Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles

FL > Near Sarasota -- Myakka State Forest or Myakka River State Park recommendations

Hello all--got moved from Sheboygan down to Sarasota (Feb 1!) so it's time to start planning my first camping trip. Can anyone give any recommendation for specific, hammock-friendly sites at either Myakka State Forest or Myakka River State Park? Any suggestions for the primitive sites they offer at either park?

I better get some permethrin, eh?

Thanks much!

Dan
    Last edited by deckster; 02-14-2017 at 18:07.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Glad to see that you've made it down. I don't have any info on those sites but we are having the Sherpa Hang this weekend in the Arbuckle Tract of the Lake Wales Ridge State Forest. You are welcome to come out and join the group and meet everyone.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...al-Sherpa-hang

We do most of our hangs in LWRSF, Green Swamp and Ocala. All state or national forest with far fewer regulations. Some others have been in Myakka and may have info for you. Hope to see you soon.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Glad to see that you've made it down. I don't have any info on those sites but we are having the Sherpa Hang this weekend in the Arbuckle Tract of the Lake Wales Ridge State Forest. You are welcome to come out and join the group and meet everyone.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...al-Sherpa-hang

We do most of our hangs in LWRSF, Green Swamp and Ocala. All state or national forest with far fewer regulations. Some others have been in Myakka and may have info for you. Hope to see you soon.
    Hey Olddog, thanks for the welcome! I wish I could this weekend, but I have family visiting from up north, escaping the snow! I will definitely make it to one of these group hangs soon... Have a great time!!

dweckster

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I am in Sarasota, but I haven't done much camping in Myakka. I would be interested in what you find out. Lately I have been disappointed with the "car camping" options which I always seem to gravitate toward because of the group I hang out with. It is always hard to get a spot when you want one. Myakka has a few trails and I think they allow hammocks. I would call the park and ask in order to get reliable information.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit, SBP
    Tarp
    bushcraftUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    HG econ 30*
    Suspension
    straps w/ whoopies
    If you were interested in meeting up and checking it out I will make the ride.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles
    I'm going to go hike those trails one of these weekends. I'll take pics and report back on the primitive campsites.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    When I look out my kitchen window, I can see the northern border of the Myakka State Forest about a hundred yards away. You'll like it until the summer rainy season. Then, the trails are flooded and the mosquitoes are murderous. Very primitive camping. Mostly pine and palmetto in there. The Forest Service just burnt a lot of it, making it a little easier to get around in. Without controlled burns, those palmettoes would be impassible for human hikers.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG cf w/ doors 12'
    Insulation
    EE TQ
    Suspension
    WB buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    When I look out my kitchen window, I can see the northern border of the Myakka State Forest about a hundred yards away. You'll like it until the summer rainy season. Then, the trails are flooded and the mosquitoes are murderous. Very primitive camping. Mostly pine and palmetto in there. The Forest Service just burnt a lot of it, making it a little easier to get around in. Without controlled burns, those palmettoes would be impassible for human hikers.
    Hey Fiddler, I was out there yesterday, checking out the trails, walked a couple miles.... I hope to get out there in March for a night or two. I didn't go by one of the primitive sites yet, I'll try that another weekend. I was short on time yesterday, sadly! IMG_2269.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I'm coming down to FLorida in March and was planning on doing March 15-16th at Fisheating Creek. The Myakka River is a great river. I used to launch from a place called Snook Haven. I couldn't tell you much about hangin as I only hung for one night and that was stealth camping.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

• + New Posts