Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yes, you are correct, and it makes sense that what matters most would be that initial stitch.

I have seen Kammock straps and they employ the same idea, resting the carabiner right on the stitch. I believe they are using a much stronger stitch and the material is likely much more durable as I couldnt break theirs. Im thinking this can work, and frankly my test was to break it, but it took me some time to do so, and likey the case if using the hammcok correctly, even 50 times, there is no way this will break.

Im wondering if my problem is the type of thread. It is a thick, like a twine, and wondering if I got a stronger thinner thread that is more closly sewn together, that this is be even better. This is what Kammock does.

But your quphemism makes a good point as well, and something I should be considering, maybe nippin this whole concern in the bud. Im just feel with a couple twesaks and the proper thread and needle + stitch type, then it might be better.

I also dont have great methods for testing strength, any approach you would reccomend? Im just bouncing all my weight on the rolloed up hammock attached to pillars.

Anyways, thank you so much for the insight, and enjoy your videos

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Hnnm i wonder if you can machine sew with thin dyneema fishing line like spiderline ??

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Tacblades

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Changing thread may be the ticket. You are really close!
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Senior Member Theguywitheyebrows's Avatar
    Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacblades View Post
    I used to bar tac but now this is how i do it simple quick strong and has never let me down.
    I use tera 60 thread.

I hang off it no problem.
    I always do a box with ziggyzaggy lines filling it up and have had no issues. THIS looks way easier, is it as sturdy? Seems pretty tough
    J-Bend HERE -> http://youtu.be/Rk-P-MVnMPk
    J. Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug Emery
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Thanks to dscotthep for the link in post #3. It adds considerably to my understanding of sewn splices, particularly to the difference between end to end splices and end loop splices. I have always used parallel rows of straight stitching, based on the Cal Magnussan paper referenced in small type in the first link. Seeing now that the thread is only stressed evenly in end to end splices, I will change my sewing pattern a bit for the end loops on my tree straps. Clearly, sewing more stitching lines works better than simply sewing longer ones. I generally do 8 lines about 8" long, but 16 lines 4" long would be much stronger, since the stitches close to the end of the splice bear more of the load.

That's the scientific part of this post, now for a story, bearing in mind angry sparrow's admonition that "the plural of anecdote is not data". I needed to move a large tree that had fallen across a hiking trail, and I didn't have the big tow straps I usually use to fasten to a load or anchor a come-along, so I used some 1" kevlar tree straps at each end. In between was a 2-ton come-along (ratchet hoist) and 50 ft. of 3/8" Amsteel. The tree was way too big (maybe 24" diameter), so it didn't move, and the one of the straps broke. (I went back with a chain saw and moved the part of the tree across the trail.) It was the kevlar strap that broke, not the end loop stitched with Gutermann Tera 60 thread using the pattern described.

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    Broke a Kevlar strap tugging on a tree? gnarly! Wish I coulda seen that!
    J. Garcia
    "The only thing perfect in this hammock world is the sleep" @ 6:52 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    I always do a box with ziggyzaggy lines filling it up and have had no issues. THIS looks way easier, is it as sturdy? Seems pretty tough
    Seems very sturdy i havent been able to make then fail yet. 3 separate threads are important.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    Tacblades

Hammock
    DUTCHWARE HEXON 1.0
    Tarp
    GoldenEagle Tarp
    Insulation
    New River/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    J-bend on straps
    Images
    With about 1/8" or so from the edge, seems like close, wide stitches would work, with like 1/8" or less separating the vertical 'bars' would be highly aesthetic and sturdy to boot. If no one beats me to the punch, which is likely to happen as my thread injector is elsewhere, space to work is limited for now, and when space becomes available it will be dedicated to the clew-ification (thats a george w bush word for you) of the new river uq, ima give that a shot. Ehh, straps are easy
    J. Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Theguywitheyebrows View Post
    Do you hang your carabiner or hook directly on this stitch? Im just curious of your strap design and how you use this stitch for your straps. Im wondering if this can be used to directly hold the carabiner, and also do you have to have a zig zag machine to pull this stitch off?

I would really like to see this in action!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast