Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    EE/HG
    Suspension
    Spiders for now

Double Dutch Tarps

Hi y'all,

Been looking for a tarp to go with me and my girlfriend's double dutch setup for backpacking since she likes the idea of sharing a tarp. I don't mind either, she's cute.

Anyway, we're looking at doing one or two shorter thru-hikes this year and hopefully tackling the AT next year. I've been looking at UGQ's 12 foot winter dream for starters. Hammock Gear did mention that they could make a 12x12 CF palace tarp, and that has my interest piqued and my wallet in tears.

Going off the basis of doing thru-hikes, so thinking weight and variable conditions, what do you guys think would be best? I know, I'm asking for the moon (and probably more.)

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I've done well with 2 under this tarp http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/213 Get it in membrane silpoly and you can get close to the weight savings of cuben with less of a hit to your wallet. 11' RL as wide as the fabric allows and you'll have good coverage for both of you. Pitch the side to the weather down, porch the other and it's enough room to hang out under. Get ties on the inside of the panel pulls to get the hammocks out of your way when you're not in them.

Winter dream is an outstanding option also. I don't have near the experience with that one though.....yet, my son just got his. Only been out a couple times with it, and I'm very impressed so far.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you have some DIY sewing skills (and access to a thread injector), you could get 2 of the Wide Asym Tarp Kits from MakeYourGear.com (the DIY Arm of Dutchware) and create yourself a 12'x12' tarp from the Xenon silicone/polyurethane coated fabric for $80 (plus shipping and some of your time). It would be plenty big enough for two hammocks and would be relatively light weight.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    I'm interested in hearing feedback on this as well. I've got a SLD Winter Haven that I may add an internal pole mod to if it will fit both under it comfortably.

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    The advice offered so far is sound.

I've reached the conclusion that if you were to attempt a thru or extended backpacking trip where you might be caught out in foul weather, separate hangs and tarps are probably a better option. The configuration of a "Double Dutch" hang makes it challenging to configure conventional tarps for adequate 360* protection against blowing/driving precipitation.

That said, my wife and I use a Kelty Noah's 12x12 and it provides adequate coverage for us with the exception of driving/blowing rain. It's heavier than the options listed above, but also less expensive.

Hammock
    Dutch 1.0
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    EE/HG
    Suspension
    Spiders for now
    I had a thought while driving from Minnesota to Mississippi the other day. I've seen pictures of people overlapping their tarps, and also of the JRB 10x11 tarp pitched in the "baker hut" pitch. My question is, if you had two 8.5x11 or 10x11 rectangular tarps w/multiple tie outs, how feasible would it be to overlap the two in the baker hut pitch to form a big ole tarp with pretty big coverage? Thoughts? Has anyone done this before?

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I overlap the two hex tarps I have to cover my spreader bar side-by-side hammocks. I overlap them lengthways, so the widest point of one hex tarp is roughly in line with the head end of the hammocks, and the widest point of the other tarp is roughly in line with the foot end of the hammocks. It ends up giving slightly more rain protection than you get with a single hex tarp covering a single hammock. You need the trees to be slightly far apart.

But it's a hassle to put up two tarps when it could be just one. I'm planning on buying or making a big ole rectangular tarp, with a pole kit, for my double hanging.

• + New Posts