Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Securing a stake to a guyline risks it becoming a tarp piercing missile if it works loose in strong winds. I would rather have a guyline come off a stake in high wind.
    +1 Agreed, plus if you loose or forget a stake then your also without that line..

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I keep my guylines on my tarps.
    Here are my Tarp Tutorials if you want to take a look. You may get a few ideas.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...r4JzQgQ_iyB2RU
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Guy lines larksheaded onto the tarp and they stay there.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym & Safari
    I would leave your lines attached to the tarp.
    Use Duch Wear line locks [URL]http://www.makeyourgear.com/hardware/linelocs-3-single//URL] to adjust your tension. Then the only knot you need is a simple overhand loop to put your stake through.
    Or just learn the truckers hitch. ..

Bob
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranc0r View Post
    If you REALLY hate knots, leave the lines on the stakes and wrap the line around the stakes. I use a loop of elastic shock cord tied (yes, a knot, but I only have to tie each one once) to the tarp tie-out with a Dutch Fleaz. I unskin the tarp, slip the line from around the stake and put the stake in the ground, then run my line up to the flea and secure. This setup gives me tarp tensioner, colored or reflective tie-out lines of my choice and easy to swap out, and lets me re-tension or adjust from under the tarp when raining. I am going to experiment with LineLok 3's instead of fleaz here in a week or so.

My other tarp setup is to tie or splice a fixed loop in the tie-out line and lark's head it to the tarp tie-out loop. Then I pass a loop of the line thru the anchor on the NightIze Figure 9, secure the Fig 9 where needed on the tie-out, and use as directed. This way, I can swap out the lines without re-tying any knots, I can use the Fig 9's for quick adjustments, store the lines with the tarp for quick deployment, and I can use a smaller stake sack since the stakes are naked.

I learned knots in the Boy Scouts many years ago, but there are only a handful that I use regularly. Learning to tie a couple of knots is no big deal, but it does take a little practice to get them right the first time and quickly when its raining on me.
    I bought shock cord today in anticipation of using it on my tarp doors in some way... not exactly sure how yet. So it's possible I could try a system like yours for my side tie outs. I also purchased some line lok's from the website just to have/experiment with.

I'm not sure I quite understand your explanation with your other tarp setup, and I think that's because I'm not 100% sure what tying or splicing a fixed loop into the tie out line would look like. So instead of creating a knot that would make a loop on the line, you just make it permanent by splicing it? I'm almost positive that with my current setup, I've just attached the guy line to the tarp tie-out loops with a lark's head. Does that sound right? And then I hook the line through my NitIze Figure 9's, and then attach to my stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by StandingBear View Post
    I attach my lines to my stakes and then put them in a small stuff sack. I find it easier this way. I have some Dutch bling (Tarp worms) to make assembly quick and easy. I can have my SuperFly set up in less than 5 minutes.
    Do you ever find that you wouldn't bring your stakes along? Do you just attach the guyline directly to the stake and then shock cord to the ring on the tarp and connect with the tarp worm?

Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    I tie them to the tarp and leave them there, folding them up (figure 8) and wrapping the end line around it to for a slip knot. Then I wrap the whole thing in my skins, but you could just as easily stuff it all into your stuff sack, just the same. Any other line (2 piece ridgeline + 2 Dutch fleaz) gets stuffed into the pockets and the end of the skins. I don't use stakes.
    I bought skins last year because it was always such a mess for me to get the tarp out... I liked the ease to which it seems like the skins will help deploy the tarp. But if I continue to leave the lines on the tarp, I need to get better at folding them up and wrapping the line around it so it doesn't become undone when I unravel the tarp. I've just looked at videos of slip knots... while I feel like I can do that right now, I know that when I get to actually trying it when trying to put that tarp away, it will have all left my brain. I need a lot of practice with stuff like that, my brain just doesn't register it. I will have to figure out a way to securely tie the line if I continue to go this route so it doesn't tangle up.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrico View Post
    I keep mine attached to my steaks. Always had issues with my lines getting tangled after putting the tarp away. I also like being able to detach them from my tarp so I can flip it back without having Lines dangling everywhere. I also use dutchware fleas that are spliced onto my tie outs. I then can simply just hook them on a piece of shock cord that's tied to the tie outs on my tarp, this allows for a quick disconnect from my line without losing my set position.
    So when you say the fleas are spliced onto your tie outs, do you mean your guylines? And you connect your guyline to your stake, where it stays stored?

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    Mine stay on the tarp, then go out to the peg and secure with farrimond hitch easy fast and efficient lowest weight.
    Just learned something new. Thanks, Tacblades.

http://www.animatedknots.com/farrimo...om#ScrollPoint
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    [QUOTE=souperjen24;1748830]I bought shock cord today in anticipation of using it on my tarp doors in some way... not exactly sure how yet. So it's possible I could try a system like yours for my side tie outs. I also purchased some line lok's from the website just to have/experiment with.

I'm not sure I quite understand your explanation with your other tarp setup, and I think that's because I'm not 100% sure what tying or splicing a fixed loop into the tie out line would look like. So instead of creating a knot that would make a loop on the line, you just make it permanent by splicing it? I'm almost positive that with my current setup, I've just attached the guy line to the tarp tie-out loops with a lark's head. Does that sound right? And then I hook the line through my NitIze Figure 9's, and then attach to my stakes.

So, by way of Tragic Backstory, I used to be a huge devotee of Kelty's Trip-Tease, reflective kernmantle cord. I'd tie a bowline (loop knot) in one end, and I'd use that loop to make a simple hitch through the tie-out. The line is now on the tie-out. I'd put a Fig 9 "somewhere" along that tie-out line. "Somewhere" varies. For example, I might have one side of the tarp in "porch mode", which means I need more line on that side to reach over my branch/tree/pole to raise one side of the tarp into a porch. The other side was tied down tight, with very little line between the tarp tie-out and the Fig 9. So, I'd move the Fig 9's where I wanted them, to give me enough line to do what I wanted. Make sense?

Now, I use either Zing-It or Reflect-It from Dutch. Both are a hollow core cord, so it splices really easily. I make a permanent loop in the cord (eye splice, or locked Brummel splice, you can Google/YouTube search these phrases), slip the loop through the tarp tie-out loop/ring, and pull the line through the loop, just like making a lark's head knot. I like splicing, plus the fiddle factor can't be denied or under-stated. And I've done things like use green line for the starboard, red for port, sides of the tarp. Or Silver for the head end, Gold for the foot. I can be weird that way.

Again, this is my fiddlement, not a doctrine of any sort. I have two tarps, so one has all the lines attached to the tarp (it has line pockets on each tie-out, ala Hennessy Hex) and one with shock cord and Fleaz. I have two sets of stakes, in separate sacks. TBH, I've set up camp with BOTH sets of stakes more often than I've found myself without any. And like others have said, I use rocks and logs to help hold my tarp/stakes/lines, as the occasion and mood strikes.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks, SouperJen, for asking your question since it was the same one that I have been mulling over since receiving my line locks from Dutchware on Tuesday. It's the next logical step in prepping my gear for a camp out. I've done a lot of reading in various threads and found pros and cons to each method, but having this thread with concentrated advice from a variety of viewpoints helped me tip the balance to starting out with guylines permanently attached to the tarp for now. Who knows - maybe in a couple years, I'll switch to attaching the guylines to stakes. But at least I have fresh info for choosing a method rather than dithering around another week.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Guy lines on the tarp or stake?

Here's my vid on rolling up the tarp.
    I leave the guy lines on the tarp. And I leave 2 guy lines attached to the pullouts. 2 instead of 4 because they are generally used on the windward side of the tarp.

https://youtu.be/WqrCallxZyk

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
    I bought shock cord today in anticipation of using it on my tarp doors in some way... not exactly sure how yet. So it's possible I could try a system like yours for my side tie outs. I also purchased some line lok's from the website just to have/experiment with.

Do you ever find that you wouldn't bring your stakes along? Do you just attach the guyline directly to the stake and then shock cord to the ring on the tarp and connect with the tarp worm?

I bought skins last year because it was always such a mess for me to get the tarp out... I liked the ease to which it seems like the skins will help deploy the tarp. But if I continue to leave the lines on the tarp, I need to get better at folding them up and wrapping the line around it so it doesn't become undone when I unravel the tarp. I've just looked at videos of slip knots... while I feel like I can do that right now, I know that when I get to actually trying it when trying to put that tarp away, it will have all left my brain. I need a lot of practice with stuff like that, my brain just doesn't register it. I will have to figure out a way to securely tie the line if I continue to go this route so it doesn't tangle up.

So when you say the fleas are spliced onto your tie outs, do you mean your guylines? And you connect your guyline to your stake, where it stays stored?
    I have shock cord tied onto the tarp tieouts. I then just clip the tarp worm onto the shockcord. My stakes, lines, tarp worms are all hooked together. I count each stake before I leave. I use bright yellow zing it, so it is hard to miss. I always double check I have everything packed up before I leave. It is my system and it works great first me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.......

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast