Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Guy lines on the tarp or stake?

I'm very new to backpacking (< 1 yr) and when I went out on my first trip last year, I learned a lot... a lot about what did and didn't work (a lot of things DIDN'T work! lol). One of the things I had a lot of problem with was my tarp (Superfly) and staking it down. I learned that knots aren't my thing, even though I watched a lot of videos beforehand and practiced a bit. After, I decided to come up with a system that would be much easier for me.

I purchased plastic Nite Ize Figure 9 things after I saw my friend with them and how easy they were to use. I hooked them on with the guy lines they came with directly to my tarp, but I have yet to use them on an overnight. I'm going out this Friday, and I was thinking about switching this up because I want to change my guy lines out for brighter ones that I've recently purchased, and also because I'm having a hard time packaging the guy line up attached to the tarp. I try to wrap it around the Figure 9 so it "stays together" but it always unravels.

So my questions are -

1. Would it be easier to hook the guyline up directly to the stakes and store them together? For the setup that I've proposed, is there an advantage to one over the other? Or should I leave on the tarp?
    2. If I do leave them on the tarp, is there some obvious way that I'm missing in order to keep the cord neater and not get tangled with other lines as it's in it's stuff sack?

I've been reading about different ways to secure the tension on my tarp, and for me, the easier the better. I've seen some dutchware stuff that looked pretty easy, but I've already got these from last year so I'd like to try them. For someone totally new who hates knots who has a hard time following along in this forum - any advice you'd like to give in this area? Something I'm doing that could be made simpler or something I'm missing?

Also, a general question - for those of you with a tarp like the superfly with side pullouts - do you leave guyline off of the side pullouts and just bring it with you and attach it if you decide to use it?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I have the SimplyLightDesigns Winter Haven with doors and I always leave my guy lines attached to the tarp and when storing it in my snakeskin I flip both sides of the tarp to one side and grab both matching guy lines and wrap them in a figure 8 on my hand and store them with the tarp. The stakes are stored in a storage bag with my poles from my Warbonnet Ridgerunner hammock. In addition I leave my continuous ridgeline attached to the tarp and all of this stores in the snake skins neatly and ready to be deployed.

Hammock
    COGS Mt Sherman
    Tarp
    COGS Mesa Verde
    Insulation
    DIY 20 Deg TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    COGS Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    I have the SimplyLightDesigns Winter Haven with doors and I always leave my guy lines attached to the tarp and when storing it in my snakeskin I flip both sides of the tarp to one side and grab both matching guy lines and wrap them in a figure 8 on my hand and store them with the tarp. The stakes are stored in a storage bag with my poles from my Warbonnet Ridgerunner hammock. In addition I leave my continuous ridgeline attached to the tarp and all of this stores in the snake skins neatly and ready to be deployed.
    This is almost to the letter how I store my guylines. If my tarp is dry I usually loosely roll my tarp and simply lay my guylines in before I roll the side up. If the tarp is at all wet I usually stuff it in the snake skins as best I can since once I get home I know I'm going to be setting it up again to dry out anyway.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Gotta get me some snakeskinz and a proper cat-cut tarp. The one im using meow is a heavy weight milkspec tarp, and its flappy and like bright like the moon makes it radiate brilliance /:
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ 20 / TQ 30
    Suspension
    DIY CL/Mule Tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    Gotta get me some snakeskinz and a proper cat-cut tarp. The one im using meow is a heavy weight milkspec tarp, and its flappy and like bright like the moon makes it radiate brilliance /:
    Did you say meow...........?
    TO EACH THEIR OWN....

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    If you REALLY hate knots, leave the lines on the stakes and wrap the line around the stakes. I use a loop of elastic shock cord tied (yes, a knot, but I only have to tie each one once) to the tarp tie-out with a Dutch Fleaz. I unskin the tarp, slip the line from around the stake and put the stake in the ground, then run my line up to the flea and secure. This setup gives me tarp tensioner, colored or reflective tie-out lines of my choice and easy to swap out, and lets me re-tension or adjust from under the tarp when raining. I am going to experiment with LineLok 3's instead of fleaz here in a week or so.

My other tarp setup is to tie or splice a fixed loop in the tie-out line and lark's head it to the tarp tie-out loop. Then I pass a loop of the line thru the anchor on the NightIze Figure 9, secure the Fig 9 where needed on the tie-out, and use as directed. This way, I can swap out the lines without re-tying any knots, I can use the Fig 9's for quick adjustments, store the lines with the tarp for quick deployment, and I can use a smaller stake sack since the stakes are naked.

I learned knots in the Boy Scouts many years ago, but there are only a handful that I use regularly. Learning to tie a couple of knots is no big deal, but it does take a little practice to get them right the first time and quickly when its raining on me.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Images
    I attach my lines to my stakes and then put them in a small stuff sack. I find it easier this way. I have some Dutch bling (Tarp worms) to make assembly quick and easy. I can have my SuperFly set up in less than 5 minutes.
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.......

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Mine stay on the tarp, then go out to the peg and secure with farrimond hitch easy fast and efficient lowest weight.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    Mine stay on the tarp, then go out to the peg and secure with farrimond hitch easy fast and efficient lowest weight.
    Just learned something new. Thanks, Tacblades.

http://www.animatedknots.com/farrimo...om#ScrollPoint
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Just learned something new. Thanks, Tacblades.

http://www.animatedknots.com/farrimo...om#ScrollPoint
    I use this and the Prusic too which is similar, but with 7/16 Amsteel I have to give it an extra wrap to get the proper amount of friction so that it holds, but I can still slide it to loosen or tighten.

On my tarp's tie-out loops I do
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...t?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WalksIn2Trees; 02-26-2017 at 09:44.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast