Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I like my XLC, I've slept in mine overnight more than 400 times and it has performed superbly.
    I run mine on the loose side with the ridge line having no tension whatsoever, not dangling in my face but quite loose.
    It seems to be a quality bit of kit that hopefully will last me a long time.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    I like my XLC, I've slept in mine overnight more than 400 times and it has performed superbly.
    I run mine on the loose side with the ridge line having no tension whatsoever, not dangling in my face but quite loose.
    It seems to be a quality bit of kit that hopefully will last me a long time.
    It's funny you say that...

I did just that a month ago for the first time as I was using a stand and had it setup on sand with a bit "too much sag" and I was not able to elevate foot end much and slept great....but I generally use it more in line with the "XLC orthodoxy" with great results .... I guess I am just comfy in a hammock - my worst enemy is getting too tight of a hang - this always causes me calf ridge discomfort.

For me - my favorite thing is the gear shelf....such a wonderful place to toss stuff I want nearby handy!!!

Nice review cowboy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the detailed write up. I have had my xlc for a couple years now and you speak the truth when it comes to set up. Once you find the spot though...good night!

Here are a couple of my thoughts:

- I find the shelf to be indispensable. I put soooo much stuff in there. I would say it is up there as one of the single best features in any hammock...industry wide. I want to order a new hammock (Sparrow/Raven/Chameleon prob) but am literally scared that I will never use it simply because a new hammock wont have my trusty shelf. It really is simplistic, so functional and genius.

- The webbing/buckle suspension is awesome. Very strong and dead simple to use.

- I found I almost NEVER use my topcover even when winter/snow camping. Not only because of condensation, but because you lose the view! Too bad the vertical panel on the left shoulder (where the zipper is) is not mesh. I never thought that would matter to me but its a big part of what i love about hammocks.

- The zipper. Not a fan of where it terminates.. just overhead about 18" short of the peak of the head end apex of the hammock. Short of a better zipper system all together (double zips ala a sparrow or Chemeleon) I would prefer that it ended up at the peak of the head end. When i tie my net back it really gets in the way of preventing a full tie back imo.

- In general I wish that Warbonnet offered some (any?) customization. I dont know that I would ever go to another brand if I could add things like a peak shelf, dual zippers and UQ hooks to an XLC. While I do love OD green, some color options would be nice too. However, I also appreciate the utilitarian ...'this is what you get and it just works..every time'... aspect to Warbonnet.
    Last edited by Burg54; 02-17-2017 at 20:02.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Your near mastery of the English language makes for a clear and delightful read, well done sir. I too love my XLC. I didn't get the top cover with it though, as I apparently didn't click on it when I thought I did. So to remedy this, Zilla sold me an extra that he had in hopes that the zippers would line up. This wasn't the case, however I was still able to use it by keeping the netting on, putting the cover over it and toggling the cover to the ends as well. I then clipped it into the tie outs with the netting. The end result is that the cover is only slightly loose and provides nearly complete coverage like it would normally. Once my UQ is on, the flap of fabric for the footbox of the cover is tucked in and it doesn't matter that its not zipped on. One advantage of doing it this way is that since its not zipped on, and the entry side tie outs of the net prevents the cover from covering the netting between the zipper and seam where the tie outs attach,it creates a vent that's just netting the length of the part thats pulled out. So even with the netting and cover on I have never had a condensation problem. Using the RL quilt hooks on my 0° Incubator also helps to keep the cover tight. Maybe give it a try and see if it helps your condensation issue. One other advantage is that having both the net AND cover on seem to keep even more heat in than just the cover would. You can see what Im talking about in the video I did starting at about the 2:50 mark ~

https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...?v=O3S8oBjhDoE

And this one at about the 3:00 mark : https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...?v=NYHbmcyP2Ak
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 02-18-2017 at 11:38.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiMark View Post
    I like my XLC...It seems to be a quality bit of kit that hopefully will last me a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    ...For me - my favorite thing is the gear shelf....such a wonderful place to toss stuff I want nearby handy!!! Nice review cowboy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed write up. I have had my xlc for a couple years now and you speak the truth when it comes to set up. Once you find the spot though...good night!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Your near mastery of the English language makes for a clear and delightful read, well done sir. I too love my XLC...https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...?v=NYHbmcyP2Ak
    Thanks, guys, for your comments and for your experience-based observations and suggestions.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    WB XLC 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc10°/Bur10°
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    Your near mastery of the English language makes for a clear and delightful read, well done sir. I too love my XLC. I didn't get the top cover with it though, as I apparently didn't click on it when I thought I did. So to remedy this, Zilla sold me an extra that he had in hopes that the zippers would line up. This wasn't the case, however I was still able to use it by keeping the netting on, putting the cover over it and toggling the cover to the ends as well. I then clipped it into the tie outs with the netting. The end result is that the cover is only slightly loose and provides nearly complete coverage like it would normally. Once my UQ is on, the flap of fabric for the footbox of the cover is tucked in and it doesn't matter that its not zipped on. One advantage of doing it this way is that since its not zipped on, and the entry side tie outs of the net prevents the cover from covering the netting between the zipper and seam where the tie outs attach,it creates a vent that's just netting the length of the part thats pulled out. So even with the netting and cover on I have never had a condensation problem. Using the RL quilt hooks on my 0° Incubator also helps to keep the cover tight. Maybe give it a try and see if it helps your condensation issue. One other advantage is that having both the net AND cover on seem to keep even more heat in than just the cover would. You can see what Im talking about in the video I did starting at about the 2:50 mark ~

https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...?v=O3S8oBjhDoE

And this one at about the 3:00 mark : https://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=...?v=NYHbmcyP2Ak

This is interesting. When I first got my XLC it had a defect in the top cover, so Brandon sent me a new top cover and it fit like a glove. Ever since then I have wondered why he doesn't sell it separately. I assumed they would all fit like mine did. I guess they don't.
    “The word hammockable (Meaning: two trees that are the perfect distance apart between which a hammock can be hung) is not in the dictionary, but it should be.”

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Really? The reason the one I got didn't work was because the zipper didn't start in the same spot that the teeth on the hammock do. So they will zip together but the cover ends up crooked and the end toggles don't line up. I've heard a few different reasons as to why it is that way. I always thought that it was different batches of zippers potentially not fitting together, but that's definetly not it. It would be nice to have it fit perfectly but my fix works OK. I wish I would have gotten ahold of Brandon after I realized my mistake when it came it the mail, but I didn't BC I thought there was no way to get one at that point.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Images
    Nice review! I have been using my WBBB XLC for almost a year now. I made the switch from the ground and decided I was not going to pussy foot around with a starter hammock... I went right to the WBBB XLC and have never looked back.

Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.....
    Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.......

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Web/buckles
    Excellent review! I already own an XLC and this makes me want another one lol. Don't tell the wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not often that I seldom do something. . .
    OUTDOORS with CHRIS YouTube channel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Top and Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I have the exact same setup and love it. I am a little shorter that you and it sounds like I hang with the ridgeline a little tighter that you but not too tight but once I figured out the angle for me I find it very comfortable. I just bought mine last fall and have only used the top cover once so far. I think it was just above 20 degrees and only noticed some very slight condensation around the top of my topquilt. Then again it may have just been drool :-). But I could certainly tell the difference in temp with the top cover on. Like someone else said I prefer not to use the top cover for the view but I am sure it will come in handy when I push the limits a little.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast