Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Tyler883

I've seen this on a few setups now and I'm curious. Why not bolt/lash the ridge pole to the tripods instead of running a suspension line through it? Doesn't this setup make using a ridgline on the hammock a bit pointless?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Tyler883

I've seen this on a few setups now and I'm curious. Why not bolt/lash the ridge pole to the tripods instead of running a suspension line through it? Doesn't this setup make using a ridgline on the hammock a bit pointless?
    The Ridge pole prevents horizontal forces on the tripods. The only force on the tripods are vertical.

Also, vertical forces on the Ridge pole would likely snap it like a twig, so I use the same point on the Ridge pole to attach the hammock and tripod lines. This is obvious in my second pic where I eventually found an optimum Ridge pole length but I still have not cut the excess pole length,yet.

The Ridge pole length determines how much sag I have in my hammock. I found 8 feet was too short. About 10 feet works well. The second pic shows that I was prepared to go with a 12 foot pole if I found that was the best hang. Your hammock will probably need it's own custom pole length,too.

To answer your question...As far as hanging the Ridge pole instead of other methods I didn't know how tall my tripods needed to be, so i chose to go with a full height tripod which meant I had no choice but to hang it so I can set my hammock about 12 inches from the ground.

Now that I have a Ridge pole length and height that I'm happy with, i was going to shorten my tripod legs to match my set up but I've decided to leave them full height. I think the full height might come in handy while on uneven ground, it gives me a wider base as well.

Definitely not the way I planned it, but that is how I got to where it is now. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tyler883; 02-11-2017 at 12:08.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Have you considered going the permanent stand route? Ie Use 2 6x6 posts and sink them in the ground with some concrete? Or if you have to please a significant other, you could build a freestanding pergola and just happen to space the posts the perfect distance for hanging your hammock and tarp?

Cheers

Brian
    Thumbs up to the pergola idea. That would be an awesome way to use my patio.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I would, and did times two, make the one in this thread https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...t=Super+simple with the fittings from this thread https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...=1#post1505925

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC, Ridgerunner, Raven
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Lynx/Costco
    Suspension
    Cinch/Whoopie/Mule

Good hammock stand that won't break the bank?

I have and use a 15' stand from Amazon called Best Choice Products Hammock Stand 15' Solid Steel https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JP...Q7L&ref=plSrch Paid like $75 for it. It works pretty good. When you setup you have to pull the suspension as tight as you can on both sides so the arms can raise up slightly when weight is applied to the hammock.

So, these days I find myself in a yard with no trees. I never wanted to go to a stand, but if I'm to do any testing, looks like that's where I'm stuck.

Any recommendations for something workable and not too expensive? I don't need to travel with it, I just need 14' + from eye to eye.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by shogun82; 02-12-2017 at 10:35.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I have a Turtle Dog stand using this procedure:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...234#post809234
    and the Super simple/strong stand:
    https://hammockforums.net/forum/show...t=Super+simple

The 'Turtle Dog' is great indoors, but outside the 'Super simple/strong stand' is much better at handling the wind.

If you decide on the Super simple/strong stand, read the posts to ensure you order "1 3/8 Open L" that makes it a much easier build (starting at post 11).
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    I have made some Turtle Dog stands from 2 x 2s, door hinges, and a fence top rail. About $30 for the stuff and 30 minues of work.

I have considered getting one of the original backpacking stands for the occasion when there may not be as many trees on a trip. DD Hammocks is now distributing the Handy Hammock.
    http://www.ddhammocks.com/product/ul..._hammock_stand
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun82 View Post
    I have and use a 15' stand from Amazon called Best Choice Products Hammock Stand 15' Solid Steel https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JP...Q7L&ref=plSrch Paid like $75 for it. It works pretty good. When you setup you have to pull the suspension as tight as you can on both sides so the arms can raise up slightly when weight is applied to the hammock.
    Looks like we might have a winner, as long as it works. And if not, it's Amazon. Gotta love that Prime return policy.

It'll even look presentable, so my landlord isn't likely to complain when I leave it out in the yard 24/7.

Thanks!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC, Ridgerunner, Raven
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Lynx/Costco
    Suspension
    Cinch/Whoopie/Mule
    No problem, It holds my hammocks up with my 250lbs. I put short amsteel loop on upright ends and clip straight to them. Just make sure and pull the suspension tight so the upright arms can raise up slightly without your backside hitting the bottom support bar.

Looks like we might have a winner, as long as it works. And if not, it's Amazon. Gotta love that Prime return policy.

It'll even look presentable, so my landlord isn't likely to complain when I leave it out in the yard 24/7.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun82 View Post
    No problem, It holds my hammocks up with my 250lbs. I put short amsteel loop on upright ends and clip straight to them. Just make sure and pull the suspension tight so the upright arms can raise up slightly without your backside hitting the bottom support bar.
    Oh, so it's not quite tall enough?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast