Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool The Cowboy Web Slinger UL Bridge Hammock (Dutch Edition Beta Version)

[This project report is late in coming; I was looking to finish this build, test it, and post the photos last week for Dutch's birthday, but fate, life events, a snow storm, and a power outage threw up obstacles to that goal. Better that than never, I hope...]

This DIY ultralight bridge hammock project was really more of a thought experiment given form than a serious attempt at making practical hammock gear, but on the heels of my first DIY bridge hammock build (with which I was fairly satisfied), I embarked on something of a fool's errand in attempt to take what I learned and push the envelope to some degree, for better or for worse.

Here is my result, dubbed the "Web Slinger"...

Type: Single-layer bridge camping hammock with double-layer end caps, Kevlar suspension with titanium hardware, and single-piece carbon fiber spreader bars
    Materials: Dutch Hexon 1,0 oz hybrid ripstop nylon, Dutch 0.67 oz NoSeeUm Mesh, Dutch 300D pack cloth, Dutch Titanium Bridge Hammock End Set, 1/2" Kevlar tape, 7/64" Amsteel Blue, Mara 70 poly thread, 0.710" Ruta Locura carbon fiber spreader bars
    Dimensions: 80" long, 48" arc length at head/foot, 32" wide at center, 36" spreader bars at head/foot
    Weight: 11.99 oz (340 grams) total, 6.35 oz (180 grams) hammock only, 5.64 oz (160 grams) spreader bars
    Approximate Total Cost: $175

NB: This hammock was intended as a general proof of concept and a test bed for some ideas. In many instances I prototyped methods on the fly using materials and components with which I was quite inexperienced, and this is evident in certain details of its construction. Final assembly was rushed. There are hanging threads, the occasional pucker in critical areas, and some fine points that could have been better executed; if the overall hammock design proves worthwhile, I will be in a better position to overcome these problems in a more refined version.

Project Goals:

1) Build a full-size ultralight bridge hammock suitable for occupants up to at least 6'0" and 200 lbs.

2) Meet an apex-to-apex weight goal for the hammock body/spreader bars of 1 pound.

3) Use Dutchwaregear products exclusively for the build.

I followed the pattern of my original Rope Bridge hammock pretty stringently when cutting the Hexon 1.0 body blank and end caps for this hammock, since I was satisfied with its dimensions and lay ay my 6'2" and 175# after approaching two dozen nights outside in it. I made the inner layers of the end cap pockets out of NoSeeUm mesh this time, to shave easy grams where I could.

The main departure from the Rope Bridge on the Web Slinger hammock design was in the suspension within the long edges. Instead of Grizz-style spliced Ansteel, I employed a more mainstream approach: Dutch bling! Dutch's exquisite 4-piece Titanium Bridge Hammock End set served as my corner anchors for a double layer of ultralight 1/2" Kevlar webbing rolled into the cat-cut sides and triple-stitched to the gossamer Hexon fabric. As with the Rope Bridge, I sewed small triangular patches of 300D pack cloth in at the corners and hid them in the roll at the corners, and I sleeved the exposed turns in the Kevlar tape with more 300D to guard against both abrasion and UV exposure. Sewing the long edges of the body was rough going, with the delicate and slightly stretch Hexon really fighting me as I rolled it and stitched around the two stacked layers of Kevlar tape, and some on-the-fly thread tension adjustments were necessary on my inexpensive home sewing machine, but I achieved acceptable -- if less than perfectly neat -- results.

The two layers of each parabolic end caps were joined together with a single row of stitches and then sewn to each end of the hammock using a standing French seam on the inside, with the top edges roll-hemmed and folded over to form integral storage pockets and keep their contents neatly stored. I may add a KAM Snap or two to the pocket closures in the future if I think I can stand the "weight penalty"...

Four lengths of 7/64" Amsteel Blue cord formed the suspension triangles, each spliced to the ti bling to form a 30" leg with a 1" spliced eye suitable for Dutch Bridge Hammock Whoopie Hooks. With a leftover scrap of Hexon, two micro cordlocks, and some 1.75mm Lash-It, I banged out a handy double-ended stuff sack that weighs next to nothing and accommodates the hammock and suspension, allowing me to slide my one-piece spreader bars through the center and carry the hammock "hobo-style" for casual hangs. It packs up super-small!

The titanium end hardware is compatible with various bridge-compatible underquilt options, including my trusty AHE Jarbidge River 3-Season synthetic and my cat-cut DIY Climashield UQ for bridge hammocks.

The only non-Dutch component were the custom-made Ruta Locura 0.710" x 36" carbon fiber spreader bars I had made originally for the Rope Bridge. At $96 (shipping included) hey account for more than half of the total project budget, but they allowed me to smash the weight goal for the total sleep system. However, it is important to note that with standard, reasonably priced Dutch 2-piece bars made from 0.665" aluminum, I could have still made the one-pound benchmark, give or take a small fraction of an ounce, while keeping the project budget to under $100.

The Web Slinger realized the same dimensions as my original Rope Bridge hammock with adequate load capacity, but it weighs 40% less.

The Web Slinger still needs to undergo a proper overnight adventure, but in some relatively rough test hanging it seems to have at least avoided immediate catastrophic failure. The ultralight Hexon 1.0 fabric has a wonderful hand, and, although I am a fan of firm hammocks, the stretch of the fabric is in no way objectionable, probably because of the relatively narrow width of the bridge hammock body compared to that of a standard-width gathered-end hammock. I am keeping a careful eye on my less-than-perfect seams, especially the innermost ones at the midpoint of the hammock, looking for stitch elongation and signs of degradation and failure where the hammock bears the most significant loads when the occupant sits to enter or exit. Only time will tell...

Please feel free to inquire or comment below, and thanks for reading...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 02-19-2017 at 07:48.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Nice! Doncha just love DIY.

Pushing the envelope looks good (esp. the stitching).
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Exclamation DISCLAIMER

This DIY project report was submitted to this forum for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. Use any methods, ideas, or inspirations contained herein strictly AT YOUR OWN RISK. I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any injury or harm that befalls others owing to information presented here, and I accept no responsibility for any errors the post contains.

I do not in any way advocate that others should do anything I have presented here; this thread is strictly DOCUMENTATION OF FACT. Readers beware.

There is a lot of great information on Hammock Forums available from members with much more substantial experience, better ideas, and better methods than mine. SEEK IT OUT.

Thank you for your attention.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    Nice! Doncha just love DIY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    Pushing the envelope looks good (esp. the stitching).
    Thanks, guys! Fingers crossed...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooo Buddy))))
    You are quite the Stitcher.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    This DIY project report was submitted to this forum for ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. Use any methods, ideas, or inspirations contained herein strictly AT YOUR OWN RISK. I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any injury or harm that befalls others owing to information presented here, and I accept no responsibility for any errors the post contains.

I do not in any way advocate that others should do anything I have presented here; this thread is strictly DOCUMENTATION OF FACT. Readers beware.

There is a lot of great information on Hammock Forums available from members with much more substantial experience, better ideas, and better methods than mine. SEEK IT OUT.

Thank you for your attention.
    While it is sad that you have to say that it is also smart that you do. So much for the concept of personal responsibility. Nice hammock.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Cool Whoooo buddy))))

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Whoooooo Buddy))))
    You are quite the Stitcher.
    Shug
    Thank you, sir! It's the T-shirt...

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Looks great cowboy! Are you suspending it at a 20 degree angle?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Looks great cowboy! Are you suspending it at a 20 degree angle?
    Thanks. With a bridge hammock and suspension triangles of these (stated) dimensions, I've found (on the previous Rope Bridge hammock) that a "hangle" of 25 degrees works just about perfect for me. I measured it using the clinometer function of the Ultimate Hang mobile app right before I took these outdoor photos.

Quote Originally Posted by tazmaniac View Post
    ...Nice hammock.
    Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast