warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Maccat deluxe
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, & TQ
    Suspension
    amsteel, treehuger
    Images
    i honestly haven't packed it down yet. all of my cold ground or hanging has been in the back yard. i have some insultex here too. i'm thinking of a double or triple layer UQ. it would be an easy starter project for me. i haven't sewed anything since 9th grade home ec. class. haha. baffles will be much warmer, especially for the little weight they add.

Hammock
    I have two HH's, 1 Scout, 1 ExpAsym
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    Trees! :)
    If you ever pack your SB tight, let me know how small it gets. Not that it'll make much difference... I'll end up w/ a quilt that packs however it packs!
    I was thinking of "no-see-um" mesh for the baffles. depends on what I can find cheap

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    Thanks to Scott of Backwoods Daydreamer, I've got my material coming in!
    I was called out of town (work) for a couple of days, so I haven't placed my order yet. It'll be placed at the end of business hours today, so if even one single person is interested, let me know ASAP.

Many thanks to those who've helped w/ ideas on my quilt projects!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedinski View Post
    The one you have is 650, though?
    How small does it "smash down" to?

I've read some of the threads that talk about how much "thickness" to use for different temperatures, but I assume these numbers are for 800+ fill down. I don't know that 650 down has the same insulating value. ??

My current thought is to use baffles. I've done a fair bit of sewing, but this is my first quilt/lightweight project. I doubt I'll have trouble with quilting a rectangular quilt.
    !
    Ok, if you read about the thickness of the baffles, you know that the wider the baffle, the lower the temp rating is (like 1.5" = 40 degrees & 4"=0 degrees) Now you need to know how much down to put into these baffles. Here's your formula.... LxWxH / fill power of your down= amount of down in each baffle.
    If you're making baffles... H will be the finished height after you sew it to the front and the back of your quilt
    W is the width of each chamber that you'll be filling with down
    You can adjust your amounts of down for each chamber too. Like say you tend to sleep with cold feet, just add more down in those chambers.

Have fun making your new quilts!!! Just take your time and think things through... I made my winter under quilt & top quilt with cheapo down too and it's working out fantasticly for me. I put a whole pound of down in each and so far I've been able to test it at 19 degrees +a wind chill and stayed toasty warm. I can stuff both into my backpack and still have room for my other stuff. I haven't weighed them though.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big.
    Insulation
    None.Insultex soon
    Suspension
    Thanks, TinaLouise!
    So, if I understand correctly, the 650 down will have the same insulating value per inch of thickness -- it'll just take more weight in down to fill each baffle.
    That answers my main question! I was worried that 650 down might need to be thicker, as well as having a higher density (i.e. that it might have less insulating value).

What was the "fill power" of the cheapo down you used? I'm glad to hear it's working out for you, both stuff-size-wise and temp wise!

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Ted, I think Tina has you on the right path as far as the formula to find the amount of down, but it seems like most people add some overstuff to the quilts. Hopefully others with more exp. will chime in here, but I was thinking 15-20% was the norm for overstuff.
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12