Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Warbonnet Blackbird XLC: Impressions after the First Three Nights

The Warbonnet Blackbird XLC may be the most (in)famous high-end camping hammock on the market today.

Besides having the moniker with the most swagger and machismo, the distinctive nature of the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC is obvious at first glance to almost anyone. Hanging between two trees, poised in sleek, potent majesty with its unmistakable silhouette, the Colorado-made XLC looks like no other camping hammock (save for the original Warbonnet Blackbird). Its complex patented asymmetrical shape seems like a hyperlogical geometric derivation created by some superior alien intelligence using mathematics opaque to humans. One could consider Brandon "Warbonnetguy" Waddy's flagship hammock to be a suitable exhibit alongside a Kalashnikov rifle, a Gibson Flying V guitar, Malcom Sayer's Jaguar XK-E roadster, and Apple's iMac G4 desktop computer in a gallery of groundbreaking industrial design in the last century. In a niche industry where the timelines and origins of truly novel technical advancements and contributions are sometimes contested, the design and construction of the Blackbird XLC definitely stand apart. Quite simply, it is ground-up, functionalist, out-of-the-box thinking given form and expertly rendered in nylon, mesh, Amsteel, and polyester thread.

Recently, I acquired a beautiful (now-discontinued) Blackbird XLC hammock with net and top cover, constructed from 1.9 oz Multicam ripstop nylon. I struck a very fair deal with a fellow Hammock Forums member and received my Warbonnet in excellent, essentially like-new condition, complete with tie-outs, stuff sack, and cinch buckle suspension, and at my first opportunity I spent three (nonconsecutive) nights sleeping in it in order to evaluate its qualities; this is a report of my initial impressions while they are still fresh from first use.

I have a true appreciation for the design and function of integrated-net camping hammocks, and I own and use several from different cottage vendors as well as ones I have built myself, so in some ways it is surprising that my path to XLC ownership has been circuitous. Here (I think) is why...

1) Price: While the well-appointed base hammock is competitively priced among other handmade high-end options, taking full advantage of the "convertible" aspect of the hammock system -- the "C" in "XLC" -- meant purchasing an accessory top cover at additional cost, and my fetish for Multicam didn't help things, driving the cost up into the $300 neighborhood for my desired complete package. The winter top cover is not a universal add-on, but rather a package upgrade that must be ordered at the time your hammock is built to ensure proper fit, so you can't really opt to space out the purchase of individual components in your ultimate Warbonnet package to soften the blow to your wallet.

2) Asymmetry: Like the Hennessy and many other asym hammocks, the default configuration of the Blackbird XLC is for a right-hand lay, i.e., head left/feet right. I am a left-lay guy, and at the time I was first considering taking the plunge into hammock camping, I assumed (perhaps incorrectly), that a left-lay XLC would increase the purchase price and/or lead time until fulfillment of my Warbonnet hammock order, if such a configuration were even available, and I was looking to get set up fast, so at the time I decided to look elsewhere...

Everything else about the XLC hit me like a siren's song, one that continued to captivate me up until I finally acquired my dream Warbonnet, despite finding and spending many great nights outdoors in my excellent Simply Light Designs Trail Lair (a comparable handmade custom integrated-net hammock without the convertible top cover option), which will always remain in my stable of go-to hammocks as one of my all-time favorites.

The Blackbird XLC is an 11-foot (132") whipped-end hammock of generous (63") standard width with a 111" ridge line, bigger than the original Blackbird (hence the "XL" part of "XLC"). The complete hammock system with the zippered mesh bug net, accessory winter top cover, whoopie sling suspension, tree straps, and stuff sack weighs in at just over 35 ounces, almost exactly a kilogram. (Mine is a single-layer model in 1.9 oz Multicam ripstop nylon, which adds an extra 1.3 ounces to the weight of the standard Warbonnet SL 1.7 oz nylon body. It seems to be a hair narrower than the standard XLC, perhaps owing to the raw fabric's width on the roll.)

The key features of the Blackbird XLC are well known to most, but here's a short precis:

1) Integrated Bug Net (and Optional Fabric Top Cover): The XLC sports a spacious, asymmetrical full-enclosure bug net that installs with a wraparound zipper along the entire perimeter; the included hybrid elastic pull-outs on either side (replete with mitten hooks, cord locks, and tiny split rings for self-adjustment and convenience) maximize interior room and give the whole hammock a squared-away look.

2) Gear Shelf: The aforementioned pull-outs across from the zippered entry side of the XLC serve to create a space for a sewn-in fabric panel serving as a gear shelf for keeping various personal items handy for the occupant.

3) Footbox: In addition to its patented "adapter panels", the XLC has an ingenious triangular footbox panel sewn into its net/cover, relieving constraint of the hammock body at the foot end to maximize room for a flat diagonal lay.

4) Netless Mode: One of the benefits of the convertible XLC, in addition to its ability to stow the net/cover, rolled and tied out of the way, is that when the net/cover is zipped off it becomes a standard 11-foot gathered hammock, great for casual lounging or for shoulder-season weight reduction during months with neither bugs nor snow.

My Blackbird XLC came with high-quality factory cinch buckles and 15-foot webbing straps, but upon receiving it I swapped them out for 9-foot poly tree straps, toggles, and a pair of 6-foot DIY whoopie slings, offering me the same span capability and ease of adjustment, but with a little less bulk and weight. The double-ended stuff sack is sturdy and thoughtfully reinforced, just large enough in capacity to hold the entire hammock system.

Owing to some of the idiosyncrasies of the unique shape of the Blackbird XLC -- and I'm not sure if it has to do with the way the gathered ends are whipped, with the constraints of the net/top cover, or with other factors -- I have found that proper set-up technique, correct in all key details, is mandatory for a good night's sleep. One thing I have surely noticed about the XLC design afeter spending just a couple of nights in mine is that the comfort is superb if you hang it right -- i.e., following Warbonnet's written guidelines and/or video guide -- and largely absent if you don't. I can guarantee a great night of sleep for myself in the XLC as long as I set the "hangle" to near 25 degrees (about 5 degrees "tighter" than I would with any of my other gathered-end hammocks, the same as my bridge hammock) and make sure the foot end is at least 6 inches (preferably closer to 12 inches) higher than my head end, naturally promoting my torso to shift toward the lower head end. If I do this, the lay is flat and comfortable, and calf ridge problems go away. If I do not, trouble spots can arises until these issues are addressed...

Pros:

1) Craftsmanship: My Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, for all its complexity of form, is simply flawless in its fit and finish from one whipped end to the other. Everything is perfect. Period.

2) Versatility: The XLC provides every advertised benefit. The net and shelf are convenient and functional, and the winter top cover offered me a 6-degree positive thermocline on a recent overnight hang when temperatures dipped below freezing. The mesh net provides ventilation and views with equal aplomb, reworked and improved from that of the original Blackbird. The netless mode is a great bonus. The design is a front-runner for "one hammock to do it all".

3) Space: I'm 6'2" and 175#, and I find that there is ample room inside the XLC to get a great diagonal lay with my feet centered in the footbox, my shoulder and face at a comfortable distance from the zippered entry, and all the interior features in easy reach. Occupying one is efficient and enjoyable.

Cons:

1) Set-Up: Because there is a greater "fiddle factor" with the XLC than with other comparable integrated-net hammock designs, establishing a comfortable hang with the sweet spot maximized is less intuitive and more time consuming than average. While I am certain that with familiarity and practice time and effort to hang the XLC can be reduced, there will always still be a lot on the checklist.

2) Single Zipper Egress: The circumferential wraparound zipper with a single pull on the XLC demands that the user orient the hammock in a particular direction between the trees when views and/or immediate topography come into play; competing brands, whether completely convertible or otherwise, frequently give you an option for entry/egress on both sides.

3) Top Cover Opacity and Venting: The winter top cover on the XLC is identical in form factor to he bug net, but because it is made from ripstop nylon instead of mesh, you can't see out of it at all on one side of the hammock. (That puts up a notable obstacle if you wish to investigate a bump in the night for any reason...) You can obtain a vent and a view of your surroundings by unzipping the entry in part or full, but it would be nice to have a mesh vent or porthole that allowed you to see and get fresh air while maintaining bug-free full enclosure. While my 1.9 oz Multicam breathes very well, the fully zipped XLC's design can quickly find the limits of the fabric's moisture transfer rate (something very unusual for me in hammocks with top covers or socks) if the relative humidity, temperature, and dew point conspire against it, resulting in moderate albeit manageable interior condensation (more than I have experienced personally in similar full-enclosure hammocks). (It is possible that the lighter 1.7 oz fabric is less prone to condensation. Fortunately, a small amount of venting and/or a quick wipe-down of the cover's interior with a microfiber cloth stored in the gear shelf minimized any inconvenience from vapor accumulation.)

The bottom line is that I am really very happy to finally be a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC owner. While my fabric of choice has now been discontinued in favor of a new Warbonnet house pattern ("Bushwack" camo), shopping for previously owned hammocks I was able to get my exact preferred specification for construction, fabric, and lay direction, all at a nice price. My XLC is a top-quality landmark camping hammock with a one-of-a-kind design and a generous feature set. If the advantages it offers align with your hanging style, it is well worth the investment to get one for yourself.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 02-17-2017 at 09:16.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Nice review. I've always been curious about the warbonnet hammocks.

I also sleep left. Although I could probably get used to going the other way. I think using line to stake out my hammock might confuse the loyal dog, but he is clever, so maybe not.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Fantastic review!!! I bought one during their Black Friday deal and am also impressed. I haven't used it much as I favor my Ridge Runner and Dream Hammock still, but the plan is to use this thing on some upcoming hangs. Actually, I'm thinking this review of yours has prompted me to take it on an outing this weekend and give it a through go.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    Nice review... I also sleep left...
    Thank you, JF. Your data support my pet theory that right-handed hammockers who sleep "goofy" (left lay, versus their handedness) are all talented creative geniuses!

Quote Originally Posted by JmBoh View Post
    Fantastic review!!! I bought one during their Black Friday deal and am also impressed. I haven't used it much as I favor my Ridge Runner and Dream Hammock still, but the plan is to use this thing on some upcoming hangs. Actually, I'm thinking this review of yours has prompted me to take it on an outing this weekend and give it a through go.
    Thanks, JmBoh. I hope you enjoy your time out in the XLC and post your field observations when you can.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Thank you, JF. Your data support my pet theory that right-handed hammockers who sleep "goofy" (left lay, versus their handedness) are all talented creative geniuses!
    So, what about ambidextrous hangers that can sleep comfortable any way which? Schizophrenic, perhaps, or only bipolar? .

I thought I was a left lay, but my DH Raven and WBBB XLC right lay convinced me it didn't make a bit of difference. In fact, my Raven convinced me that I like to lay every which way and then some during the night.

I bought a WBBB XLC off the FS forum because I wanted to give one a try. Seems some folks luv them some folks don't and I wanted to experience the joy or suffering first hand. It was the most horrible lay imaginable, complete with calf ridge, knee hyper-extension, and ankle knock no matter how I hung and rehung the hammock. In desperation I shortened the ridge line...nope. Then I lengthened the ridge line and, voile, in a miraculous moment it became an exceedingly comfortable hammock. Not as comfortable as a Hammocktent Gamma UL or Beta, but comfortable enough to become a keeper that I use on a regular basis. My conclusion is that the WBBB XLC is a +1 per your review.
    Last edited by OlTrailDog; 02-18-2018 at 18:07.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I thought I was a left lay, but my DH Raven and WBBB XLC right lay convinced me it didn't make a bit of difference. In fact, my Raven convinced me that I like to lay every which way and then some during the night.

I bought a WBBB XLC off the FS forum because I wanted to give one a try. Seems some folks luv them some folks don't and I wanted to experience the joy or suffering first hand. It was the most horrible lay imaginable, complete with calf ridge and ankle knock no matter how I hung and rehung the hammock. In desperation I shortened the ridge line...nope. Then I lengthened the ridge line and, voile, in a miraculous moment it became an exceedingly comfortable hammock...My conclusion is that the WBBB XLC is a +1 per your review.
    I hear you; you're right that if the XLC has an Achilles' heel (other than the Gen 1 top cover blocking your ability to look out on one side completely), it is its mandate that you must pick a lay direction and stick with it (except when going netless in "Traveler" mode). When I first started looking at serious camping hammocks -- before the advent of your Raven, mind you -- I absolutely lusted after the Dream Hammock Darien. I even got a chance to see one in person before I had made my decision and was absolutely blown away by its dedication to detail, customizability, and craftsmanship. However, while I had an inkling, I was still too new and unsophisticated in my hammocking to feel secure in committing to a dedicated lay direction, so I wound up purchasing the ingenious ambidirectional SLD Trail Lair, which uses a hex-shaped net to facilitate proper diagonal lay in either direction. For some reason I thought I might want the ability to switch lay direction, even if it was because I might loan the hammock out some time. I still love the Trail Lair, but after just one or two trips in the backcountry with it I realized that, while I appreciated the ability to enter and exit on either side of the hammock depending upon where and how I set up camp, I am a 100% left-lay hanger. Right lay feels really wrong to me now. -- like underwear-on-backwards wrong. The Dutchware Chameleon struck my fancy fully because, while fully creating a crisp asymmetrical directional profile with the net/cover attached, Dutch's proprietary reversible zipper technology imbues the Chameleon with the ability to accommodate both left and right lay, albeit by requiring the net/cover to be unzipped, flipped, and reinstalled; regardless, this flexibility with minimal compomise remains the best of both worlds as far as I am concerned. That said, then the Raven brought on-the-fly switching back to the forefront of desired features, and today both Dream Hammock and Dutch are offering options or components geared toward allowing hangers to flip-flop direction on demand with little or no modification to the set-up (SLD style). While I don't personally see the need for more convertibility than what the Chameleon offers with the standard bug net, it's wonderful that the cottage vendors continue to innovate and keep every type of hanger happy.

The other important consideration I think I've gleaned from hanging in the direction-dedicated Warbonnet XLC is that, while generous in its 63" width (in standard fabrics anyway), the cut and the specificity of the hang with the net/cover in place do not really promote the occupant adopting a really radical, aggressively oblique diagonal lay. Properly hung with its shallow hang angle and foot-high bias, the Warbonnet wants you to put your feet in the footbox (where the triangle is added to the top half) and your head/shoulder right where the tie-out is located on the opposite side. At 6'2", I find the XLC particularly comfortable because I happen to gravitate toward a very moderate diagonal lay that is well suited toward the shape the hammock wants to adopt.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    ... the ingenious ambidirectional SLD Trail Lair, which uses a hex-shaped net to facilitate proper diagonal lay in either direction.
    ... then the Raven brought on-the-fly switching ...
    ... I find the XLC particularly comfortable because I happen to gravitate toward a very moderate diagonal lay that is well suited toward the shape the hammock wants to adopt.
    I didn't know if it was just me, but yes!, I too noticed how economical it is to achieve a comfortable diagonal in the WBBB XLC. I sit down, pivot in, put my feet...right there in the foot box..., lay back, and presto I'm in a shallow diagonal with no CR, no KH, and roomy enough that my ankle are happy. Super easy to get in and get out too. Plus the gear shelf!

I didn't know that about the SLD Trail Lair. I actually spent some time there last evening and this morning configuring up a TL as a light weight SL backpacking GE. A thread about their gear hammock led me there and I got carried away. I've read good things about the TL and will probably need to give one a go one of these days. The other prime alternative for a light weight backpacking GE being the Darien.

I actually let my Raven go last week to fund a Sparrow when I learned you could get a symmetrical top versus a dedicated lay. I've been coveting a Sparrow for a while and wanted to give one a try and that pushed me over the edge. Who knows, life probably won't be complete until I've slept in a Chameleon too.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    I hear you; you're right that if the XLC has an Achilles' heel (other than the Gen 1 top cover blocking your ability to look out on one side completely), it is its mandate that you must pick a lay direction and stick with it (except when going netless in "Traveler" mode). When I first started looking at serious camping hammocks -- before the advent of your Raven, mind you -- I absolutely lusted after the Dream Hammock Darien. I even got a chance to see one in person before I had made my decision and was absolutely blown away by its dedication to detail, customizability, and craftsmanship. However, while I had an inkling, I was still too new and unsophisticated in my hammocking to feel secure in committing to a dedicated lay direction, so I wound up purchasing the ingenious ambidirectional SLD Trail Lair, which uses a hex-shaped net to facilitate proper diagonal lay in either direction. For some reason I thought I might want the ability to switch lay direction, even if it was because I might loan the hammock out some time. I still love the Trail Lair, but after just one or two trips in the backcountry with it I realized that, while I appreciated the ability to enter and exit on either side of the hammock depending upon where and how I set up camp, I am a 100% left-lay hanger. Right lay feels really wrong to me now. -- like underwear-on-backwards wrong. The Dutchware Chameleon struck my fancy fully because, while fully creating a crisp asymmetrical directional profile with the net/cover attached, Dutch's proprietary reversible zipper technology imbues the Chameleon with the ability to accommodate both left and right lay, albeit by requiring the net/cover to be unzipped, flipped, and reinstalled; regardless, this flexibility with minimal compomise remains the best of both worlds as far as I am concerned. That said, then the Raven brought on-the-fly switching back to the forefront of desired features, and today both Dream Hammock and Dutch are offering options or components geared toward allowing hangers to flip-flop direction on demand with little or no modification to the set-up (SLD style). While I don't personally see the need for more convertibility than what the Chameleon offers with the standard bug net, it's wonderful that the cottage vendors continue to innovate and keep every type of hanger happy.

The other important consideration I think I've gleaned from hanging in the direction-dedicated Warbonnet XLC is that, while generous in its 63" width (in standard fabrics anyway), the cut and the specificity of the hang with the net/cover in place do not really promote the occupant adopting a really radical, aggressively oblique diagonal lay. Properly hung with its shallow hang angle and foot-high bias, the Warbonnet wants you to put your feet in the footbox (where the triangle is added to the top half) and your head/shoulder right where the tie-out is located on the opposite side. At 6'2", I find the XLC particularly comfortable because I happen to gravitate toward a very moderate diagonal lay that is well suited toward the shape the hammock wants to adopt.

Seems to me I remember Brandon saying that the newest itineration of the XLC can be set up either right lay or left lay, just by flipping the hammock body inside out (and I would guess the net/top cover inside out as well). Also you can now enter/exit from both sides. It’s also sweet that the UQP zips onto the top cover...ala sock style without forfeiting the shelf! I have the newer style and have gotten to use it several time now and it has edged out my Trail Lair, which had edged out my older XLC most of last summer. So far I’ve only used the XLC for winter hanging and (I know the gram counters will be horrified) each time I’ve used both the bug net and the winter top cover together...bug net zipped to my XLC with winter top cover zipped to the UQP...rather than just “floating” my XLC loose inside the shell formed by top cover zipped to UQP.

I do like that the components can now be bought separately any time. Made it more affordable, allowing me to buy just the top cover and UQP first (using my old XLC inside) and later getting the new XLC, too. I like that each component can now be purchased individually one at a time. I also really like being able to unzip the XLC from either side. I do use that feature and it was one of the things that I’ve always liked a lot about my Trail Lair. It’s sweet that the XLC offers that, too, now!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 02-18-2018 at 23:08.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Warbonnet Blackbird XLC: Impressions after the First Three Nights

Good review of the XLC. Thanks for including the setup links and videos.

For me, the aha moment on this hammock is having your head closer to the head end like the pic Brandon shows in the written how to instructions. That tends to get mentioned less than hanging the foot end higher.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Nice review! well written, informative, and in the voice of a friend. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    ... For me, the aha moment on this hammock is having your head closer to the head end like the pic Brandon shows in the written how to instructions. That tends to get mentioned less than hanging the foot end higher.
    I agree, that's a good suggestion to remember for folks having a hard time finding comfort.

I'm a little taller than kitsapcowboy and a lot heavier. I find I need to exaggerate the feet high (head forward) hang - 12-18" seems to work for me. I've noticed (perhaps selection bias) that other heavy XLC users who post their experience here on HF need a higher delta than the lighter hangers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast