Top Quilt Footbox Method

Last night I finished up a 3.6 CS TQ for 2-season use (mid-spring to mid-fall) and I thought I would share my methodology for making a footbox. It doesn't require fabricating any separate pieces and sewing them on, it's just something that I stumbled across while trying to fix my first TQ. It works on synthetic or down, and may or may not be more work than just sewing in a separate piece. You judge.

The first step is just sewing a "T" by sewing the sides together, then sewing the bottom together. This is done inside-out. The quilt is 48" wide, no taper, so it is 24" wide at the bottom after stitching. I also stitched 24" up the sides, which will ultimately be 18" (more to come on that).

You could stop with this, but the really, really annoying thing about this method is that the corners make "ears" when your feet are in, and the end of the quilt is not compact meaning it has a tendency to leave the hammock in the night. My solution comes from nacra's tutorial on a square bottom stuffsack (which by now you know I like). Ignore the dimensions on the left of this photo, but it will give you the general idea:

Looking at the right sketch, the quilt is now 24" wide when folded. Using nacra's template, I can sketch the triangles on the corners (front and back of the quilt). If I use 6" sides on the triangles, I will take 6" + 6" off the width, and 6" off the height. I will wind up with a 12" x 12" footbox. I need to plan on losing the 6" when designing the desired final length of the quilt, which is similar to how length is lost when a shock-cord footbox is cinched up. This is why I sewed the sides up 24", because I'll lose 6" to the footbox.

The side triangles are all you need to transfer from the sketch, not the horizontal 12" line. This needs to be on both sides.

Flatten/fold those triangles on the diagonals, and the vertical lines will show you where to stitch. Pins help a lot.

After you stitch across, you can trim the triangles off, they're not needed. For CS, you can make a seam and cut. For down, you should make two seams and trim in the middle, that way you can recover the down in the triangles later.

Those seams are a little ugly with CS or down poking out, so bind those with grosgrain. It will give some structure to the box and they are on the sides so you probably won't notice them. I don't bind the other seams, they seem to hold fine and I don't like the texture of the grosgrain all over my footbox.

Turn things inside out, and...footbox.

This is an OutdoorInk shell, from when Kyle did the custom camo runs. Mine is based on the official RGB's for NC State. Think I'll call it the Taun Taun. Has KAM snap closure at the top with a 1/16" shock cord drawstring, and weighs in at 1 lb 0 oz.

Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Nice idea! Certainly easier than making a round-bottom footbox. I've made a couple of those, zero insulation compression, and they're a serious pain.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    That is fantastic -- concept, execution, and color scheme. So cleverly done. WTG, C.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    This is just how I put the corners in a tote bag. Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Nice idea! Certainly easier than making a round-bottom footbox. I've made a couple of those, zero insulation compression, and they're a serious pain.
    Ease of execution often weighs heavily into my plans. I often offset it with half-cocked ideas, so I try to strike a balance.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    That is fantastic -- concept, execution, and color scheme. So cleverly done. WTG, C.
    Thank you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    This is just how I put the corners in a tote bag. Awesome!
    Exactly the same, and the same as making zipper pouches. It's truly an elemental technique that you can apply in so many useful ways.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 2.0,WBRR,ElDorado
    Tarp
    12' Silpoly DIY
    Insulation
    HG TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor Ink Straps
    Images
    Well engineered footbox with beautiful fabric. Nice job.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Oh yeah!

I too use this technique for stuff sacks and such...this is so simple and easier than other methods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Quote Originally Posted by carmen2kayak View Post
    Well engineered footbox with beautiful fabric. Nice job.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
    Oh yeah!

I too use this technique for stuff sacks and such...this is so simple and easier than other methods!
    Ease of execution is hard to beat.

• + New Posts