Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    For comforts sake, if you decide against hanging outside, perhaps you could take the eno indoor hanging kit and hang inside the cabin somewhere.
    That has defiantly crossed my mind as well. I have taken Amsteel and made 2 continuious loops with it. Used 3" screws with fender washers and screwed it into the wall. These became my anchor points for my sons whoopy slings in his room for his hammock and it holds me just fine. I could easily do the same thing in the room I stay in in the cabin. It's all exposed framing. All i would need is the screws and a screw driver.
    There is no promise of a tomorrow, live life for today!
    Vialdo Design Studio My wife's graphic design and promotional products company, check her out!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Just make sure the nameless mannequin is wearing a red shirt. It works better that way.

Hammock
    NX - 250, WBBB XLC, Grand Trunk SBP
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    whoopie sllings
    Images
    Our cabin in montana has claw marks on the front window.. i hang on the property all the time.. so far, so good.

sent over your head..🤘😛

Hammock
    Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilder View Post
    Our cabin in montana has claw marks on the front window.. i hang on the property all the time.. so far, so good.

sent over your head..����
    Good to hear! Giving me more confidence..........
    Vialdo Design Studio My wife's graphic design and promotional products company, check her out!

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Having spent a lot of time working, camping, and playing in bear country, both blacks and griz, there are things you can do to help avoid problems. I've backpacked a little in Canada, Robson and the Katwah. The Katwah was notorious for griz, and in fact there were several bear researchers there when we visited. One important distinction between brown bears, i.e. kodiaks and griz, in Alaska and Canada is that for the vast majority of the home range vegetation, or fish, is by far the largest portion of their diets. Not so in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem where a significant portion of their diet consists of meat, red meat. This being the case, you are more likely in Canada to encounter a well fed "veggie" bear who doesn't have much interest in you. Having said that I would suggest:
    1) Check out the situation: bear sign, bear sightings, bear attractants, i.e. garbage or food not prepared or stored in a prudent manner. If things "feel" too hinky consider changing your plans.
    2) Practice good food storage so that bears are not inclined to either get a reward or investigate.
    3) Keep food and toiletry scents away from your hanging area.
    4) Dogs are great if you can have a breed that is good around bears and the wolves won't kill them.
    5) Bear spray is great, effective, and can be more "on target" than a firearm (oops monitor I said the "f" word).
    6) "F" word is great for a back up to bear spray.
    7) NOLS found having a small LED light help keep bears, and other critters, from inadvertently, stumbling into food storage fences (or hammocks). Bears spend more time hunting when the moon light is minimal, and consequently may be more likely to happen into your hammock.
    8) Consider hanging your hammock between your buddy's hammock and the hard sided shelter.
    9) If you are in an enclosed hammock, plan how you are not going to be entangled, i.e. knife.
    10) Think through your "escape route" prior to needing one.
    11) A radio or music device helps the critters to either avoid you or better locate you
    12) If it was all safe and sound, easy peasy, you might as well camp at home and eat Wally World fish; So ENJOY, TAKE VIDEOS, AND WE EXPECT A REPORT!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Having spent a lot of time working, camping, and playing in bear country, both blacks and griz, there are things you can do to help avoid problems. I've backpacked a little in Canada, Robson and the Katwah. The Katwah was notorious for griz, and in fact there were several bear researchers there when we visited. One important distinction between brown bears, i.e. kodiaks and griz, in Alaska and Canada is that for the vast majority of the home range vegetation, or fish, is by far the largest portion of their diets. Not so in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem where a significant portion of their diet consists of meat, red meat. This being the case, you are more likely in Canada to encounter a well fed "veggie" bear who doesn't have much interest in you. Having said that I would suggest:
    1) Check out the situation: bear sign, bear sightings, bear attractants, i.e. garbage or food not prepared or stored in a prudent manner. If things "feel" too hinky consider changing your plans.
    2) Practice good food storage so that bears are not inclined to either get a reward or investigate.
    3) Keep food and toiletry scents away from your hanging area.
    4) Dogs are great if you can have a breed that is good around bears and the wolves won't kill them.
    5) Bear spray is great, effective, and can be more "on target" than a firearm (oops monitor I said the "f" word).
    6) "F" word is great for a back up to bear spray.
    7) NOLS found having a small LED light help keep bears, and other critters, from inadvertently, stumbling into food storage fences (or hammocks). Bears spend more time hunting when the moon light is minimal, and consequently may be more likely to happen into your hammock.
    8) Consider hanging your hammock between your buddy's hammock and the hard sided shelter.
    9) If you are in an enclosed hammock, plan how you are not going to be entangled, i.e. knife.
    10) Think through your "escape route" prior to needing one.
    11) A radio or music device helps the critters to either avoid you or better locate you
    12) If it was all safe and sound, easy peasy, you might as well camp at home and eat Wally World fish; So ENJOY, TAKE VIDEOS, AND WE EXPECT A REPORT!
    Awesome! Thanks for the advice.

I like the fact that it's a little on the dangerous side up there. Heightens the senses. On one of my first trips there was a guy there my age i fished with one day. We decided to go to the far end of the lake and walk one of the creeks that fed the lake. We walked for hours. We figured that we may have been the only ones to ever set foot at that location. True or not it was a great experience and a cool thought at least. I am sure there were trappers that traversed the area at one time, but there is definitely nothing around for a long way!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    I would not do it. Fish guts smells right outside the cabin, burning food in the fire right outside the cabin, bear poop right outside the cabin, claw marks ON the cabin... bear might not want to eat you, but I would not want to offer myself up by hanging outside the cabin. I say take some hardware and hang inside.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Henessey/Dutchware
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch straps
    Clean your fish and burn your food scraps on the island you put the entrails on. I have fished in Canada and camped next to rivers/lakes for years in a tent before I was into hammocks. We never had an issue with bears. My two young sons along with some other kids on the trip (many years ago) were playing down by a river as we were fixing dinner after fishing all day. A large bear came out of the bush on the other side of the boys, and casually looked around. I yelled to the boys to stay calm and don't run, the bear looked around sniffed the air and sauntered off into the bush on the other side of the two track. Bear spray is an option as stated earlier, hang some dirty socks or a tee shirt on a tree or two near your hammock and you should be fine. They typically want nothing to do with human scent.

Just take bear spray and enjoy your hang.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    With the attracting smells in your vicinity I would suggest bear spray and bear bangers in addition to good camp food etiquette. Predatory bears have killed people in the past but predatory bears are very uncommon from what I've read. Many outdoor writers like Cliff Jacobson and Kevin Callan say bear attacks are far down the list or worries. Jacobson said in one interview that you're more likely to get killed or injured driving and flying to your camp than you are to be attacked by a bear. Good luck.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast