Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Since you don't know if it will last, if you stick with the WB, Dutch, or the SLD, you can easily resell it here down the road.

Nobody can tell you what is right for you, but I was in your position and this is what I did. First, I was pretty sure that if I ended up moving permanently from tents to hammocks I was going to want something different from what I started with, something that was more expensive. I assumed that the money I was spending up front was to find out whether it would be right for me and wanted to minimize it. At the same time, I didn't want to try something that would not be representative of a true camping hammock (i.e a cheap hammock that was uncomfortable). I looked at all of the paraphernalia that is "required" for hammock camping and it was overwhelming. You need a tarp for bad weather or wind, bug net for mosquito, quilts, etc. etc. Its like getting into photography, you obsess about the camera but it turns out the cost of lenses overwhelms the cost of the camera.

So I asked myself what I really needed to find out if hammock sleeping was for me. I can PLAN around weather and bugs for an overnight experiment. I looked for reviews of relatively cheap but popular camping hammocks and decided on a Warbonnet Traveler. $60 including suspension (If I had known about Dutchware hammocks I would have considered them as well). I used a pad and sleeping bag draped over me like a quilt. I simply chose a time when neither tarp nor net were needed to try it out. BINGO, best nights sleep I ever had outdoors. Very minimal investment. So I added Fronkey style bug net and tarp and frankly I never saw a need to upgrade as the traveler fit my needs (until Dutch came out with the #%&*@ Chameleon and I instantly "needed" to drop $200 on a new hammock). In terms of upgrading to under quilts and top quilts if you are patient you can find everything used either here or on Ebay, but again none of that is necessary if you are just experimenting.

I think that other alternatives that would work would be buying a used but popular model (like a Blackbird) that would be more expensive but easy to re-sell as others have suggested.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym & Safari
    I borrowed a Hennessey Explorer ASYM from my Uncle and headed into Algonquin Park for a week long canoe trip. Bought my own when I got home for $140 Can from Mec. Used it for the last ten+ years. Still world's as well as the day I bought it. A complete ( ok no quilts ) all in one system that sets up in 5 min. I'm sure you could find a used hammock system to start of you can't borrow one.
    Try it you'll like it!

Bob
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Simply Light Designs Streamliner http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/133. For around $50 you can get all the hammock you'll ever need. Wish I would have found it before I spent $100+ on a BIAS WWM....

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Here's an even better option, go to one of your local hangs and try out the hammocks there. Trust me, people are more than happy to let you try out their particular hammock choices. This will allow you to make an informed decision on whether hammocks are for you, and if so, what type of hammock is best for you. Don't just get the cheapest, made in China hammock, and make your decision based on that. Trust me, if you go and grab a $19.99 hammock off of Ebay and try using it as a camping hammock, you will hate hammock camping.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Sorry duplicate post! ;(

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    This sort of goes against the grain here but I just picked up an Equip Mosquito hammock from Wally World for under $40 and the build quality is unbelievable. Rivals the quality of my Hennessy. Really, it does. A bit heavy at 2.4 lbs. but very roomy. And they have a satisfaction guaranty. If you find it is not to your liking return it. Sorry cottage vendors but he did say he wanted a low priced hammock and we do share info.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Check out camping survival's own hammock here. I believe this is the same hammock that they were selling as surplus a while ago because the label was sewn on wrong. I bought one. It's big. $19.95 and the only real complaint I have is the seam where the sides are stitched can be uncomfortable. It has wide sides.

https://www.campingsurvival.com/teslgeshc.html?cat=166

I do recommend spending a little more for a dutch, sld, or other. But cheap is cheap, as am I.

I haven't bought my first yet either but I can offer my thought process as I figure out what I want to try. If you get one of the cottage hammocks mentioned (Dutch, SLD, Dream, etc) and it doesn't work out for you, you should be able to get a good chunk of your money back by reselling here. I'm thinking of any loss as a "rental" as I try it and see if I can get comfy and sleep in a hammock. My problem is I change my mind every time do some research.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast