Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hammock Fabric - does more expensive = more durable

Hey, folks!

I'm a backyard hammock weenie right now as I practice and prepare for my first outing. I just bought a new ENO hammock because my old one ripped. It was a pretty spectacular rip too! My hammock literally pooped me out onto the ground!!! I was disappointed but I got the ENO and moved on.

This afternoon I was hanging out back and monkeying around with various tarp configurations. When I started to crawl back in the ENO I noticed that it already has 2 small holes in the fabric right where my butt lays! ACK!!!!! As it turns out, I hung it a tad low and my butt just barely scraped the ground when I was crawling out but that was enough to put two tiny little holes. I'm going to purchase a patch kit and hope that holds.

All that to ask this question of the group: When I purchase a more expensive hammock (Warbonnet or other well-known brands), will I be getting a hammock made from more durable materials than my ENO?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    yes please
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    kevlar straps

Hammock Fabric - does more expensive = more durable

ENO Doublenest and Warbonnet BBXLC in 1.7 both use 70 denier fabrics. ENO's is nylon taffeta vs Warbonnet's ripstop nylon. I would imagine the ripstop nylon would be sturdier than the taffeta. Other hammock designs in 1.0 - 1.6 fabrics feature a 20 - 40 denier rating. I have hammocks in quite a few fabric styles and haven't put a tear in any of them except my ENO Doublenest which has a couple tiny holes in it. But that's the one I usually get out for the kids.

Here's some info from a few years back

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...l=1#post238837
    Last edited by Kroma; 02-12-2017 at 21:54.

Images
    Surprisingly, many more expensive hammocks may be less durable because they are designed to be lightweight and treated gently.

If you specifically want durable, get a heavier ripstop fabric or double layered hammock.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Surprisingly, many more expensive hammocks may be less durable because they are designed to be lightweight and treated gently.

If you specifically want durable, get a heavier ripstop fabric or double layered hammock.
    Second this. The 1.9 oz ripstop we always used in the old days is going to be way more weight-tolerant and abrasion resistant than lighter, more expensive fabrics. At a compromise of weight of course.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Dutch sells three weights of Hexon wide-- I think they are 1.1 1.6 and 2.4 (my numbers might be off) the heaviest fabric is toughest.
    And PapaSmurf offers a hammock that is tough enough withstand a dogs paws and nails and not show any wear.
    And you can check with ripstopbytheroll and they probably have a heavy duty fabric.
    I had an Eno double nest--me and CoffeeGirl got in together. When we got out there was a small run in fabric.
    Good luck on hanging a little higher next time--maybe your suspension stretched and maybe it stretched from using nylon strap and or rope that stretches. Stick with poly straps or Kevlar straps--they don't stretch much at all. And any rope from strap to hammock needs to be 7/8 Amstel or 1/8 Amstel--again almost zero stretch.
    I have a 12x6 hammock made with 1.6 HexonWide--very comfortable.
    You might be best to try a hammock that is around 11x5.
    Study up and make your own informed choices guesses choices guesses?? Well hike your own hike...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have tried the fans listed by other members. I did not find they moved enough air to work for me. I tried a couple of brands designed for dog crates, they wore out their battery too quick.
    I also found the bug netting held in too much heat and cut down air circulation. For me my netless RR works best. If there is no breeze I use a Fonkey type net. A damp cloth or Buff helps keep cool.
    I rarely Hang were I do not need a UQ. I leave the TQ before the UQ. I sleep really cold, even at home I use a down quilt year around.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    The most comfortable hammock I have was made out of a tablecloth for around $20. I think its 90w x 120L.
    Its this stuff right here. http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/Cr...90132_navy.htm

• + New Posts