Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images

Synthetic Insulation

I'm looking to make a few quilts soon and I'm wondering what insulation brands/weights people recommend. I don't even remember the brand I used to use, and I'm sure the new stuff is better anyway.

I'm specifically curious about Climashield APEX. I see temp ratings for 5 oz/yd at around 30F for a single layer?? Can anybody verify this? Sounds too good to be true, considering I used to use two layers at the same loft to achieve that temp.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Thanks for the refresher. I knew there was a CLO formula, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was.

Based on numbers then, it looks like the old standby Primaloft might actually offer more bang for the buck/ounce.

Aside: I try not to use down if I can help it, for various reasons. I do have a down UQ, but it only goes in the kit when absolutely necessary. Hoping to alleviate that necessity with synthetic soon.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Thanks for the refresher. I knew there was a CLO formula, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was.

Based on numbers then, it looks like the old standby Primaloft might actually offer more bang for the buck/ounce.

Aside: I try not to use down if I can help it, for various reasons. I do have a down UQ, but it only goes in the kit when absolutely necessary. Hoping to alleviate that necessity with synthetic soon.
    Me too!

I made 2UQ with Climashield 6 and 1 with 2.5 and I love the stuff, though not the bulk. I am looking at my 60 L pack, and my big bag of quilts...oy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I'm looking to make a few quilts soon and I'm wondering what insulation brands/weights people recommend. I don't even remember the brand I used to use, and I'm sure the new stuff is better anyway.

I'm specifically curious about Climashield APEX. I see temp ratings for 5 oz/yd at around 30F for a single layer?? Can anybody verify this? Sounds too good to be true, considering I used to use two layers at the same loft to achieve that temp.
    I had a 5.0 oz climashield Apex UQ and would personally rate it at 40°..... Meaning at 40° I was feeling a little chill. My$. 02

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

The two main games in town that I know of are Climashield and Primaloft. CS seems to have the vast majority of the market because Primaloft calls for quilting at 6" to prevent migration. CS doesn't require any quilting, but is heavier for a given temperature rating and less compressible.

For a 20F set, my personal preference is for down due to weight and pack size. At 30F and up, I'm finding I like CS a lot. I made a 5.0 CS underquilt for my daughter which she has used comfortably in the low 50's/upper 40's and I've used comfortably in the low 40's. I just recently finished a 3.6 CS top quilt which I will test tonight to see if it handle the 40's as advertised. The stuff is just so easy to work with and seems to perform well.

I suspect the next quilt that I make will be with Primaloft just to try it out, I really love my Primaloft jacket. My thought is to quilt it to the liner only, then sew like a typical synthetic quilt. That way, I won't have to mess with quilting loops, nor will I sew through the entire quilt with the quilting.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    ...I suspect the next quilt that I make will be with Primaloft just to try it out, I really love my Primaloft jacket. My thought is to quilt it to the liner only, then sew like a typical synthetic quilt...
    Smart, C. Eagerly anticipating your report on this build after it happens.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    My thought is to quilt it to the liner only, then sew like a typical synthetic quilt. That way, I won't have to mess with quilting loops, nor will I sew through the entire quilt with the quilting.
    Unfortunately I think you'll still kill the insulation's loft that way, cutting way down on its R-value.

Quilting loops really aren't that bad. I've done hundreds of them. : )

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    Smart, C. Eagerly anticipating your report on this build after it happens.
    Might not be till fall, but I have a TQ footbox method I'm going to put up today, then a 1.0 ROBIC hammock that probably won't merit much reporting, and I am now in receipt of materials for a 50L backpack. Trying to get better about sharing tutorials as you and jelly manage.

Unfortunately I think you'll still kill the insulation's loft that way, cutting way down on its R-value.

Quilting loops really aren't that bad. I've done hundreds of them. : )
    You may be right, I'll have to look at it when I get it. When you sew CS, it does create a "valley" where the stitch is, but the CS does "self-heal" to some extent. PL has a scrim, so I'm thinking if that's back-to-back with the liner, the stitching might self-heal enough to not impact the overall rating too much. If that doesn't give me confidence, I'll probably come around to doing the loops.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Ohhhhh. I want to see this footbox!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    DWG Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    AHE/EE/LLG/Wiggy's
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Spiders

I recommend Climashield APEX and find it to work as advertised. I have not used any 5 oz/yd, but have used 6 oz/yd. I have been able to push a TQ down to 16* and a UQ down to 23*. This winter I just got a 9.6 oz/yd UQ and haven't had a chance to push it's limits yet as I have only had it down to 22*. That was in conjunction with the 6 oz/yd TQ.

The two main games in town that I know of are Climashield and Primaloft. CS seems to have the vast majority of the market because Primaloft calls for quilting at 6" to prevent migration. CS doesn't require any quilting, but is heavier for a given temperature rating and less compressible.
    In my opinion there is one other big advantage to Climashield over Primaloft, and that is durability. Climashield is more on the lines of down where it can be compressed and washed multiple times without losing its loft or thermal efficiency. This is due to it being a continuous filament. Whereas Primaloft is a chopped staple fiber that can be significantly impacted by being compressed and washed. I have a lightweight Primaloft pullover that I have used for the last 3 years that when new would take me down to 40*. After multiple trips being compressed in my pack and being washed multiple times I am lucky if it will take me down below 50*. On the other hand I have had a Climashield TQ and UQ for the same time frame that has held up with no issues.

Oh, another advantage for a lot of people is that Climashield is made in the USA. Primaloft is made in China.

There were some comparisons done on HF here in the past that went into a lot more technical/scientific detail between the two. If you are interested I am sure you can find it in a search.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast