Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Definitely have someone help you adjust your UQ. Preferably someone who doesn't mind touching your butt (you'll see lol). It's nearly impossible to do it properly yourself.

As for earlier.. I don't know why so many people are down on hammock socks, unless they're claustrophobic - in which case you've got a whole different set of problems in a hammock. The sock is made from DWR, not sil. It's breathable. You won't suffocate or build up moisture, I promise. And they really, really do work. Easiest and lightest warmth you can make/carry.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Housefly, Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Have you tried an UQP to help help stop the wind of robbing your heat from your UQ? I live in Texas also but got a 0 Wooki, because if I heat up I can always adjust my top layers, I may sleep cold and need it, but also I plan on doing out of state backpacking trips and so it just made sense to get the warmest there was and adjust from the top.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    unless they're claustrophobic - in which case you've got a whole different set of problems in a hammock.
    Care to expand on that? :headscratch:

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Forgive me, but since you are not from bitter cold country I have to ask. When you say your base layer was "thermals" have you checked the cotton content? I see a lot of the waffle thermal underwear I used to wear is high in cotton. After an active day as you describe you are setting yourself up for a crash if you stop moving in a damp base layer. Gearing up for last trip I went to Wally World and was stunned how much of their long underwear rack was cotton. Luckily they also have a nice selection of under armour like base layer stuff in their athletic clothing section.

Second tip. I got one of these as a liner: SOL Escape Lite Bivvy. I've only had it out once but was in my 20 degree Jarbidge 3/4 underquilt and was toasty warm with it into the teens and had zero condensation issues. Please note that this bivvy is advertised as 'breathable' (and is as best I can tell), some of their other products and most of the other similar products I see are not. I like this because it goes in my day pack when I winter hike as a super lite-weight emergency shelter.

You will love the tarp with the doors. This made a big difference for me.

Of course all the other cold weather tips previously mentioned.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by <-Pointer View Post
    I was hypothermia cold, not just uncomfortable.
    Are you sure?? I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.
    I surf all through the winter, several hours at a time.... I know a bit about the early stages of hyperthermia! When your friends tell you to paddle in and get warm, because your reactions are slow and you start talking nonsense. You feet feel like they have been replaced by blocks of wood. You can't get into the car because your hands are functioning like lobster claws. And when you do finally do get home you are good for nothing for the rest of the day.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Base layer was Tru-Spec mid weight polypro long underwear and a pair of wool socks. No cotton around Wet and cold = very bad. I'm just not sold on the bivy thing - sounds like a PITA to get in and out of and it's a minimum of 4 oz for a super light weight summer bivy. I carry my tyxek sheet, which proved invaluable as an emergency vapor/wind barrier on that night. Maybe a bivy would be better, but I think I'd get more mileage out of 4 more ounces of goose down in my UQ.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Are you sure?? I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.
    I surf all through the winter, several hours at a time.... I know a bit about the early stages of hyperthermia! When your friends tell you to paddle in and get warm, because your reactions are slow and you start talking nonsense. You feet feel like they have been replaced by blocks of wood. You can't get into the car because your hands are functioning like lobster claws. And when you do finally do get home you are good for nothing for the rest of the day.
    I understand why you may question, but between Boy Scouts and 10 years in the Army I've spent enough time in the woods to know about hypothermia. Like I said in my original post, I was pre-hypothermic but understood where it was going if I didn't do something quickly. It was my fault - I was already cold the last couple of hours of hiking but didn't get my sweater on because I didn't want to stop and dig it out of my pack, I hadn't eaten enough during the day and was very low on fuel, and then I sat around my camp site shivering and making dinner instead of hopping directly into my quilts. It wasn't especially cold but it was humid and there was a sharp, cold wind. Hypothermia does not require sub-zero temperatures.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Definitely have someone help you adjust your UQ. Preferably someone who doesn't mind touching your butt (you'll see lol). It's nearly impossible to do it properly yourself.

As for earlier.. I don't know why so many people are down on hammock socks, unless they're claustrophobic - in which case you've got a whole different set of problems in a hammock. The sock is made from DWR, not sil. It's breathable. You won't suffocate or build up moisture, I promise. And they really, really do work. Easiest and lightest warmth you can make/carry.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    That's probably my biggest issue with the Blackbird XLC: with a full net I can't really reach around the hammock to check if it's laying right. I can adjust it through the sides a bit but can't really get my hand into the ends to see if there's a gap. I actually bought a Dutch half-wit hammock and am now giving that a try and a couple of clips that pull the angle closer to the hammock. It seems to work well for me in my yard but I haven't field tested it yet (and it may not get down to 40 again until fall!)

Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by <-Pointer View Post
    but I think I'd get more mileage out of 4 more ounces of goose down in my UQ.
    No doubt!

Hammock
    Butt in a sling camper XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    EE Down Top Quilt
    Suspension
    Humming Bird
    As @SilvrSurfr said follow the 10 Degree buffer rule and you'll be okay

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast