Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images

Amsteel Deal: Projects

So what are you making out of the Amsteel Deal you bought?

My first project was UCR's for my daughter and myself. I have whoopee slings but I never use them anywhere near there max length and there is so much extra dangling rope it is a pain. Thus I wanted to shorten up the max length. My UCR now provides between 27" to 55" of adjustment (each). These worked extremely well last weekend (hiking in Wayne NF here in Ohio).

A couple of modification I came up with (I am sure I am not the first, but I have not seen them else where). I put a one end, finger sized, locked Brummel on the tag end of the bury line. This allows a nice grab/hang point and will not allow the tag end to pull back through the constrictor. Also, I tied a Prusik knot with the tag end of the constrictor rope and then buried the free end back into the constrictor line for a clean no tag hanging finished look to the constrictor line. I like the look.

So a couple of questions:
    To make a UCR, what length line do you cut for the constrictor line, what size Brummel do you use, and what length bury? Also, what length do you cut the bury line for a UCR?

And generally what are you making whit the Amsteel you got? - Cheers.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    It would be great to see some photos of your UCR details and modifications.

I just made a pair of long-reach (25" to 145") UCRs to complement some Dutch Spider Web 2.0 tree huggers I got recently.

I cur the constrictor piece 36" to 48" depending upon whether I want to create a fixed eye (of up to 3") splice in a Whoopie Hook, as well as upon how many turns I want in the Prusik knot that retains the tension on the constrictor section. I generally use an 8" bury where the main line passes through the constrictor section.

HYOH....

Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

I also made my first "ucr." I wanted an adjustable ridgeline to try out. I had planned on making a bunch as follow up gifts to hammocks I've made friends and loved ones but not too sure it's simple enough to give without a little hands on demonstration. Can't really mess up a fixed ridgeline .

I'll be making a long UCR setup inspired by Kitsap this weekend I hope.

Hopefully after seeing other plans I can put together a few more projects.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    How are you using/what do you plan to do with the loopalien on the tail end of the main line?

I bought a 20pk for a couple bucks a while ago, so instead of making a loop on the end I threw it on. It hangs in a spot that I think I could put a stuff sack for a coat or something just in case I need it in the night, however I haven't tested it and I'm not sure if it'd work out or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    How are you using/what do you plan to do with the loopalien on the tail end of the main line?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    DIY UCR-LoopDLoop
    Quote Originally Posted by buds007 View Post
    I bought a 20pk for a couple bucks a while ago, so instead of making a loop on the end I threw it on.
    Nothing wrong with that idea. Lots of uses, and I'm sure many more yet to be discovered, for those little guys.

Quote Originally Posted by buds007 View Post
    It hangs in a spot that I think I could put a stuff sack for a coat or something just in case I need it in the night, however I haven't tested it and I'm not sure if it'd work out or not.
    I think it should work well, depending on the length of your RL, and the resulting length of the tail. Nothing saying you couldn't tie the tail up to the RL to get the height that works, either. Good luck!

For myself, I'm a relatively new inductee into the Amsteel Academy, so I've got plenty of continuous loops, soft shackles, and UCRs/whoopies to make. Very appreciative of all the great ideas and latest/greatest design and construction techniques here on HF!
    Last edited by Othello; 03-23-2018 at 13:27.

Hammock
    Dutch netless
    Tarp
    Winter Dream
    Insulation
    REI Flash pad
    Suspension
    homemade woopies
    First time made anything with it - couple of endless loops.

Nest will be some whoopie slings and an adjustable ridgeline.

Last time I spliced rope it was the 3 strand twisted natural fiber kind - this is a lot easier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soft shackles will be next to play with. Never used one so we'll see how it goes.

Here's the length mine hangs right now. I also want to try it out at my head end and see if it'd work hanging my drink on it. Not sure how that much weight will work or whether it will touch me but it's nowhere near my feet as is. I'll find some use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Othello View Post
    Nothing wrong with that idea. Lots of uses, and I'm sure many more yet to be discovered, for those little guys.

I think it should work well, depending on the length of your RL, and the resulting length of the tail. Nothing saying you couldn't tie the tail up to the RL to get the height that works, either. Good luck!

For myself, I'm a relatively new inductee into the Amsteel Academy, so I've got plenty of continuous loops, soft shackles, and UCRs/whoopies to make. Very appreciative of all the great ideas and latest/greatest design and construction techniques here on HF!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Here are some pictures of ends of the UCR I made. The first shows the tag end of the constrictor. After the bury I had 6" of line and tied the Prusik knot. To finish off the end nicely I buried the line back into the other line and stitched it. This basically made a loop splice tied into a Prusik.
    IMG_1897.jpg

The second image is a small 1" Locked Brummel splice made with only one end free. This was amazingly easy thanks to some YouTube videos.
    IMG_1898.jpg

The project lengths I used are:
    Constrictor line: 36" long. 4" locked Brummel marked at 5" and 13" and a 5" bury of the tail. I have a 10" bury. This left 6" to tie and make the Prusik.
    The Bury Line: 60" same Brummel. Little loop is marked at 2" and 5" with a 2" bury of the tail.

Over all adjustment is 27" to 54"

Now what else should I make....

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Here are some pictures of ends of the UCR I made. The first shows the tag end of the constrictor. After the bury I had 6" of line and tied the Prusik knot. To finish off the end nicely I buried the line back into the other line and stitched it. This basically made a loop splice tied into a Prusik.

Very clean
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast