Hammock
    HH Jungle Safari (zip)

HH Radiant double bubble XL feedback

Just some quick feedback following my night with the Hennessy Hammock Radiant double bubble XL pad. The pad is advertised as comfortable down to 5 oC / 40 oF.

Pitched my HH hammock in the back yard and used my Fairydown Gore Dryloft 4 season sleeping bag. Last night had a low of -1 oC / 30 oF (drizzly light rain, light breeze - typical for this time of year) and I definitely had cool buttocks and lower back throughout the night. Feet, legs and upper torso absolutely fine.

Woke this morning to find a small patch of condensation on the inside of the bottom of the hammock. I guess pads really are vapour barriers.
    The radiant pad shifted a bit during the night, but the integral glove hooks helped inhibit more movement.

Overall a pretty good nights sleep. Be mindful of the radiant's temperature lower limits and you'll be fine.

--Hopetimist

Hammock
    Hennessey Jungle Explorer
    Tarp
    Hex Assmembly
    Insulation
    Radiant Double Bub
    Suspension
    Straps
    Mine work's well for me.Never too it to the limits so I can't say how the butt felt.45* here in Fl.is as low as I've gone with it.

Robin
    Hennessey Jungle Explorer Zip Double Bottom
    Hex Symetrical 70D Rainfly
    Radiant Double Pad,Potomac UQ
    Snake Skinz

Hammock
    HH Jungle Safari (zip)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin A View Post
    Mine work's well for me.Never too it to the limits so I can't say how the butt felt.45* here in Fl.is as low as I've gone with it.

Robin
    Do you find condensation a problem too?

--Hopetimist

Necro

Necro-ing this thread, but... hey... it's only a 10-month-old necro...

tl;dr - Yes, I find condensation to be an issue.

This year my camping group took REI's #OptOutside to the next level. We set up camp on Wednesday and had Thanksgiving in camp. In N. Georgia that week, our lows were in the mid to high 20's (F).

Disclaimer: I sleep hot as it is and I am prone to night sweats.

My sleep solution started out as:
    • HH Deep Jungle XL
    • HH Typhoon Rainfly
    • HH Radiant Double Bubble Pad XL
    • REI Siesta 30* sleeping bag
    • Clothing: Under Armor Cold-Gear base layers + Injini sock liners + beanie for my bald dome

The first night it got down to 27* and I developed chilly enough CBS that I was uncomfortable. I had an ALPS Mountaineering Fleece Bag on standby that I pulled out and maneuvered into my bag as a liner. The rest of the night I was plenty comfortable.

The next morning as I was rearranging my bags, I noticed a veritable puddle on the hammock surface around the butt area. Suspecting that was the cause of my CBS, I layered a Wal*Mart picnic blanket and folded in half lengthwise under my sleeping bag. The following nights, I tended to get overly warm and could probably have removed the fleece liner. The coldest night was 25*.

And every morning there was that "puddle".

So, it seems the solution to the condensation-caused CBS is a barrier between my bag and the hammock material where the condensation builds up. On my next cold hang, probably next month, I will experiment with a layer of fleece or maybe a pack towel under my bag and see if that works as well. I'd like to cut the weight and bulk and not have to rely on the picnic blanket.

Aside: I don't get the hate for sleeping bags in a hammock. I have no problems with laying 'em out in the hammock and getting situated (except when maneuvering a bag liner into place from inside the bag... that was acrobatic).
    Last edited by ChadwickAMoore; 12-28-2017 at 23:21.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Hex Sym
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    Trying all of them
    Images
    I have a HH Deep Jungle Zip that I got on eBay recently. I have been trying to test it out as much as possible in the back yard. I also had some condensation issues when I used the DB by itself. Also tried a Klymit Luxe insulated pad in the hammock. No condensation but neither was good much below 40* because of the CBS. Finally got down to freezing so I tried another hang with th DB pad in between the bottom layers AND the Klymit pad in the hammock with me. I was wearing fleece pants and a fleece pullover over a light shirt and some wool socks. Used a 20* bag as a top quilt. No condensation even in rainy damp conditions but I did have to tuck the bag under my butt to combat the CBS. Not “snug as a bug” but doable for sure.

• + New Posts