Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Considerations between LL, EE, HG - Help?!

Hey all. I'm looking at different options for my TQ and in comparing the different brands and choices - I'm kind of at a loss for where to go. This would be my first TQ. I currently use a sleeping bag, and I'm asking for this TQ as an anniversary/birthday gift (May/June), so I'm content to wait for it and use my sleeping bag in the meantime.

I'm a female, 5'3, very cold sleeper, 3 season camper. I'm going with the 20* bag and a snap/drawcord type of footbox because I like the idea of being able to open it when I want, even though I am generally cold. The thing I hate about my mummy sleeping bag is that my feet are so **** tight in there, and apparently I like to move my legs around (and apart) when I sleep at times, so I'd like to try this footbox as something different.

I've narrowed down my options to the 3 below (I think), and have listed the specs that I think are important to me. I did look at UGQ's Renegade, but for the price ($310) and extra weight ($19.13), I took it off as an option.

Also, in looking at the EE Revelation in comparison to these other 2 - it seems that they use a zipper at the bottom instead of snaps, correct? Can anyone speak to the difference in using one vs. the other? Also, can someone explain to me the advantages of having the straps on the EE Revelation for hammock users? Or is this just for those who use it in a tent with a sleeping pad? And if that's the case, do they come off? I wouldn't want them hanging on there if I wouldn't need to use them.

I appreciate any insight, experience, or other things I should be considering. Thanks!

Loco Libre Ghost Pepper
    $278
    20*
    900GD
    Chevron baffle
    52"
    70"
    17.3 oz

------

EE Revelation
    $260
    20*
    850GD
    Vertizonal w/horizontal at head
    50" (slim)
    5-6" (short)
    16.96 oz

------

Hammock Gear Burrow
    $234
    20*
    850 GD
    Horizontal baffle
    50"
    69" (short)
    17.84 oz

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Looks like some great choices to me! You'll find all 3 excellent quality, true to rating, and the folks that sell them are helpful, friendly, and willing to help you get what you need. No bad choices. I have one EE, one LL, and 3 HG, extremely happy with them all!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    These are all very nice quilts so you can't go wrong with any of them. One point though, the sew footbox in LocoLibre quilt is nothing like a mummy sleeping bag. I get the quilts with no taper and that foot box allows me to move freely about the cabin. I can't stand the mummy style sleeping bags for this very reason. I would also consider how soon you need the quilt and the wait times for each vendor. Good luck with what you choose.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    The snaps on the EE can snap together to make the quilt stay under you. Or you can wrap a strap around your pad and clip to the strap which lets you adjust the anchor spot wide or narrow.

The clips are very small, under one inch.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    At only 5'6, I'm on the short side as well, so when I ordered my 0° Burrow I wanted it in short but even a short quilt is a little too long as I don't like it to pull it over my head. So what I did was ask to have a short quilt made a custom length by having them remove one full chamber from the end of the quilt to make it 5" less in length. The end result was a custom length short quilt that comes right to the bottom of my chin, the perfect length for me at no additional cost. HG does amazing work, as do all of our cottage vendors. I also got 3 oz of overstuff and I can say that at -1° I was toasty warm. And I too am a cold sleeper.

" The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Images
    All three will have amazing quality. However i just recieved my new HG Burrow 20* Email Harry at HG and tell him what you want and he will make it happen. This is my custom HG Burrow 20 w/ 2oz ovetstuff.

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.....
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.......

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    LLG, HG, EE
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks all. I gathered from the forums that they were all great choices - so if they are all great, then how do I decide?

I'm not sure if I would want it to come up to my chin or be able to go over my head because I'm just not sure of my preferences yet. I've only slept overnight in my hammock 4 times, and it was with a sleeping bag and I knew I hated the hood and getting in and out of it!

I have another question about width... I've read that if you are a side sleeper you should add an extra 6" to your width... but I don't have wide shoulders to begin with ... and if it's a little longer in the length, wouldn't I be able to pull extra material around my shoulder if I slept on my side? I just can't imagine it being tight but maybe I'm not picturing it correctly.

I'm just not sure how to choose. Price? If so, then HG. Weight? If so, then EE. A little wider with a unique baffle? Then LL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by souperjen24 View Post
    Thanks all. I gathered from the forums that they were all great choices - so if they are all great, then how do I decide?

I'm not sure if I would want it to come up to my chin or be able to go over my head because I'm just not sure of my preferences yet. I've only slept overnight in my hammock 4 times, and it was with a sleeping bag and I knew I hated the hood and getting in and out of it!

I have another question about width... I've read that if you are a side sleeper you should add an extra 6" to your width... but I don't have wide shoulders to begin with ... and if it's a little longer in the length, wouldn't I be able to pull extra material around my shoulder if I slept on my side? I just can't imagine it being tight but maybe I'm not picturing it correctly.

I'm just not sure how to choose. Price? If so, then HG. Weight? If so, then EE. A little wider with a unique baffle? Then LL.
    As we've said you can't go wrong. I personally always pull the quilt over my head at night so that was a consideration but at only 5' 9" the regular length works fine. I also went with wide because I'm a side/back/flip like a fish on a dock all night long sleeper. Get one of each and you definitely can't go wrong

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You should contact each vendor your interested in and ask your questions and let them sell you. Really.
    I know Adam from Hammock Gear loves to talk.
    Also George from Loco Libre. Top Notch guy.
    I own quilts from both of them (only UQ from LL) and they will answer your questions to help you decide.
    Sorry...I have no experience with EE though I always hear good stuff about their product.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Custom Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' HG CF w/doors
    Insulation
    EE down TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Dyneema & Ti
    I love my EE 20° Revelation! The straps do indeed come off and are helpful when going to ground; I don't use them when hanging. EE's craftsmanship is excellent. If width is a concern, if you have a slender profile, the regular width would give you generous room when hanging or on the ground. The side sleeping issue is of more concern when using a pad on the ground, much less so when hanging. I'm a cold sleeper, but I've been toasty in my Revelation at 23°, so it is definitely true to the temp rating, if not underestimated. Good luck in your decision, I had the same issue. In the end, you just have to pull the trigger. The great thing is that no matter which company you go with, you'll be happy- it's a low risk situation when dealing with the 3 manufacturers you are considering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
    —John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast