Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hammock Straps: Tack stitch vs. Box X stitch...and everything inbetween

I have been reading through some of the earlier threads about DIY suspension systems and the best stitch for shear strength and durability. I currently use a PP 1' webbing strap and have been sewing 210D Swan brand high tensile thread (which our machine can just barely handle) in a box X stitch pattern about 1' x 1' between loops. I realize now this should be spaced 2 or 3x the width, so implementing the correction now.

We have contemplated buying a bar tacking machine to handle all of our straps we sell commercially, but after reading some other threads it sounds like that may not be necessary. Im currently asking my partner which sewing machines we use exactly (a home Juki machine), and I know that will help. We believe we are trying to do an industrial stitch with industrial thread on a machine that may not be able to handle it, which is why we are considering a tack machine.

Someone recommended this pattern: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...8&d=1392267873

the science behind this "W" pattern with a box seems to run parallel with the length of the strap and increases the shear strength? Is that correct?

To be honest Im a bit more lost and confused than when I started, but if I can avoid a bar tacking machine without compromising strength then I'd be one happy camper.

Thanks in advance for the help, guys and gals!

Brian

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Brian.

How exactly will your straps be implemented?

I'm assuming you're sewing a loop in the webbing? If so, where/how will that loop feature into your suspension?

I ask because it does matter, quite a bit.

With my setup, I don't bartack, only box stitch. It's held just fine on several suspensions and a lot of hangs. However. When I hang, the load doesn't sit directly on the sewn loop. I pass the looped end around the tree, then pass the free end through the loop, basically creating a larkshead. So, the loop only holds the tension of keeping the strap around the tree, NOT the full load of the hammock. I can get away with a (potentially) much weaker stitch.

That's not to say that bartacking is stronger. There's a delicate balance in how/where bartacks are used, and a lot of debate as to whether they're necessary or even dangerous. I know they DO weaken material when overdone. It's also possible that a traditional box stitch is actually stronger without bartacking.

If you're using your sewn loop to support the full tension of the hammock, I would suggest doing some of your own testing. Set up a hanging scale and a come-along, for instance, and do break runs (tension the stitching until it breaks).

Not sure if this helps at all, but thats my .02.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Suspension
    DIY Cinch buckles
    bethandevans.com was a favorite resource of mine until it disappeared a few months ago. The internet archive still has a copy of it though.

"Sewn Webbing" starts about half way down the page. His research and testing is related to OCR jack line requirements for sailing, but he also discusses the sewing of climbing webbing and parachute webbing. While those requirements are much higher than what might be required of typical hammock suspension, his conclusions make for solid guidelines, and I've followed them in all my sewn webbing projects (about 32 pieces so far, for my own personal use and for the boys in my Boy Scout troop).

I first did 4 box stitches of 1" a la diygearsupply instructions. Then I heard that bar tacks are better so I did that. Then I started doing 3 1" boxes with 2 bar tacks. They all held. The straps with 4 boxes are the ones that I use the most.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I used to bar tac but now this is how i do it simple quick strong and has never let me down.
    I use tera 60 thread.

I hang off it no problem.
    Last edited by Tacblades; 02-16-2017 at 10:47.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Tacblades

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images

I have always liked a box & X stitch for strength on webbing and also like a stretch stitch on the machine, like I show here.

https://youtu.be/u1JL_e2SwkU

The zig zag bars that tacblades uses are essentially a stretch stitch in the direction that force is applied.

The XXX stretch stitch is reliable on all sorts of applications, though I think the W design would also be great.

The advantage of the X or W is that they spread more stitches per inch on the diagonal than when sewing parallel or perpendicular.

They all would work well.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images

What kind of loops are you planning?
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I have always liked a box & X stitch for strength on webbing and also like a stretch stitch on the machine, like I show here.

The zig zag bars that tacblades uses are essentially a stretch stitch in the direction that force is applied.

The XXX stretch stitch is reliable on all sorts of applications, though I think the W design would also be great.

The advantage of the X or W is that they spread more stitches per inch on the diagonal than when sewing parallel or perpendicular.

Woo hoo a new channel for me to watch, already learnt some good tips, i like the needle sizing method not seen that before
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post

Wow. So hi-tech! I pretty much use one machine, one needle, one stitch length to do everything....

Just an FYI, I also box stitch, but only do one box (around 2" long) with a single pass on the edges. This has held for many, many hangs on several hammocks. That's not to say your way isn't stronger (I'm sure it is, after looking at it), but maybe that extra strength is unnecessary? In reality, there isn't a terribly high amount of tension on those loops. Almost all the force is transferred to the tree via the solid sections of webbing.

Anyway, I'm now addicted to your channel! Thanks! =P
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast