Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Silpoly is not necessarily lighter...the 30d silpoly the next batch of our camo is made from will be about 1.35 osy, current 30d silnylon is 1.3 osy, and current 20d silpoly is right at 1.2 osy. Then you have some companies offering silnylon in a 20d version. My 20d silpoly is heavier than RSBTR's 20d silpoly which they advertise as 1.1 osy...So the weights have nothing to do with the material and everything to do with a combo of denier, threadcount, and coating weight.

In general nylon has a higher tear and tensile(breaking) strength than the same weight polyester simply because nylon is all-around stronger pound for pound than polyester is. Poly will stretch less (when soaked or otherwise) and it will absorb less water weight. Poly still stretches some, just not as much as nylon. The extra stretch of nylon adds to it's strength though, in that it acts as a built in shock absorber during a heavy wind gust, so with poly stretching less in that situation, in theory the nylon tarp would have a lower wind load due to extra stretch. Is the extra stretch and breaking strength needed? Only time will tell, but other companies have been using 20d silpoly for awhile with what seem like good results.

I can really only speak for our 30d silnylon, we've had excellent long term durability results from that. We've just started using poly and we're not even certain at this point if we'll be sticking with a 30d or 20d poly, we'll eventually decide based on how well the 20d seems to hold up. The 30d silnylon is still stronger than the slightly heavier 30d poly though.

Ploy is said to have better UV resistance, but don't think you can treat your tarp any differently than before, I had a polyester tarp outside for about 2 months and the fabric lost ALOT of strength from the sun exposure, so you still want to avoid things like that regardless of whether your tarp is poly or nylon

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopies and Tree
    Thanks for all of the info! Lots to think about before I order! I'm tempted to go with silnylon because I'm familiar with it. But I wouldn't mind trying something new as well! We will see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    If you really want the Superfly in 30d silnylon Sigma 3 survival has them in stock and selling them for the same price with free shipping.

https://survivalgear.us/products/war...-superfly-tarp

Sorry! Checked with survivalgear and they do not have them in stock! They just haven't updated their website.
    Last edited by dbosler; 02-20-2017 at 11:10.

Images
    30d silnylon tarps should be back in stock any day now

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I cannot recall which one I ordered, can you tell the difference from look or touch between silnylon and silpoly?

Thanks from a NOOB!
    Instagram: TakeaHikeSpike
    Web: spike.ca
    YouTube: TakeaHikeSpike

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Take a fools advice and embrace the new technology.Silnylon is 20th Century technology.I'm no scientist but all I know is I have an older HH 12X11.5 silnylon tarp and a new Xenon wide made by Jarad from Dutch's stock.The Xenon packs down to half the size of the comparable sized silnylong.Both tarps are the same dimensions and weigh within a oz or so of each other the way I have them configured with guyouts and ridgelines and stuff sacks etc.Xenon is going to be a nice tight setup.You will like it................

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Silnylon may be 20th Century but you can't go wrong with either material. I have had my silnylon superfly in a thunderstorm and had no issues staying dry as a bone and I didn't even have all the doors closed

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    I cannot recall which one I ordered, can you tell the difference from look or touch between silnylon and silpoly?
    Not sure if it's a sure thing for all tarps, but my nylon has a crosshatch pattern (squares) if you look close. The silpoly does not.

Hammock
    WBRR or Clark North American
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Ridge Reaper
    Suspension
    Cinch/Helios/Atlas
    I don't think you'll l go wrong with either. There's a reason so many manufacturers sell both. Personally I use Silnylon but not for any good reason based on science or fact. I can site personal experience and compare to fellow hammocker's experiences but that would be a pool of 10 people or so...

Try something and figure out what gives you confidence in your gear.

Hammock
    SLBBXLC
    Tarp
    ThunderFly 20D
    Insulation
    Wooki/DiamondBack
    Suspension
    Loops/FishHooks
    Silnylon has a ripstop grid on the fabric. The Silpoly tarp fabric is plain and smooth.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast