Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/burrow
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images

Hammock camping with my 7yo daughter

I started hammock camping with my son when he was 11. My daughter wants to hit the woods. Any advise on a type of hammock to use for her, to sleep in one hammock, or to do bunk style are the questions I'm pondering. Any help on the subject would be appreciated. She is 7.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Kirk,
    Any hammock will suffice for a 7 year old but I would try to fashion one that can be used with a spreader bar so that you can keep her close for a couple of years. The last think you want to do is have a scared little girl that doesn't want to go back. Also do not push her. To keep a kids interest let it be about them for the first couple of hikes. Once they are hooked then you can challenge them more and more. I hang with my now 23 year old daughter and it's special but we no longer have to be tethered

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    TrailSlug has great advice above. My daughter just turned 8 and I debated many of the same things over the past few years she has camped and/or hung with me.
    She originally had an 8' basic diy or 9' ENO hammock that was used around the house. I've since made her a much nicer 10' hammock and even with her small size, she does fine in it. We started her hanging in the backyard, first just relaxing in the hammock and then sleeping out overnight. She's handled it just fine and sleeps like a rock in her hammock.
    I try to hang her as close as possible, which is easy as her ventures are backyard or car camping primarily, and I'm able to setup my Hammeck stand very close and hang right by to give her peace of mind. Eventually I'll probably pick up a spreader bar and use it to keep our hammocks close without the need for the stand. I have a large tarp, so we're able to share the space underneath. There are a number of options with suspensions to accomodate a spreader bar to be used.
    I'd just take it slow and try to gear things in the experience towards her likes. If you're out in summer, make sure she has a good bug net.
    Best of luck in the memorable experience.

I'd get a "regular" hammock, 10-11', which is what I did for my 7 and 10-yo daughters. They're just more versatile and then all of your tarps and quilts will be interchangeable with your hammocks.

When we car camp, they still want to sleep in the tent with mom. I've only taken my 10-yo backpacking, and that was only after she spent the night in the backyard with me as a proof of concept. We hung on separate trees with our own tarps in the backyard and backpacking, but I was sitting near here until she went to sleep which in all seriousness takes her about 2 minutes. But she's up like a rooster in the morning.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I'm planning a camp with my 7yo niece and I plan to bunk her above me on the same trees. Sharing a tarp cuts down on the weight too (and my sewing projects).
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/burrow
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Kirk,
    Any hammock will suffice for a 7 year old but I would try to fashion one that can be used with a spreader bar so that you can keep her close for a couple of years. The last think you want to do is have a scared little girl that doesn't want to go back. Also do not push her. To keep a kids interest let it be about them for the first couple of hikes. Once they are hooked then you can challenge them more and more. I hang with my now 23 year old daughter and it's special but we no longer have to be tethered
    Thanks, see you at the Sipsey Hang.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidson View Post
    TrailSlug has great advice above. My daughter just turned 8 and I debated many of the same things over the past few years she has camped and/or hung with me.
    She originally had an 8' basic diy or 9' ENO hammock that was used around the house. I've since made her a much nicer 10' hammock and even with her small size, she does fine in it. We started her hanging in the backyard, first just relaxing in the hammock and then sleeping out overnight. She's handled it just fine and sleeps like a rock in her hammock.
    I try to hang her as close as possible, which is easy as her ventures are backyard or car camping primarily, and I'm able to setup my Hammeck stand very close and hang right by to give her peace of mind. Eventually I'll probably pick up a spreader bar and use it to keep our hammocks close without the need for the stand. I have a large tarp, so we're able to share the space underneath. There are a number of options with suspensions to accomodate a spreader bar to be used.
    I'd just take it slow and try to gear things in the experience towards her likes. If you're out in summer, make sure she has a good bug net.
    Best of luck in the memorable experience.
    Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    I'd get a "regular" hammock, 10-11', which is what I did for my 7 and 10-yo daughters. They're just more versatile and then all of your tarps and quilts will be interchangeable with your hammocks.

When we car camp, they still want to sleep in the tent with mom. I've only taken my 10-yo backpacking, and that was only after she spent the night in the backyard with me as a proof of concept. We hung on separate trees with our own tarps in the backyard and backpacking, but I was sitting near here until she went to sleep which in all seriousness takes her about 2 minutes. But she's up like a rooster in the morning.
    I hope she doesn't cry for momma out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I'm planning a camp with my 7yo niece and I plan to bunk her above me on the same trees. Sharing a tarp cuts down on the weight too (and my sewing projects).
    Thats what I really want to try, bunk style. I like your videos by the way.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have been taking kids, now grandkids out in the woods for 30+ years. Two things that are really important. Warmth and food. Not just regular food, treats, special things make a big difference. Make sure they are warm in bed and at camp and the rest will take care of itself.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I would also say it depends on the kid where you should hang them. My first trip with my now 12 y.o. Then 5 y.o. Had him wanting his own space to set his gear. He did not want to be on the same trees. Most of the time our kids want to be reasonably close but have their own room...of course the boys are different than our daughter. She wants to be a little closer and likes to have a light on so we hang a lucie light on her suspension as a night light. But otherwise I would say to talk about it a good bit before the trip and see how comfortable she is feeling about the different options for how to set up.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/burrow
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I have been taking kids, now grandkids out in the woods for 30+ years. Two things that are really important. Warmth and food. Not just regular food, treats, special things make a big difference. Make sure they are warm in bed and at camp and the rest will take care of itself.
    Good advice, I thought about that. I want to make sure she has stuff she really likes to eat.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/burrow
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    I would also say it depends on the kid where you should hang them. My first trip with my now 12 y.o. Then 5 y.o. Had him wanting his own space to set his gear. He did not want to be on the same trees. Most of the time our kids want to be reasonably close but have their own room...of course the boys are different than our daughter. She wants to be a little closer and likes to have a light on so we hang a lucie light on her suspension as a night light. But otherwise I would say to talk about it a good bit before the trip and see how comfortable she is feeling about the different options for how to set up.
    Good stuff, the night light will be in her pack.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast