DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    Packing up, I usually pull the sleeve until I hit the lines, then sort of roll them into the tarp. Deploying is just the reverse. If it's really windy, I'll only pull the sleeve halfway and at least loosely stake out the exposed corners, then adjust as needed after staking the rest out.
    I use micro cord on most of my tarps, which can tangle pretty easily if you're not careful, but rolling it inside the tarp I've not had any issues.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    This is pretty much the exact method I use, except I use Lawson Glowire for my tieouts. It's slightly heavier than micro cord, but it doesn't tangle- which I love!

I keep lines on the tarp, and loops with Warbonnet tarpticks on the stakes. The lines roll up with the tarp and the ticks stay with the stakes and it all seems easy and fine. There is a little tangling with the ticks and stakes all together but not a real problem.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    For my original question on quickly deploying / undeploying the tarp when you have a snakeskin with your lines on your tarp: what I meant was how do you *truly* make this quick say if you have to deploy/undeploy a couple of times each day. An example is, say I'm camping alone and tend to leave camp during the day, I like to keep my tarp rolled up in the snakeskin but if I'm out fishing for a few hours I like to deploy just in case it rains or something. But if it doesn't then I snakeskin it up again, etc... The best I could come up with is the tarp hooks to just disconnect and reconnect without needing to pull stakes at all.

Someone posted about Warbonnet's tarp ticks which also look good too!

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I just tie a loop in the stake end of the guy lines. The lines stay w/ the tarp and go through some line locks. I loop the lines on the stakes when needed. My stakes stay in the ground after the first setup.
    I also tend to put my tarp up and down more than once a setup. Easy to take the loops off the stakes and skin the tarp up. If I think it's going to be really windy I just turn the loop into a lark's head on the stake.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think the easiest mechanism for your situation would be Dutch's hookworms. Normally, they hook into loops of shock cord (or 1.75 mm amsteel) on the tieout points, but if you prefer keeping the lines on the tarp, you could reverse it and put a shock cord loop on each stake. This would let you keep the stakes in place and just hook into them when needed.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG Bug Net
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* Phoenix
    I was feeling like I commented on this thread before, but I guess it must have been another one, so I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I keep the guylines attached to the tarp with a bowline, then use Andrew Skurka's McCarthy Hitch method. I love it so much, it's so simple, and I've never, ever had an issue in any weather. I can find a good video by Skurka himself if you like!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Line lock v with 1.2glow wire
    No tangles and I just love it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I like line locks at the tarp connection attached with a loop of shock cord. Lines attach to the line lock.

I almost never use stakes unless I need to. Using the myerstech wrap around plastic pieces the tarp ridgeline takes seconds to attach. Then pull the snakeskin off and all the lines fall down. I then generally just larkshead them on to whatever is available - a branch, root, around a rock, anything. Then, pull the line locks tight and that’s it.

Hammock
    SLD TL 1.6
    Tarp
    ThunderFly SP 20D
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, Costco TQ
    Suspension
    Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by jledbetter2 View Post
    I was feeling like I commented on this thread before, but I guess it must have been another one, so I'll throw my 2 cents in here. I keep the guylines attached to the tarp with a bowline, then use Andrew Skurka's McCarthy Hitch method. I love it so much, it's so simple, and I've never, ever had an issue in any weather. I can find a good video by Skurka himself if you like!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    As my experience with hammocking proves, I think I will switch my tarp guyline tie-out method for what must be the 5th time I spent a couple of weeks in the field with my latest as of July setup I got from this forum: 4' or 6' reflect-it attached to tarp hooks using a figure-eight stopper attached to 1/8" shock cord loops on my Superfly tie-outs. Guylines were MSH'd to my stakes. But I found that when I wanted to snakeskin up the tarp for nice days, I had to pull the stakes to get the MSH off which I found to be quite annoying not to mention needing to find new ground to put the stakes in. The alternative of unhooking the tarp hooks and leaving them on the ground didn't seem to be so great considering I'd have this line strewn about. Also, seems someone stole one of my tarp hooks (NYC, go figure) and I don't really care to order a new one and pay for shipping...

I just ordered 200' of Lawson glowire and will probably use this exact method: bowline them semi-permanently to my tarp tie-outs with another bowline at the stake end in case I want to extend them for porch mode. If my guylines are too long then they are apt to get tangled when rolling them up for the snakeskin. Do you have any length recommendations? Only asking because in case it's not obvious, I have a tendency to switch things up so often and after so many iterations I somehow ended up with a bunch of not so useful hanks of lashit. I'm guessing 6' might be the max workable length to not get tangled and should be enough to feed it back through the bowline, although even 4' might work although I may end up needing to truckers hitch more often.

i don't mean to challenge a living legend, but if you're gonna change it, change it to something "new" (and in desperate need of testing and feedback). jest aside, this is better than most solutions i've seen (including most good hardware ones), in fact only linelocs comes close, but this solution is more versatile. the only problem is you'll find it boring: once you equip the tarp, it just works, and there's no knots to tie anymore from there on (basically as if you had linelocs on your tarp, except cooler). it'll sure impress the girls in camp though "that's like linelocs but with knots. you must really know your stuff". happens all the time, i swear. right. (give it a try, it works. the part to do with tensioning the tarp, that is)

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast