Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

Silpoly tarp - hopes crushed within 5 minutes

I had high hopes for my new .93 membrane silpoly tarp. After using two tarps made from silnylon for 5 years, I thought the poly would be the perfect material to do everything nylon could, but without the sag when wet.

So I went on a dayhike to set up and test everything out. I hung my hammock and attached the tarp to each tree. Before I could guy it out, the tarp brushed up against some branches above. Nothing out of the ordinary; I've never babied my silpoly in the past. But I soon noticed a hole in my tarp! Then another...then another...then another...

I want to make it clear that I'm pretty much comparing apples to apples here in terms of useage. Yes snakeskins would have prevented it from blowing into the branch, but I didn't use skins for the first 5 years of hanging tarps and had no problems there. I can patch these holes, but if these first 5 minutes are any indication of how things are going to go moving forward, I don't want to bother.

Now I can't knock the material manufacturer or tarp maker; they provided a really nice product and it is what it is. But I'm wondering if this is approaching "stupid light"? After all, a tarp is really your only protection from the elements...quite an important piece of gear.

I know I already complained about cuben, now this. I guess I want to have my cake, eat it, save a piece for later, all for 0 calories and 0 fat. It's not gonna happen, so I guess I need to stick with what I know.

Just an FYI from someone that takes really good care of his gear. If you've purchased anything from me in the past, you know. $160 blown I guess I'll try and sell it cheap.

I guess kitsapcowboy was right on this one.

Last edited by OneClick; 02-14-2017 at 11:25.

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    LLG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Well, that's a bummer. I was looking at some membrane tarps as well. Might just stick with the regular silpoly.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    I always go a bit heavier on tarps, the pu4000 is nice, but with high winds and shock loads and stuff i dont want to be running around with ulra thin fabrics.
    I also like waxed canvas tarps but thats another story.
    Tacblades

Images
    Considered just putting on a few fuse-on patches?

Hammock
    DH TB #1832; DW Chameleon; DIYs
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    LL20°GP/LH,SLD,DIY
    Suspension
    Amsteel/web/bling
    Images
    Ouch, that's rough. I feel for you.

I haven't tried any of the sub 1oz materials, but this just reinforces my desire NOT to. On my end I went from heavy PU coated tarps, dropped to 1.9oz and thought that drop was amazing. I now have 1.1 silpoly, intruder silnylon and xenon sil in my tarps and I can't imagine trying to push it lower. All of these seem robust enough, but I'm even very cautious will all of them.

I don't have any real desire or reason to replace any that I have or am currently working on, but if I were to, I'd like to have something more balanced between the 1.1 and 1.9 weight range. Thought RBTR's 1.6 would give a good balance of weight and and a little more durability.
    I'm not a distance hiker, so weight isn't that big of an issue for me, but the more midweight range would give me greater peace of mind.

Even though it is a very unfortunate situation for you, I do appreciate you sharing your experience. Wish you well in your quest to finally find that perfect tarp.

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    For the holes i would just glue on some small fabric patches front and back with seam sealer, no need to sew.
    Tacblades

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Considered just putting on a few fuse-on patches?
    Yeah I mentioned that I could patch it, but don't feel like bothering if this is any indication going forward. Literally five minutes of use. Yes it was my fault, but comparing it to my other tarps it doesn't give me a good feeling. Certainly not something I want to take on an actual trip.

This isn't a great analogy, but it's like buying a new car and having it rust within six months. I can go get some Bondo and slap that on, but would I really want to do that?

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    That blows! I'm sorry.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Is that the PU-coated or not? The PU-coated is low on puncture resistance, the non-PU is a little more durable. I've had a non-PU coated MEMBRANE tarp for about a year now, no issues at all. Don't use snakeskins (yet).
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    That blows! I'm sorry.
    I found something else that didn't work. Not a total loss. Always tweaking and trying new things.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast