Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Suspension
    Tree Straps

Can't make up my mind...

Alright. Been back and forth with what hammock to go with and every time I think I got it figured out I start mulling it over again. I have a budget of $250-$300 but don't feel I have to spend that amount to be happy if you know what I mean....that being said, I’m sure I’d be happy with any of them. Just trying to get some focus.

I have gone back and forth from the Raven, to the Darien, to the Sparrow, to a Thunderbird and back to the Darien or Raven when I think some of the high end models would be overkill for me.

I hang in the back yard a lot (3 season) and may have an overnight or two camping adventure. I have bugs to deal with so a net is going to be in the mix regardless. Not worried about an overcover.

I like the thought of switching which way I can lay in the Raven even though I usually am a left lay kind of guy. But I like the integrated net on the Darien, Thunderbird and Sparrow and probably wouldn’t mind the fixed lay as I usually lay the one way. Plus the Raven net kind of makes me hesitate enough though I’m sure it would be fine.

So if anyone out there has the Raven and another one of Randy’s fine hammocks and do you have a preference and why I’m sure that I’d be fine any way I go but maybe someone will say something that makes it “click” in my head.

I'm of the buy once cry once crowd, so just trying to make a smart choice here.
    Last edited by WVHills; 02-22-2017 at 20:19.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I only have a dangerbird so can comment on the raven. I'm a head left feet right all the time so I have no need to be able to lay either way. If I was going to get another hammock today and My budget was what you said it would be the thunderbird. For $297 I could get everything I wanted on it and that is with the bug net and overcover. I would get the overcover because I don't think you would be able to get one down the road if you do decide you would like to have it. If you have one and decide you don't want it you can always leave it at home. I like the overcover on my dangerbird.

I'm sure you will be happy with which ever you decide to go with.
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    I would get the overcover because I don't think you would be able to get one down the road if you do decide you would like to have it.
    Its no problem at all to add an overcover at a later date
    This can be done on the Sparrow, ThunderBird, DangerBird or Raven

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I know the feeling, it's hard to decide. I moved away from the Thunderbird and Dangerbird because the vent is extra on the cover, and I really wanted zippers that met in the center. This meant (for me) Darien, Raven, or Sparrow. I like access to both sides, so Darien was out. I now have one sparrow (which my wife refuses to let me claim, #4812), and a Raven (which my son has taken over, #4436), so I have a new FOR ME Sparrow (#4969) on the way. I've always liked to switch sides, but I sleep so good in a Sparrow it's not a problem. For your budget, go all in, you won't be disappointed. The Smurfs will be happy to work with you. They are super nice, patient, and helpful. Good luck!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaSmurf View Post
    Oh sweet. Did not know that may have to do that with my dangerbird but add a net to it
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a Darien and love it, it is my go-to hammock. The net can be zipped and thrown over the ridgeline to get it out of the way when you don't need it. If I had to do it all over again, though, I'd get a Dangerbird, with extra sliders on the left side, so I could completely unzip the net and stow it away when not needed.

While unzipping the net and throwing it over the ridgeline gets it out of the way, for a netless experience, there is no way to tie it back completely out of the way(like on a warbonnet blackbird with the ribbon tie). If I'm going to go netless... I want to go netless. Just my two cents.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Thanks MamaSmurf! I did not realize you could do that.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Thank you soul embrace, Peppy & Atlas918 for your thoughts. It's given me some new angles to consider.

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    I love my Thunderbird, but with the DH options available today, I would personally go with a Sparrow. The only thing that keeps my T-bird from being absolutely perfect is not having zippers that meet in the middle. A minor thing and not even something that I would use every time, but it is the only thing I would have changed if it would have been available when I purchased mine. The detachable overcover and net are wonderful and it's nice being able to leave one at home when I know it won't be needed.
    I'm also a strict left-lay sleeper, so having a fixed lay isn't a concern for me. If I did switch around, I wouldn't have any concern in going with a Raven.

Thank you for pointing this out! I had wondered about this for quite some time and debated emailing and inquiring.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Thanks Eidson!

I did inquire about adding sliders so the zippers meet in the middle and PapaSmurf informed me that he could indeed do that to the Thunderbird.

**I meant Dangerbird, which is what i inquired about.**
    Last edited by WVHills; 02-23-2017 at 17:09.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast