Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Images
    I believe Deb our one female mod is talking via PM with several of our members. I plan to support her recommendations and of course Rick (the owner) will always have the final say.

As just a forum members I think ladies only hammock/camping/hiking questions are far better served on FB where you must be invited to join and cannot view or post anything without being a member.
    We already have several ladies only hammock/hiking related FB pages out there.

@TallPaul I do agree with you and I would lock this thread but I am still hoping to hear from more of our lady members.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    At this point, we are just waiting for females to reply back to the suggestion from the mod above. The rest of this is a lot of thread drift IMO.
    I guess you're talking about me?

Sorry, didn't realize I was causing problems by pointing out toxicity within our community. At least, I didn't think I was causing problems for the women this is about.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I guess you're talking about me?

Sorry, didn't realize I was causing problems by pointing out toxicity within our community. At least, I didn't think I was causing problems for the women this is about.
    Hey BB - it wasn't directed at you... just timing since I replied right after you.

My comment was directed to the females that brought the idea forward & wanted to support it.
    I hadn't seen anybody reply to Deb since she made the proposal.

@Outandback Glad to hear folks are contacting Deb via PM

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    I'm female and I like the idea of a subforum!

Even better if we can have one hammock-only in the general area and one for off-topic stuff in the DM area -- gives any ladies passing by something to check out. If I had to choose one, I'd say DM area so topics can drift.

Also, FWIW, I'm not on Facebook (and never will be). There aren't many of us but we're out there.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Just to add, I have been PM'd by a number of folks supporting the idea of a woman's sub forum who do not wish to be identified as a female for some reason. When making a final recommendation to the rest of the mods, I will be taking that input into consideration.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Tribe, RBTR AH, GTUL
    Insulation
    AHE, Snugpak
    Suspension
    June Bugs, webbing
    If there was a vote, I would vote for a "Female Hammock Related (Open Forum)."

When I joined HF 2.5 years ago, I didn't know there was a thread just for women. I found it only because someone posted to it. When I saw the total number of posts, the idea of slogging through them (and hunting for topics of interest), was daunting. And I couldn't exactly search for specific topics, without knowing what might've been discussed.

So, one humungo thread for everything female. I remember an image coming to mind, that of a bone being tossed into the yard...

IMHO, having one single thread designed to accomodate all questions/issues for women is like actually believing that "one size fits all."

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy HF and I read it daily. Before joining in 2014, my only hammock experience was as a teenager, falling out of a rope hammock. Since joining, I'm now a full-time hammock sleeper. Foreign words like "hammocks, suspensions, underquilts, splicing" are now regularly used in my vocabulary. I've even mustered up the confidence to build three different styles of hammock stands, all due to the direction/guidance of this forum.

Is HF family-friendly? Happily, yes. Am I glad HF exists for everyone to learn from? Absolutely. Do I think HF is female-friendly? No.
    Find your inner hammock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Folks,

I have now removed a number of post from this thread. Stop the bickering, fingerpointing, and childish posts. If you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation then don't post and certainly do not stir the pot.
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Just to add, I have been PM'd by a number of folks supporting the idea of a woman's sub forum who do not wish to be identified as a female for some reason. When making a final recommendation to the rest of the mods, I will be taking that input into consideration.
    I think the fact that they do not want to be identified speaks volumes to the need for a subforum. I understand why they would take that position. Hope it works out.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    I wonder why they don't want to be identified as female? Maybe they don't feel safe in a male-dominated environment?

This subforum needs to happen now. With properly strict moderating.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I wonder why they don't want to be identified as female? Maybe they don't feel safe in a male-dominated environment?

This subforum needs to happen now. With properly strict moderating.
    Changes to the forum does not happen now or even quickly. We like to give our membership time to speak their mind on the issue, then the moderators discuss it to make sure we don't have unexpected impacts, then our recommendations get bumped up to the Admins for their discussion and review.

So relax and give others the change to chime in. My intent is to bump this thread at least once per day over the next 7 days. Then I will close it and take it off line to provide my recommendations to the other mods.
    Deb
    Hammock Acronyms

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast