Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Singer 4423 heavy duty sewing machine?

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has this machine or knows anything about it? Any comments, suggestions, or feedback is much appreciated. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on it on Amazon for $130 and I'm just trying to see if anyone has this machine?

SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed Sewing Machine with Metal Frame and Stainless Steel Bedplate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VWXZQ0..._b0BOyb25WHSBN

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Sheltowee 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Singer 4423 heavy duty sewing machine?

I had bought a similar style machine back in 2013. I used it for everything. I accidentally used it with glue back Velcro and gummed up the needle. I did a lot of rookie mistakes in the beginning but to this day she keeps running. The model I bought is the 4411.

SINGER 4411 Heavy Duty Extra-High Sewing Speed Sewing Machine with Metal Frame and Stainless Steel Bedplate https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VWXZKG..._OnDOyb5QFWWGX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I like how this machine has analog/mechanical controls.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Bought one for 55 at bargain hunt in Lexington, but you can find much cheaper than 130. good strong machine!
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    I have exactly that machine. It is more powerful than my wife's basic Singer. The main thing I don't like about it is the universal motor on it stalls when you try to start slow. Then you push down on the pedal more, and it jumps from stalled to machine gun warp drive speed. Definitely take your pedal foot shoe off. Jellyfish gave me that tip, and it does help you get better control. After working with it a while I got to where I could deal with this better.

I've looked into how to hack it to design a speed control with a stop needle down or stop needle up setting, but haven't gotten around to it. I'd like to get a cheap, junk singer to hack that first so I know it works before risking it on the 4423.

A universal motor is one that is supposed to be able to work on either ac or dc. The foot pedal on the 4423 works on AC. It uses a triac and diac circuit, I'm pretty sure. I measured the voltage out of the pedal. The motor comes out of stall at about 50 to 60 Vac. Anyway, it might be possible to add sensors to the machine to sense up and down positions, and to provide motor speed feedback. Then apply feedback control to the drive signal to stabilize the commanded speed. After you've gone to this much trouble, it wouldn't be much more effort to add in the max speed setting.

Anyway, it's a good basic machine. I'd love to have the one Tac Blades uses, though. If I did enough sew, er ah thread injecting, I'd probably just look for an older used machine like that, and have it refurbished, or figure out how to do it myself. Although, the hacking approach would be interesting too.

I discussed a lot of this in a previous thread a couple of months ago. I found a video on YouTube by a Micah Elizabeth Scott where she hacked a machine and replaced the motor with a dc motor and did a micro speed control with up and down stop. Her approach was quite invasive. I was wanting to just add sensors and stick with the existing motor if I was going to mess with it.

Anyway, probably way too much information.

Bottom line, the 4423 is a good, basic machine. It is pretty powerful. I've seen videos of people stitching mid-weight leather with it...

mathineer

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I was wondering if this is the same machine as you have, Mathineer.
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I was wondering if this is the same machine as you have, Mathineer.
    Well, wonder no more! :-)

It is a good machine, and pretty powerful. If I made my living sewing, I'd get something else.

mathineer

Awesome thank you all for the replies! I will hunt around to try and find it cheaper than $130.

Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    I have exactly that machine. It is more powerful than my wife's basic Singer. The main thing I don't like about it is the universal motor on it stalls when you try to start slow. Then you push down on the pedal more, and it jumps from stalled to machine gun warp drive speed. Definitely take your pedal foot shoe off. Jellyfish gave me that tip, and it does help you get better control. After working with it a while I got to where I could deal with this better.

I've looked into how to hack it to design a speed control with a stop needle down or stop needle up setting, but haven't gotten around to it. I'd like to get a cheap, junk singer to hack that first so I know it works before risking it on the 4423.

A universal motor is one that is supposed to be able to work on either ac or dc. The foot pedal on the 4423 works on AC. It uses a triac and diac circuit, I'm pretty sure. I measured the voltage out of the pedal. The motor comes out of stall at about 50 to 60 Vac. Anyway, it might be possible to add sensors to the machine to sense up and down positions, and to provide motor speed feedback. Then apply feedback control to the drive signal to stabilize the commanded speed. After you've gone to this much trouble, it wouldn't be much more effort to add in the max speed setting.

Anyway, it's a good basic machine. I'd love to have the one Tac Blades uses, though. If I did enough sew, er ah thread injecting, I'd probably just look for an older used machine like that, and have it refurbished, or figure out how to do it myself. Although, the hacking approach would be interesting too.

I discussed a lot of this in a previous thread a couple of months ago. I found a video on YouTube by a Micah Elizabeth Scott where she hacked a machine and replaced the motor with a dc motor and did a micro speed control with up and down stop. Her approach was quite invasive. I was wanting to just add sensors and stick with the existing motor if I was going to mess with it.

Anyway, probably way too much information.

Bottom line, the 4423 is a good, basic machine. It is pretty powerful. I've seen videos of people stitching mid-weight leather with it...

mathineer
    I have also looked into this for my 1970's Kenmore. I have one of these http://m.harborfreight.com/router-sp...rol-43060.html that I use to control the speed of my shop vacuum that is used to create pressure and clear dust from my blasting cabinet and it works great. I have always wondered if I could use a controller like that hooked into my sewing machine to use the dial to control the speed so it won't jump to warp speed on me because my kenmore does that also. Thoughts?

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    It is more powerful than my wife's basic Singer. The main thing I don't like about it is the universal motor on it stalls when you try to start slow. Then you push down on the pedal more, and it jumps from stalled to machine gun warp drive speed.
    I have a cheaper model Singer, and run into the same problem. The solution I've always used, is to turn the large wheel on the right side of the case to nudge it along at the slow speed. That gets it past the stall, while keeping the speed slow. I'm curious if that approach works on the 4423?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast