Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Is it legal to transport bearspray in your airline luggage? I went fishing in Canada a couple times back in the nineties.You will have no control over the camps sanitation practices.Bears breaking into fish camp cabins are real which is why they put out plywood sheets with nails embedded when they are not at home.If you put on clean clothes and clean up first and get away from the food source you will likely be ok.If you sleep inside the cabin,why not use a bed?

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Is it legal to transport bearspray in your airline luggage? I went fishing in Canada a couple times back in the nineties.You will have no control over the camps sanitation practices.Bears breaking into fish camp cabins are real which is why they put out plywood sheets with nails embedded when they are not at home.If you put on clean clothes and clean up first and get away from the food source you will likely be ok.If you sleep inside the cabin,why not use a bed?
    Every time I've been into Canada it has been verboten to even let them think you are thinking of smuggling in bear spray. I shouldn't say this.errr...I once new a guy who wasn't about to throw away a brand new can spray so he smuggled it in. Man was he sweating at the border crossing, and thankful it wasn't the Israeli customs he was dealing with. Nice guy otherwise, notwithstanding this lapse into malfeasance. thuglife

Hammock
    Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    The beds are not the most comfortable. I also freak out about sleeping in beds other than mine. Hotels freak me out too, but I still do it. I try not think about it.

With no AC or even a fan in the cabins there are many sweaty bodies in them there beds in the summer months.

Plus, I thought it would be cool to sleep in the hammock next to the lake.
    There is no promise of a tomorrow, live life for today!
    Vialdo Design Studio My wife's graphic design and promotional products company, check her out!

Hammock
    SL tree runner and dutch netless
    Tarp
    SL Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG /SL under/over
    Suspension
    Rap rings/straps
    If Grizzlys...NO! If Black bear country...with some precautions and away from the cabin...I say go for it. Of course...if you are going to worry all night, forget about it until later in the trip when your bear resistance meter is reading higher. Or sleep in the cabin.
    JUST SAY NO...to overfill...

Hammock
    Dream Darien
    Tarp
    DIY Hex 11ft 6in
    Insulation
    HG Inc UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Dyn Strp, Cnch Bgs
    There are no grizzly bears anywhere in Ontario.

Or Vancouver Island!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG CF Std
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ/Wookie UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    Images
    Just douse yourself in bear spray before you hang for the night. The bears will either avoid you or enjoy a spicy mexican dinner

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Heydad! View Post
    Just douse yourself in bear spray before you hang for the night. The bears will either avoid you or enjoy a spicy mexican dinner
    This may not be as funny as it seems (for sickos like me it is hilarious). There have actually been cases of folks using bear spray like mosquito repellent. Secondly, studies in AK showed that once the bear spray is deployed, i.e. on the ground, the bears would come and roll in it. Just like dog roll'n good, catnip for a bear.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym & Safari
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    Man you guys seem really afraid of bears. When's the last time someone was attacked by a bear in that area? The bear attack stories are always exaggerated out of proportion. I was just talking to a ranger in the Smokey Mountains and he said there's been one person attacked by a bear in the last 25 years in the National Park. This guy was eating peanut butter and jelly in his tent. It's really really rare for a bear to attack but it doesn't hurt to be prepared but some of this is over doing it
    This is the only sane advice given in this thread.
    These threads are always a laugh.
    Why do people worry about bears so much? You are thousands of times more likely to die traveling to your location!

As mentioned earlier there are no grizzly bears in Ontario.

The bear won't bother you. Period.
    No bear fence, bangers, spray etc required.
    People. Now those I fear ..

Hang your hammock and enjoy!

Bob
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. ~Thomas Edison

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbobber View Post
    This is the only sane advice given in this thread.
    These threads are always a laugh.
    Why do people worry about bears so much? You are thousands of times more likely to die traveling to your location!

As mentioned earlier there are no grizzly bears in Ontario.

The bear won't bother you. Period.
    No bear fence, bangers, spray etc required.
    People. Now those I fear ..

Hang your hammock and enjoy!

Bob
    That is exactly what a cheechaco ranger told us in Glacier a week before "Night of the Grizzlies."

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I would trust the advice of the people that know the local area the most. You may also want to see if there is a visitor log in the cabin reporting any recent bears.
    I went to a cabin like this once and the bears were habituated to stopping by the cabin. I would err on the side of caution as you have no idea if the people before followed the rules on dumping fish guts or not.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast