Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I like EE too quilts. Just to me a step above the rest. That is based on materials used and baffle construction. Again it is an opinion but I am thrilled with my EE top quilts. If a female user EE recommends adding 10 degrees to your warmth rating. So if you want a 20 degree quilt get a 10 ect.

Hammock
    Half-Wit
    Tarp
    Noah's 9"
    Insulation
    EE 20 tq, DIY uq
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I am 6'3" 230lbs and kinda round in the middle, I have an EE Revelation in wide long and I think I went overkill on the size, there is a ton of room in it but there have been nights I was happy to carry the extra, maybe regular width would be ok for you.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Another good option is to ask for members in your area, or find a nearby hang, and go try a few things out! Most folks are more than glad to let you sample their gear! A little pride in your investment, and showing the fruit of your search is rewarding in itself! Might be a little trouble, but LOTS of fun!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I think you doing yourself a disservice to not give another look at UGQ.
    Take a look at the Flight Jacket topquilt.
    I also dont like my feet and legs being too tight and not having any room, i went with a 0° Flight Jacket with NO taper and the leg / foot room is great, i do not get that cramped trapped feeling and find it very comfortable.
    Imo the Flight Jacket is reasonably priced .
    You do not have to look only at the Renegade when the Flight Jacket is probably one of the most sold tq's on the market these days.
    Another quick note about UGQ, they are using Ripstopbytheroll custom printed fabrics when requested by the customer and have built some of the most colorful,unique and down right eye catching quilts that i've ever seen!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I finally measured my shoulders while laying on my side, as I am often a side sleeper. From the floor, around my shoulders, down to the other side of the floor is 31.5" ... they say add 6" to that, so I'm looking at 37.5" or 38". So I imagine that the widths that are 50-52" would do me just fine? The extra 12-14" would be plenty extra to not make me feel constricted and to have room to flop around, right?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
    I finally measured my shoulders while laying on my side, as I am often a side sleeper. From the floor, around my shoulders, down to the other side of the floor is 31.5" ... they say add 6" to that, so I'm looking at 37.5" or 38". So I imagine that the widths that are 50-52" would do me just fine? The extra 12-14" would be plenty extra to not make me feel constricted and to have room to flop around, right?
    So I am doing a search on snaps vs sewn foot box and came across this post, but the last chapter is missing from this book. What did you get and what are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Yeah, what did you end up choosing? We'd all love to know what you got what made you decide on them over the others and any thoughts/ first impressions you've got....
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    So, I ended up getting 2... and since I did not get one as a gift for my birthday/anniversary, I had to purchase them myself, which I just did in July.

For my 3 season/cold weather quilt, I got a 10* Loco Libre Ghost Pepper with 900 fill down. The sale that George had during July really sealed the deal for me. When compared to other quilts with similar size/material/down, this quilt came out really competitive pricing-wise, and also lightweight. After emailing back and forth with George and also researching on the forums, I decided to get my toe box sewn for the winter quilt. If it's cold enough for me to be using a 10* quilt, then I am not going to want any air to get in. I haven't had a chance to use this yet since it hasn't arrived, but even if I did have it, I wouldn't be using it in this weather It should arrive around the end of September - mid October, so I'm looking forward to that.

For my warmer weather camping, I got a 40* Hammock Gear Econ Burrow with the snaps/draw string. That arrived a few weeks ago and I had a chance to use it just this weekend. I'm so impressed with how much smaller it packs down over my 32* sleeping bag. Also, it was pretty humid and hot here in Maryland/VA, so I loved having the draw string opening... I opened it up a bit and let my feet hang out, without socks on, which, if you know me, means that it was pretty **** warm. I'm always cold.

The Econ Burrow is my first top quilt, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I was impressed this weekend and would buy another.

What helped me decide is that I put all of the topquilts I was interested in in an excel spreadsheet, and had all of the specs side by side. My important factors ended up coming down to weight and price and the different down fills I was getting within those parameters. For example, the Ghost Pepper weighed less than EE's Revelation, but cost more ... until LL's sale was going on, then it was cheaper. The Burrow cost less but weighed more but had different down (850 vs. 900). I was even considering UGQ's Bandit, as it was on sale, but it was a full ounce heavier than LL's for a similar price.

So a combination of things lead me to purchase the Ghost Pepper, all super personal considerations and matters of importance. Next up is probably a summer underquilt

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    You know LL has their saver series going.
    Where the trail ends the adventure begins!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12