Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment

Maiden Flight of the Raven

My pre-owned arrived yesterday. Of course I could hardly wait to set it up from the suspension in the garage where my WBRR resides. However, my DIY UQs are made for my hammocktent 90 degree and WBRR hammocks. This simply wouldn't work for the Raven. What is a feller to do?

In spite of all the comments about pads being unsatisfactory and squirting about when used in a single layer GE hammock, I decided it was either sit on the porch or get off my duff and run with the big dogs. Therefore, last night I used my partially inflated Downmat 7 MW UL in my Raven. Results? It was simply wonderful. I could easily sit on the pad in the hammock, pivot my feet in, and squirm the pad with me on top into the necessary diagonal lay. It was a very comfortable night with no hint of calf ridge (even if there was a ridge it would have been totally mitigated by the pad). I was toasty warm at 27*F in the garage (it was 12*F outside). I slept very well, mostly on my back, but spent some of the night was on my side where I normally spend most of the night. Most surprising was how well the Downmat performed by staying in place without squirting this way or that.

The only downside was I'm given to enjoying a large mug of Orange Spice tea with a couple spoonfuls of Stephens Orange Creme Cocoa. Unfortunately, this necessitated arising several times to take care of duties such as putting more wood in the wood stove inside the house and etc.

I was so enthused by the experience that the Raven is now set up out in the snow free camping spot in the yard, i.e. under some spruce trees. I have attached a couple of pics to show the diagonal lay (This is left lay isn't it???) and the 'camp spot'. The tarp is a second hand HH that I don't mind getting spruce pitch on because it was an inexpensive hand me down. Maybe I will get the hang, so to speak, of the GE side after all.

P2150002.jpgP2150022.jpg

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    That's quite the colorful setup!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    a large mug of Orange Spice tea with a couple spoonfuls of Stephens Orange Creme Cocoa.

ok, what?!? I need a video of this concoction, I'm having a tough time imagining it, lol

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Good lookin' hammock. The Raven is quite an interesting concept. I enjoy seeing more reviews come out on it.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    (Bear with me as I see if I can include multiple quotes in one post. I am assuming you do this by copy/past and html codes???). Perhaps there Is there an easier way, like Go Advanced?

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    That's quite the colorful setup!
    Yes it is. Would not have been the color scheme of my choice as I am more into subdued wood tones and camo. But I couldn't turn down the pre-owned savings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    ok, what?!? I need a video of this concoction, I'm having a tough time imagining it, lol
    I'm actually a strong coffee addict, but limit it mostly to morning consumption. My wife never drinks coffee, only cocoa, ginseng, or Korean teas. She gets a variety of teas from work and since she doesn't use them, it has become my evening drink. The Stephen's Orange Creme cocoa was in the discontinued or expired bin at Smith's grocery, and try never to miss an opportunity for some scavenging as it saves $$$ to spend on my out-of-control outdoor kit acquisitions. Unfortunately my video skills seem to be limited to random videos of my dog out on the trails ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas918 View Post
    Good lookin' hammock. The Raven is quite an interesting concept. I enjoy seeing more reviews come out on it.
    I think what attracted me to it was not knowing if I was left or right lay since my other hammocks are "simply lay" in it hammocks, i.e. hammocktent 90 degree and WBRR. Being symetrical, the Raven is a "lay this way and that until you like" it hammock. Plus I didn't have to be concerned about the orientation as much when setting it up. Finally, as a rarely used pre-owned hammock at near half the price of the Sparrow or Chameleon, I thought that I might as well give go because I wasn't convinced a GE hammock would compete with either of my other two hammocks. However, the first two nights in it have been delightfully comfortable. Doesn't touch the hammocktent 90 degree for side sleeping comfort, but neither does the WBRR. On the plus side it has the nice shell cover and is simpler to get in and out of than the 90*.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post

I'm actually a strong coffee addict, but limit it mostly to morning consumption. My wife never drinks coffee, only cocoa, ginseng, or Korean teas. She gets a variety of teas from work and since she doesn't use them, it has become my evening drink. The Stephen's Orange Creme cocoa was in the discontinued or expired bin at Smith's grocery, and try never to miss an opportunity for some scavenging as it saves $$$ to spend on my out-of-control outdoor kit acquisitions. Unfortunately my video skills seem to be limited to random videos of my dog out on the trails ;-)

I want to make sure I'm not missing something tho, are you brewing tea, and then mixing hot chocolate into it?

I've got a friend who adds cream to hot apple cider, which I found bizarre but strangely tasty

inquiring minds and such!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    That sure is one nice looking hammock, enjoy!

Nice and colorful though you may need to sleep with sunglass on 8)

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
    I want to make sure I'm not missing something tho, are you brewing tea, and then mixing hot chocolate into it?

I've got a friend who adds cream to hot apple cider, which I found bizarre but strangely tasty

inquiring minds and such!
    The recipe (mind you this is the closest thing to cooking that I get). While I am waiting for the water to boil I put a couple of tables spoons of the Stephen's Orange Creme cocoa in the mug. Just before pouring in the boiling water I dangle the Orange Spice teabag into the mug, and voile'. It isn't something that I've done a lot. I just scored about eight cans of various flavors of Stephen's cocoa from the outdated or discontinued bin at Smiths. Since she drinks cocoa and I drink coffee or tea, I really got the cocoa for her. She wasn't interested in the Orange Creme, so I took it upon myself to come up with this concoction. As an aside, she really likes a huge tablespoon of Adam's Crunchy peanut butter added to her cocoa.

Hammock
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    That sure is one nice looking hammock, enjoy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
    Nice and colorful though you may need to sleep with sunglass on 8)
    Thank you, but the credit for the color scheme will have to go to the original owner. However, I have discovered at night I can not tell the difference between camo and orange/bright blue!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast