Hammock
    Dutch Netless -n- Summer Sock
    Tarp
    Superfly / Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, blubber
    Suspension
    Cinch -n- Whoopie

What do you look for in a sewing a machine?

Was in a box store last week and ran across the sewing machine display. I know nothing about sewing machines but there is a lot of stuff I would not mind taking a crack at making.

What features do you look for in a sewing machine for DIY projects here in hammock land. And maybe something that can handle heavier fabrics used for boat covers.

Thank you

I went with: Search this forum for Singer. Found a number of posts and read them. Singer 4423 kept showing up and folks saying it is a good option. Looked at ebay and found someone selling brand new ones (1 sold 5 remaining) for $100 with $12 shipping. Compared that to every where else I found them and determined it was a solid deal. Looked at the sellers feedback and noted they have been selling this model and a Singer 2XXX model for $85 for some time and have positive feedback on all of them. Hit buy it now. I received my shipping notification this morning.

Oh, and as for features - I guess whatever this model has

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    For gear making you can use just a straight stitch for almost everything. I find zig zag is useful. Most home machines will sew what you need. Picking up an older second hand machine from a sewing shop or even Good Will or Craigslist is a good way to get your feet wet for very little investment. Older machines work well even after years and years and they can be found for as little as $20. You might even be able to find one for free in your circle of family and friends.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    diy hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY sil-argon
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks
    A bobbin...
    lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd quote a certain book, but that is not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    For gear making you can use just a straight stitch for almost everything. I find zig zag is useful. Most home machines will sew what you need. Picking up an older second hand machine from a sewing shop or even Good Will or Craigslist is a good way to get your feet wet for very little investment. Older machines work well even after years and years and they can be found for as little as $20. You might even be able to find one for free in your circle of family and friends.
    Read in CrpticCrickys(?) DIY single hammock to use a zig zag along the edge. Reason? To allow for side to side stretch?
    Thanks. (only have my Moms late 1950's-early 1960's sewing machine and it is only straight stitch.

Hammock
    DIY UL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY UL Winter12
    Suspension
    Slings
    If you're sewing heavier fabrics like boat covers, etc. you're looking at a much different animal.

I had a lighter duty Singer home sewer, then a heavier all metal White machine from the 1960s that was restored, and now I have a Sailrite Ultrafeed LZ-1.

My Sailrite is a beast, and if I wasn't using it to sew prototype stuff for my business I don't know that I would be able to justify the cost. That being said, if you're looking at having a boat cover repaired, or doing some upholstery work, or repairing a few nylon bags, etc...the machine will pay for itself after a few years. On top of that the portable industrial machines sell for VERY close to what they cost new, even after a few years. I went through a lot of money repairing other sewing machines and getting tune-ups, etc. before finding the Sailrite. It can be adjusted to go through the lightest membrane fabrics you can find on Ripstopbytheroll, and in about 5 minutes of adjusting and testing will be running through 8 layers of 500 denier milspec nylon or several layers of leather without breaking a sweat.

If you're on a budget, its going to be tough to find a machine that can "do it all". I would either look for a used walking presser foot machine with an all metal "drivetrain", and an externally mounted electric motor, and then pick up one of the lighter duty home-sewer Singers to do ripstop, etc. The new singers are very much plastic and nylon construction, and you don't want to test them on something rugged or your project will get expensive very quickly.

Hammock
    DIY UL 11'
    Tarp
    DIY UL Winter12
    Suspension
    Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by IroquoisArcher View Post
    Read in CrpticCrickys(?) DIY single hammock to use a zig zag along the edge. Reason? To allow for side to side stretch?
    Thanks. (only have my Moms late 1950's-early 1960's sewing machine and it is only straight stitch.
    Zig-zagging a rolled hem on the side of a hammock is very useful when sewing a stretchy fabric like some Silnylons. If you're sewing through a more stretch resistant fabric like Robic or Silpoly's a straight stitch has worked fine for me.

If all you have is a straight stitch, just grab a stretch resistant fabric. I very rarely use the zig zag for anything other than reinforcements.

Like Bubba said almost all home sewers will have zig zags - heck, most machines I see everywhere have crazy stuff like 20 different stitch patterns. Who knows how to use all of them!? It's getting crazy out there folks...

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    For what is worth I'm using a Singer 920 Future II that was my grandmothers including the original hardwood cabinet. It hadn't been used in probably 25-30 years but a few sprays from an air duster and a fresh bit of thread and she works perfectly. (who knew thread could dry-rot? The original bit still on the bobbins turned to powder!)

I regret letting the full setup that my mom bought go. Modern Singer, nice larger cabinet, lots of spare bobbins and such (had to order the ones for the Futura and hope they fit when they get here). I never figured to need it.

Theoretically mine does button holes though I'm not sure if that takes an attachment. If it does I was wondering if this might be a good option for knotty mods on 1.6Hyper D or even as a nice finishing reinforcement on gross grain to pretty-up the knotty's?
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Oh, one that would be fun: multi-color programmable embroidery ones ($$$) for putting logos and such on the gear. WhooBuddy! (Even Shug has his logo on his hammock gear!)
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    If you toss the boat cover thing out the window-

I would just get a basic machine but a bit above the bottom of the barrel.
    https://www.amazon.com/Brother-Featu...7188535&sr=1-1
    https://www.amazon.com/SINGER-8763-C...s=singer+curvy

Both of these machines can be found for a bit less, but do a good bit to get started.
    Yar it's fine to say a straight stitch will do, but what if you want to make a bishop bag and could use a button hole? Or a fleece hat and might want a zig zag stitch. Or....

Point being... MYOG is enough of a learning curve as it is. And you may not like it either. These machines are cheap enough without being total junk. They do enough of everything that you aren't pigeon holed.
    Most importantly- you can buy them easy, plug them in, and start.

I admire those folks here who enjoy the hobby of sewing, and the further hobby of restoring old machines. But if you just want to sit and make gear pretty quickly so you can get back out and use said gear... nothing wrong with a modern machine.
    Yes, my singer curvy eventually crapped out after 2 years. (my brother is my wife's machine and doing well)
    Before my singer died though I built at least $10,000 of gear with it. Hammocks, quilts, backpacks, tarps, clothes and on and on.
    Most importantly- I was actually sewing the day I bought it and quickly making gear and learning to sew. Not learning to operate or repair a sewing machine. Also learning what I liked, used, didn't, etc. so that when it came time to buy nicer stuff... I knew what I wanted.

If you really get into it, I wish more folks had pushed me sooner into an industrial. They really don't cost much more than a quality home machine... sometimes less.
    The Juki 8700 DDL is an amazing machine and can be found for $600-800 for an entry level. Buy that and you can probably talk boat covers.

• + New Posts