Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Images
    @xrayextra: i'm still waiting for pix of it hung up!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Wide Winter
    Insulation
    Gemini / Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Leiavoia - Please verify that I have this correct. You recommend the smaller diameter cord 1/32 rather than the larger 1/16. Want to make sure we are not talking about 3/32 as 1/32 is so thin. With all those strands in the clew it is probably rather strong though. Thanks for humoring me.

Images
    @CowPatty: Yes, 1/32". However, if you're on the fence, 1/16" is okay, if a little tight. 1/16" works fine but you have to keep tension on the quilt very light. Otherwise it will just crush the down flat. Worst case, get both and then you can play with it for other projects.

Images
    So i went and got 4 more of these BBB quilts. I should probably see a psychologist.

Before i make more Gemini sets, i want to ask if anyone has any suggestions to improve the design (without sewing!).

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Dream Freebird & Sparrow
    Tarp
    Cave Creek 12' XL
    Insulation
    Puffles & DIY
    Suspension
    Straps & rings
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    So i went and got 4 more of these BBB quilts. I should probably see a psychologist.
    As sargevining said in one of his costco underquilt videos, "plastic snaps are the gateway drug into the DIY world"

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Numbers 35:34
    You shall not defile the land in which you live, in the midst of which I dwell...

"You can lead a man to Congress, but you can't make him think." - Milton Berle

"I think the surest sign that there is intelligent life out there in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." (Calvin and Hobbes/Bill Waterson)

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    You got me hooked too. Went into bbb and bought two more sixteen dollar down throws. Gonna use the rest of my other materials and the fabulous Leiavoia Gemini design to create a second rig.

Fully agree that the clew cord being 1/32 provides a soft hang. I prefer to double up the number of loops on the outside strands of the clew to tighten up the sides just a little.

Otherwise not sure how such a well thought out and executed design can be improved upon.

All without sewing, no doubt.

I reaffirm. Leiavoia is a genius.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    3F UL Gear
    Insulation
    Gemini System
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    This is a brilliant design! I am very excited to build a couple sets of these-I have 4 throws on the way (local stores were out of stock). Leiavoia-is the inner blanked design ambidextrous? Can the inner blanket be oriented in a head to the right, feet to the left lay (I always forget which is considered a left lay and which is considered a right lay) in "Winter Mode"?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpatater View Post
    This is a brilliant design! I am very excited to build a couple sets of these-I have 4 throws on the way (local stores were out of stock). Leiavoia-is the inner blanked design ambidextrous? Can the inner blanket be oriented in a head to the right, feet to the left lay (I always forget which is considered a left lay and which is considered a right lay) in "Winter Mode"?
    Good question. As is, no. With a few more easy snaps, yes.

The way i designed it is meant for head-left orientation. If you lay it out it as-is and try to reverse fold it, you will see that the snaps don't line up any more.

If you want an ambidextrous version, it only takes the addition of a few snaps along the edge. You can easily eyeball these.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    3F UL Gear
    Insulation
    Gemini System
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Ok. Thanks for the response! I'm sure it will become apparent as I use the thing. I suppose I could swap snaps left to right for a dedicated head-right orientation.

Another question: these throws are significantly wider than a purpose made underquilt. 60" vs ~44". Is the extra width annoying? Does the extra width ride up the sides of the hammock when you crawl in, or do you scrunch it together underneath to help with lofting?

Images
    The clew suspension makes the extra width a benefit instead of a detriment. With a traditional side-channel suspension, 60" width would be nuts. On a clew suspension, it just skwooshes together and makes more fluff.

It will take the same shape as your hammock. Your hammock is likely also 60" wide.

IMG_3902s.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast