Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    Superfly

Dealing with hot nights

So I know it is the middle of winter for most of you and you are focused on keeping warm, but down in Texas it is still 50+ at night. The trade off for this wonderful winter weather is from late May to mid September we are dealing with night temps in the 70's and even the 80's. Does anyone have ideas on how to stay cool at night? So far I have seen most websites saying do the opposite of what you do to stay warm and some recommendations to use a reflective layer on top of your tarp. Has anyone used a small fan, such as https://www.rei.com/product/106769/goal-zero-fan-tool ?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB SF and WL TP
    Insulation
    UGQ & HG
    Suspension
    multiple
    Images
    B/O fans that can be suspended from a ridgeline are pretty commonplace in warm temperatures. Also, I will switch over to just using a fleece sleeping bag liner in place of quilts. That's worked well for me for temperatures of 75+ degrees.
    Scarecrow on Instagram

"If somebody tells you there's a rule, break it. That's the only thing that moves things forward."
    -Hans Zimmer

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    If you want to carry a UQ just in case, you can always just pull your hammock out of it and sleep "beside" the quilt.

That ability would depend on your hammock and quilt suspension style, of course. Works great on mine though.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I use no under quilt in warm summer and use this fan to try to keep cool but with our night time temps combined with our humidity get unbearable I simply quit hanging. This fan does work good though.

fan.png

I've just started hammock camping, my first trip was actually in 20* F, a pretty cold start to hammock camping but I loved it. My question was, at what temperature do you find it to be uncomfortable? I realize that via convection, your body loses heat from under the hammock without an UQ, but at what temperature does that sort of become a moot point and it is just too hot? I'm a warm sleeper and I really tend to dislike the heat in general.

Steve

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieBuns View Post
    I've just started hammock camping, my first trip was actually in 20* F, a pretty cold start to hammock camping but I loved it. My question was, at what temperature do you find it to be uncomfortable? I realize that via convection, your body loses heat from under the hammock without an UQ, but at what temperature does that sort of become a moot point and it is just too hot? I'm a warm sleeper and I really tend to dislike the heat in general.

Steve
    For me it's when the humidity starts to hit the 80% and higher at night and the temps stay in the upper 70's to 80. That's about Mid June thru mid September for us in northern Alabama. There are a few gifts during the summer but not too many to enjoy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    I haven't used an under quilt yet. The lowest i got was about in the mid 20's. I set my hammock really low and my tarp looked like a tent it was that low. I did have a thermarest pro, 2 layers of clothing and a 20* bag. I agree with Trailslug about the to hot temps.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    DIY UCR and straps
    I wish I'd been in a hammock the last few nights. We've just had a weekend where night temps were lucky to get lower than mid 80s. Days were 110+. Of course it's summer here so night temps of 70+ are normal. I find a hammock is always a cooler option. Any breeze helps massively. No TQ or UQ depending on the individual of course and no tarp or one set up high and relatively flat. Fan will help if you can handle the sound and carrying the extra weight (if away from home/car).

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    When it gets too hot locally, I head for the North Shore of Lake Superior. The natural AC and crisp air make for dreamful nights. From Bedford, drive North on Interstate 35. After a bit more than 1100 miles the lake will be on your left.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Images
    I use the fan in the picture below. It's meant to be hung around the neck and blow upward, but with a rubber band (like those that hold broccoli together) around the base, a bit of cord and a mitten hook I can hang it on my ridgeline and move it wherever I want.

FN02001RSP.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast