Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape

The fallout of a successful kickstarter

I feel like Kickstarter is perfect for business growth in that you don't under prepare or over prepare for a new product or expansion. Instead of making 500 Chamelons and needing 1000 or making 500 and only selling 100. The 30 day window gives a business predictability and an idea of what to expect in future sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow #4280
    Insulation
    LocoLibreGear
    Suspension
    Whoopies w spiders
    Well he will still have the issue of making what the customer has ordered. He will know how many sets of suspensions to make in advance and until he gets the surveys back will only have a rough idea what fabrics to get. Though will have a good idea of zips needed etc. These can be preordered without any problems. They could make items like the accessories in advance because they will be able to sell them if they over produce for the Kickstarter. As many components will be modular they could make up a fair share of what will be needed because they have a limited range of colours to start with.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuteye View Post
    Its been exciting to see Dutch's brand grow. As an independent businessperson myself I watch others closely to learn from their path.

Dutch, once you've caught your breath(never), I'm super curious how this recent success, and your Kickstarter experience in general, have affected your strategy regarding scaling a business forward towards exponential growth and maybe more importantly, scaling your production capabilities to accommodate the volume.

Not tryna pry on business secrets. Just curious how you've dealt with the challenges of keeping up with it all, while fighting the panic of NOT being able to keep up with it. It takes a village, yes? How's it going?

I know I'm a Newbie, but I've been lurking.
    I was originally concerned we wouldn't hit the $22500 goal. The animation and vid were expensive and I didn't know how well the community would received. The fact it was funded to the degree it was is a great benefit to producing them. I am able make each component in bulk. This reduces cost and production time. We were prepared for the most part with many of the materials. We stock a lot of fabric and I had enough zippers to get started while we ordered more. I think we have everything on order now but I don't know the exact quantities of colors. But we will know that shortly enough and can bring in more faster than we can product with the materials on hand. Biggest challenge was finding more seamstresses. We have streamlined the operation so the ones we do have are only sewing. We hired someone that can do all the prep work like cutting and measuring. I just hired another full time seamstress and everyone will be getting more hours. It also is our slow season so that helped with our capacity.

I find it exciting and certainly not a burden.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Sawtooth Mountain cheapie
    Tarp
    Bluestone Mountain
    Insulation
    WL TQ/UQ
    Good to hear. I'm with Shug, though, looking for less work and more play time. Thank goodness for you youngen's!

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    CONGRATS, Dutch!
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE
    I've been watching curiously as well. Dutch seems to be a small town guy with a huge vision for quality gear and that often could lead to huge supply issues for other small businesses. Looking at how he has walked the path of business growth, starting by hiring a great team and finding a great functional development space, I have been impressed with his business' stability and growth.

I know it all depends on Dutch's vision for his little (growing) venture, but I wouldn't be surprised he could become the guy to truly bring hammock camping to the masses. Hennessey seemed to create a niche market which we are all grateful for, kind of the pioneer. But Dutch's perfection and constant innovations could be just the thing to bring this niche to the next level. I don't know how far Dutch is looking at branching out, but I could see him becoming a larger supplier and resource for ultralight hiker supplies and materials. Kind of a more technical REI. Of course he is now on the precipice between great success in the cottage industry and the risk of stepping up into the bigger volume merchandising regime.

Personally, I like having him so involved and available and approachable, however as he seems to be building a legacy I see he has a few options;

1. Status quo. Hold onto his loyal customer base and continue to dedicate his life to hammock camping.
    2. Step things up, diversify even more, incorporate and contract out much of the work and bring the gear to a larger, yet more fickle customer base.
    3. Find some international buyers to take over the business, take the profit and retire early to hike and spend time with family.
    4. Go to Vegas and bet it all on red.
    5. Pork bellies. Take the profits from the Chameleon campaign, invest them in pork bellies, make billions, then subsidize the cost of Dutch products so that every man woman and child on earth can have their own awesome Dutch gear, thereby eradicating malaria, depression, vitamin N (nature) deficiency, and pattern male balding.

Either way, Dutch has done some incredible to date and it only remains to be seen where he goes from here.
    Please enter your signature here.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    As somone who has backed many kickstarter projects, worked as part of team with a very successful kickstart, lived with the successes and failures, products that have been delivered on time, products that lagged for a year or more and some that never made it to fruition I'll make one comment; communication is everything.

Everyone recognizes issues happen but as a rule, backers want to be "in the loop", to "feel" they are really part of something.

Even when the nose is to the grindstone and people are pushing hard to 'make it happen', communication makes the difference during the process, delivering the quality product seals the deal. Dutch and team are sure to succeed as the foundation is strong, quality certain and communication excellent.

Ok, more than one thing...

Cheers to ya.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6W 11'
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    Snugpack UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    I've been watching curiously as well. Dutch seems to be a small town guy with a huge vision for quality gear and that often could lead to huge supply issues for other small businesses. Looking at how he has walked the path of business growth, starting by hiring a great team and finding a great functional development space, I have been impressed with his business' stability and growth.

I know it all depends on Dutch's vision for his little (growing) venture, but I wouldn't be surprised he could become the guy to truly bring hammock camping to the masses. Hennessey seemed to create a niche market which we are all grateful for, kind of the pioneer. But Dutch's perfection and constant innovations could be just the thing to bring this niche to the next level. I don't know how far Dutch is looking at branching out, but I could see him becoming a larger supplier and resource for ultralight hiker supplies and materials. Kind of a more technical REI. Of course he is now on the precipice between great success in the cottage industry and the risk of stepping up into the bigger volume merchandising regime.

Personally, I like having him so involved and available and approachable, however as he seems to be building a legacy I see he has a few options;

1. Status quo. Hold onto his loyal customer base and continue to dedicate his life to hammock camping.
    2. Step things up, diversify even more, incorporate and contract out much of the work and bring the gear to a larger, yet more fickle customer base.
    3. Find some international buyers to take over the business, take the profit and retire early to hike and spend time with family.
    4. Go to Vegas and bet it all on red.
    5. Pork bellies. Take the profits from the Chameleon campaign, invest them in pork bellies, make billions, then subsidize the cost of Dutch products so that every man woman and child on earth can have their own awesome Dutch gear, thereby eradicating malaria, depression, vitamin N (nature) deficiency, and pattern male balding.

Either way, Dutch has done some incredible to date and it only remains to be seen where he goes from here.
    Sounds like some interesting options I wonder if some of us younger guys will be telling our grand kids "I bought Dutch gear when it was still made from his 2100 sqft facility and even from his 11,000 sqft facility" or something like that. Not one serious hammock camper that I know has not heard of Dutch. His hardware and now his hammocks are making that name even bigger. Congrats Dutch hope you never lose the cottage industry roots. Not saying don't get big but keep the customer service and accessibility. Who knows maybe just clone yourself to keep up with the growth.

Hammock
    Burlap sack in a soft taupe
    Tarp
    Handstiched leaves
    Insulation
    Newspaper
    Suspension
    Barbed wire
    I know I'm relatively new here but after "catching up" on old threads educating myself on various things, one thing stood out. The members of this community are always trying to help one another with almost ANY problem. I feel that people that tirelessly try to help others should be rewarded. I like that some members, such as Dutch are able to use their knowledge to start and maintain a thriving business.

I recently ordered some gear from Dutch after reading up on the now fabled whoopie slings. I messed up my order by accidentally selecting the wrong item. It was completely my fault and I would have been fine to have gotten what I chose. I replied to the auto-email containing my order information and asked if it would be possible to change the mistake. Fully expecting an auto email with a return error indicating a computer generated automaton kind of thing I was surprised when Dutch himself responded to the email. It was also over the weekend to boot! He essentially made a customer for life with such a simple response.

I just read about his new product yesterday and am now truly excited for his new found success in the Chameleon hammock system! I will be recommending them to all of my friends that haven't heard or caught the hammock bug yet. I'm also excited to support his business by ordering some of these hammocks for family members when they become available.

Hammock
    dutchware hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Etowah, HG,Bearpaw
    Insulation
    EE top, HG Bottom
    Suspension
    hugger + Whoopie
    Not a fan of kick starter...but I do like a discount so I am willing to put up with it knowing Dutch is a already a proven reliable business man. I can see a scenario where it would be easy to lose QA with a sudden ramp up of demand. I have faith in Dutch that all will be well looked over and in the unlikely event there is an issue, he would stand behind it. I can't say the same about other products launched on KS. Many are a gamble imo.

Best

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast