Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    Arrowhead Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies

Twisted Root Flare $37 Underquilt Review

I have the twisted Root Big Mozzie hammock and was fairly impressed with the quality for a $30 woot.com hammock (I wrote up a review of it a bit ago) so when I saw the Twistd Root Flare underquilt on woot.com for around $37 and thought I would give it a try. I won’t keep you in too much suspense, I don’t really like it.

I tried it out on a recent trip to Torreya State Park here in Florida where it got down to about 40 degrees and my backside was a bit chilly. I was able to sleep but it wasn’t very comfortable and I woke up a few times because of CBS. They claim that the temp rating is 35-45 degrees and I’m guessing that isn’t a comfort rating. So this may serve better in a bit warmer weather but that brings me to my next point; the shape.

The underquilt is shaped like like a big blue pita pocket and I found that the shape didn’t work very well when lying on a diagonal (It kept slipping off my feet). This shape makes it easy to attach to the ends of the hammock but doesn't allow for a lot of adjustment. The other issue with this shape is that you end up insulating the entire hammock which to me adds weight for no real benefit.

I will probably go back to using a pad for now and I wish I had saved the money to put towards a “real” underquilt. I have included the only photo I have, the big blue pita pocket is visible and engulfs my entire hammock (which is actually gray).

underquilt1.jpg

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Thanks for sharing.

Is that Rock Bluff?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    Arrowhead Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter1 View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

Is that Rock Bluff?
    It is Rock Bluff. I wish Torreya was a bit closer to where I live. I think it is probably one of the best state parks in Florida.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Town's End bridge
    Tarp
    MWG Membrane Sil
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ/Thermarest
    Suspension
    straps/buckles
    Images
    I was there with my 7 year old last week at the Creek and Challenge sites. Great weather and my favorite FL park. He was rocking the Jarbidge, which is probably the best bang for buck legit UQ. On sale now for $90 or get a used one for $75-80. I was curious about the Flare for my kids but I think I'll pass after your review. Thanks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    Arrowhead Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by happydensity View Post
    I was there with my 7 year old last week at the Creek and Challenge sites. Great weather and my favorite FL park. He was rocking the Jarbidge, which is probably the best bang for buck legit UQ. On sale now for $90 or get a used one for $75-80. I was curious about the Flare for my kids but I think I'll pass after your review. Thanks!
    I hiked from the picnic area past the creek site around to bluff, about 5 miles or so. I called last minute to get a reservation at the challenge site and everything in the whole park was full. The wonderful woman at the park called me back about 30 minutes later when someone canceled at rock bluff. Can't wait to go back and to the challenge.

Hammock
    dutch wide
    Tarp
    hennessy
    Suspension
    dutch straps
    thanks for the review and share- looked like a nice hang. I've been on the hunt for a reasonable UQ for some time now. really close to purchasing a Jarbidge after constantly hearing/reading positive things about them.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    Arrowhead Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by slimchimp View Post
    thanks for the review and share- looked like a nice hang. I've been on the hunt for a reasonable UQ for some time now. really close to purchasing a Jarbidge after constantly hearing/reading positive things about them.
    That's funny, I was just looking at one hovering over the Add to Cart button myself. I can't decide if I want to buy that now or get a new hammock first.

Hammock
    Dutchware Hexon 1.6 11ft
    Tarp
    Yukon Rainfly
    Insulation
    JRB, AHE, DIY, SP
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Jarbidge is a great choice.

If you really have a tight budget though, the snugpak underblanket is less than $50, and works pretty well. It's not light, but it works pretty well down to about freezing.

Every day is a good day.

Hammock
    dutch wide
    Tarp
    hennessy
    Suspension
    dutch straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedogomer View Post
    Jarbidge is a great choice.

If you really have a tight budget though, the snugpak underblanket is less than $50, and works pretty well. It's not light, but it works pretty well down to about freezing.
    In your opinion, do you think it could be paired with a chunk of foam to push it below freezing? I'm trying to get out for a weekend soon and want to be able to handle the night temps.

Hammock
    dutch wide
    Tarp
    hennessy
    Suspension
    dutch straps
    Quote Originally Posted by xsforis View Post
    That's funny, I was just looking at one hovering over the Add to Cart button myself. I can't decide if I want to buy that now or get a new hammock first.
    Hope I can make it happen soon. What hammock are you looking at?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast