Hammock
    DIY Poly D or Robic XL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter w/doors
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Beetle or DIY Hook
    I asked about the bubble in this thread...
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ng-Tarp-Bubble
    I ended up figuring out how to roll the tarp and slide the skin over it to avoid the bubble and still use the double skins. I think the longer single skin would be more of a pain for me. I like that I can have smaller tapered skins that fit nicely in the outside pocket on my pack without a compression sack. A single would need to be more straight than tapered to get over the thicker center of the tarp. I also like only dealing with half of the tarp at a time. More so when putting it away than deploying.
    Personal preference.
    Outdoors > Indoors
    I love me some XeroShoes
    “An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock.” ― Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    UCR+Treestraps
    Quote Originally Posted by rais'n hammock View Post
    I ended up figuring out how to roll the tarp and slide the skin over it to avoid the bubble and still use the double skins.
    That is why I like the single skin. I unhook the tarp from the stakes and slide the skin over. No rolling or organizing. I copied a design for adding guyline pockets to the end of snakeskins that is on this forum. I simply tuck in what cords are hanging out. I'd say start to finish less than 30 seconds. I like easy

Quote Originally Posted by shogun82 View Post
    I like using a single. It's really just a preference. It is just faster for me.
    Agreed, HYOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    For y'all who use a single skin, is it tapered or straight? I've heard of folks doing it both ways and am about to make one myself. Thanks.
    Mine is tapered. I looked at some available single skins to get an idea of roughly how large either end should be.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I use double skins, always have. The bubble is very easily avoided, no extra hassle. I've tried single skins and found them unwieldy; I'd rather have a short piece of material work with than a long one, even if I have to use the short one twice. Plus, a single skin is inescapably heavier, especially if you don't taper it.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I found the 0.6oz HG cuben sleeve to be extremely easy to use. Unfortunately I didn't like the cuben tarp enough to keep it. But it sure was fast, easy and crazy light weight. Having the sleeve only bunched up on one end also made things feel cleaner. Just some OCD there.

Now the only one I have is the two piece mesh sleeves on my superfly and I'm OK with those too. I'm not sure what this bubble thing is about; no problems here.

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Ran across this oldish thread but it is still relevant information so I'll go ahead and bump it with another humble opinion.

My experience with double skins ended the first time I used a decent mesh tapered single skin (HG). It just works better in all of the PNW conditions I've encountered so far. Full stop. Dry or wet, windy or calm I can see no real advantage to a split set of skins other than the smallest of weight penalties if even that is real. Maybe if you were using some 13+ foot expedition double-wide, two story with a garage behemoth tarp it might be beneficial but if a new user is contemplating skins for the real world, go with a single tapered sleeve.

I normally use either an 11' winter with doors or 12' hex tarp with a continuous ridgeline usually deployed above the tarp with only a small loop (<3") for the sleeve to squish down to when deployed with no problems.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Showing folks new to hammock camping how my HG sleeve works always impresses. It still impresses me even after having done it so many times. Combined with linelocs for the tie outs and a knotless setup for the ridgeline, the tarp is up likely split.

I like the single skin because you don’t need to roll / just pull it off and drag it on and everything except the ridgeline lines are neatly captured.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    EE/HG/UGQ quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Images
    I personally prefer mesh double snake skins. I hang with the Dutchware spider/poly straps with Beetle buckles, and any extra loose strap at the hammock continuous loop gets cinched into that snakeskin. Keeps things nice and neat.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I'm late to the party but I'll throw my two cents in: mesh single tapered has worked the best for me.

Someone gifted me with double cuben snake skins and trying to get a Superfly in it without a bubble drove me crazy, especially since there was no way to join the two parts in the middle and cuben is so slippery my tarp would be half out of the skins when I pulled it out of the mesh pocket outside my pack. And after getting rained on the tarp just stays wet inside the waterproof snakeskins.

I switched to a mesh single from MountainGoat, who unfortunately is out of business, and never looked back. I can just pull it across and everything gets sucked into it. Mesh skins give the tarp a chance to drip-dry a little. I have HG's mesh single as well for my summer tarp.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Mesh works best for me !
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Another vote for mesh after discovering how long it took the nylon sleeve to dry after holding a wet tarp. But I’m not 100 percent sold on single vs double. With a double, I have to watch out for the “bubble” - but with attention to rolling while sliding on the skin, that can be avoided. The single sounds simpler and sort of is because it’s one item. But - there’s a lot more drag/friction as I pull the skin across 11 to 13 ft of tarp. Even though there isn’t a bubble potential, I have to pay more attention to rolling/squeezing the tarp so I can drag it from the end taper all the way down the full length of the tarp. As the tarp sort of lives by itself - wet or potential wet things stored separately from dry things - that potential bubble with two skins isn’t much of a problem and it is easier to pull a 6 ft skin on/off than the longer single version.

Note that I am NOT using the skin to keep a wet tarp from moisturizing a dry hammock. The tarp is kept separate whether wet or dry. I use the skin because it makes it possible to deploy the tarp in a bit if wind. Before I embraced the skin, I had two failures when trying to up up a full sized tarp in non-trivial gusting wind - wind strong enough to deform one of my split ring “fuses” on the D-Rings.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast