on a rather more serious note: andrew skurkas method is cool, but he's not a big fan of hammocks and it shows: for hammock camping, we often like to tie the tarp quite "far". ground dwellers typically like the tarp very close to the ground, and the tieouts quite close to the stakes, so the so called mcarty hitch makes some sense for them as it's easy to understand.

nevertheless, in basically all applications, a tensioner which lives at the tarp tieout, doesn't require any action to lock (it will stay where you put it once you release the line, without need to do any "locking motion"), doesn't require re-tying anything to adjust, and allows the far end of the guyline to be "free" (so that it can be tied to a stake, or root, bush, tree, dead enemy, doesn't matter, you don't need that end of the guyline to run free to tension/adjust, as your tensioner is at the tarp), and which allows access to the full range of length, from very near to the tarp tieout (0), to the full length of your guyline, without any change in "method" (including easily adding extensions as desired to this "free end"), are all characteristics which are desireable, and make setting up the shelter much faster and less frustrating/fidly (which, in a thunderstorm, can actually make a difference). these are the "nice to haves" which, for me, became "must haves" because, well, if they can be had, why should i go without them? of course one only needs a piece of string in each corner, and some "creativity", but if i'm going to pre-rig my tarp from home, i have requirements, it better be good, it better be worth the time i spent rigging it/figuring out how to make everything work, etc. otherwise, i can just tie a rolling hitch, no worries.