Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    I've used my Dutch sock above freezing just for that reason. It's black, so it's like sensory deprivation.

Also, you can try fleece liners to buffer the insulation.

But at the end of the day, you may just need a 20/ 30 quilt.

For me, I think South Texas needs

20/50 on top and 20/40 bottom Quilts to create a 2 season kit (we only have two seasons).

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Starting to think that a 20 degree Wooki may be in my future for colder weather and I'll just use the Hammock Gear 40 for warmer weather. Honestly though, the Thermarest pad is pretty comfortable so I may just stick with it. The pad seems to kind of even out some of the pinch points where the hammock gathers under my knees. It is a minor PITA to blow up, but it's very useful if I want to spend a night in a shelter.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    1) Make sure your quilts are adjusted properly.

2) When there's wind, make sure you set up with your tarp broadside to the wind's direction. It will block a lot of air. If you set up the other way, you're creating a wind tunnel around yourself.

3) Someone mentioned your quilts might be sewn-through; this is a HUGE no-no for a synthetic quilt. If they are, return them and get something else. Major design flaw there.

4) Get/make a hammock sock. It will kill the wind factor and add around 10* of warmth to your setup even in still weather. Also protects your quilts (and you) from blowing rain.

Just my .02.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by <-Pointer View Post
    Starting to think that a 20 degree Wooki may be in my future for colder weather and I'll just use the Hammock Gear 40 for warmer weather.
    You'll not be disappointed. Just remember for cold sleepers use the +10° rule and you should never be uncomfortable.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20/30 Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    1) Make sure your quilts are adjusted properly.

2) When there's wind, make sure you set up with your tarp broadside to the wind's direction. It will block a lot of air. If you set up the other way, you're creating a wind tunnel around yourself.

3) Someone mentioned your quilts might be sewn-through; this is a HUGE no-no for a synthetic quilt. If they are, return them and get something else. Major design flaw there.

4) Get/make a hammock sock. It will kill the wind factor and add around 10* of warmth to your setup even in still weather. Also protects your quilts (and you) from blowing rain.

Just my .02.
    Thanks much for your input.

1) Not 100% sure I'm doing it right. I'll do a set up and get my son to take some pics. It has worked well for me in mid-50s degree weather on several occasions though.
    2) I am switching to a tarp with doors so this should help with the wind as well.
    3) It's a Hammock Gear down quilt, so it is baffled and generally well made - it's just a 40 degree quilt so the baffles are short and there's not a ton of fill in there.
    4) I am leery of vapor barriers - particularly ones that go all around me while I'm sleeping. They certainly do work in some instances and I know some folks use them successfully. I'll think about this one
    Last edited by <-Pointer; 03-01-2017 at 00:56.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Too much Dutchware
    All of the above - but remember, insulated items only trap the heat coming off the user. Think of them as a thermos. Hot liquids stay hot, cold stays cold. You said you were hypothermia cold. The quilts were only holding the temp they were supplied with. You go to bed cold, you stay cold, it'll take a lot longer to warm up. Raising you body temp would have changed everything. Set yourself up a hot water bottle or pocket warmers (one under each arm & one between your legs, major veins supplying blood to your limbs.) A trick for hypothermia victims back from my sar days.
    Continue using you quilts but keep in mind, some of us don't sleep as warm as others. I thought I slept "cold", then I met my wife.
    Benji
    When you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, remember - your half way to somewhere

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I too would guess it was the wind, especially if the quilts were set up right.

That tarp with doors help, but for high winds, you also need to pitch the tarp on the ground to block wind from coming up from under the tarp.

For being cold before going to bed, a light exercise like jumping jacks gets the blood flowing. Add some high calorie munchies with a hot drink to wash it down and you should warm up enough to heat up the quilts to at least the temp rating, if not below it, comfortably.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    As a solo hiker/camper, I initially struggled with UQ adjustment. For me, it was a 20-degree HG phoenix in lower-30's temps. Without someone else to check while you are in the hammock, it is very hard to be sure there aren't any gaps at the ends. I have done three things that help:

1) As others have stated, a UQ protector really helps when it's windy. Esp if your tarp is rather small.

2) Good thermal socks. I use Heat Holders, available from amazon.

3) I think this is the most important: if your hammock has a ridgeline, Dutch's ridgeline quilt hooks (one at each end) really help. They essentially allow the ends of the UQ to be lifted nearly vertically, rather than laterally to the ends of the hammock. I think it's possible to eliminate gaps without these, but it's a lot harder without someone else with you. The hooks are cheap and weigh virtually nothing; the only downside is that it's easy to lose them, so I carry four with me.

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a few tips on going to sleep warm thus being warmer in the night.
    And some UQ intel....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    May give some insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jhersh View Post
    As a solo hiker/camper, I initially struggled with UQ adjustment. For me, it was a 20-degree HG phoenix in lower-30's temps. Without someone else to check while you are in the hammock, it is very hard to be sure there aren't any gaps at the ends. I have done three things that help:

1) As others have stated, a UQ protector really helps when it's windy. Esp if your tarp is rather small.

2) Good thermal socks. I use Heat Holders, available from amazon.

3) I think this is the most important: if your hammock has a ridgeline, Dutch's ridgeline quilt hooks (one at each end) really help. They essentially allow the ends of the UQ to be lifted nearly vertically, rather than laterally to the ends of the hammock. I think it's possible to eliminate gaps without these, but it's a lot harder without someone else with you. The hooks are cheap and weigh virtually nothing; the only downside is that it's easy to lose them, so I carry four with me.

Hope that helps.
    Wouldn't the better option be to get the quilt adjusted properly?? All the gadgets in the world won't get you optimal performance from an incorrectly adjusted UQ. There are plenty of videos on the subject, and all it takes is a few minutes with a friend the first time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast