stinger knot an issue truckers hitch does the same thing. But I carry 6 and I think about that extra weight as often as I turn down free skittles at the movies.
    In the shadows

Banned
    Hammock
    DH 4905
    Tarp
    Zpacks
    Insulation
    Enlightened 950 F
    Suspension
    Mule Tape
    @ Goobie both BPL & HF are great places to get tips and little tricks. But the 2 are completely different animals.
    I can tell you ive met some fantastic people here on HF and in just one night passed on some fantastic info to me.
    I kinda think its a little unfair to bring my post here from bpl. Lile said 2 different worlds. I just wanted to own what was mine.
    Ive already been corrupted with goong from a tarp/tarptent to the heavier hammock set up

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I kinda think its a little unfair to bring my post here from bpl. Lile said 2 different worlds. I just wanted to own what was mine.
    No, I didn't "bring" anything from anywhere. It's the Internet and we're talking about the same thing here and there. It was just an example of how things vary from person to person. The junk is so light, it doesn't matter unless you get carried away. I know that does happens. If I made something up or lied, that may be unfair.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast