a few DIY builds
    Tarp
    minifly (untested)
    Insulation
    CDT and EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Trekking View Post
    According to the website an 11 foot hammock should have 21” clews.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did 27" (24" for the first and last). It looks like 21" is for a 10 ft hammock?

It sounds like 21" is working for you though...that's what matters! I already have more cord in the way, so I'll finish mine off and see what happens. Worst case I have a lot left for stuff sacks

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    C.G. Fortress
    Insulation
    HG BurrowIncubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckle
    Lol ... the WBBB is a 10 foot hammock, not 11. My bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    clews for 10ft hammocks will still work on 11ft+ hammocks, it just isn't totally ideal. (ideally, the clews terminate at the hammock suspension line, not before. That gives you the best spread.)

I don't know if this is the same for all the throws, but while seam ripping my first throw, I found that the straight thread that doesn't go through is on the duller side. The Shiny side has the thread going through the throw. Hopefully is true for all of them and it may help someone else.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
    I don't know if this is the same for all the throws, but while seam ripping my first throw, I found that the straight thread that doesn't go through is on the duller side. The Shiny side has the thread going through the throw. Hopefully is true for all of them and it may help someone else.
    Good tip. Doesn't hurt anything to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    Good tip. Doesn't hurt anything to try it out.
    Turns out that I was wrong. It's actually on the shinny side. I wanted to double check when I removed the threads on the second one and I realised my mistake. When you get the correct side, you can you break the thread on either side of the sewn squares and then use the seam ripper to pull the thread from the center. It's hard to explain in text, but onces you try it, you should understand once you find the right side.

Images
    Turns out that I was wrong. It's actually on the shinny side. I wanted to double check when I removed the threads on the second one and I realised my mistake. When you get the correct side, you can you break the thread on either side of the sewn squares and then use the seam ripper to pull the thread from the center. It's hard to explain in text, but onces you try it, you should understand once you find the right side.
    If anyone wants to make a short video and post to youtube, that would probably save a lot of time and cursing from everyone seam-ripping costco blankets.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Well..........I guess that's okay. I have seam ripped a few of them, and never paid enough attention to notice which side was which. Of course, the few (several?) drinks that went with it probably didn't help. Did I mention I detest seam ripping?

Good on you for figuring this out though. Any tips to speed along seam ripping is a good thing.

Insulation
    Gemini Clone
    After ordering everything for my Gemini quilt set I stumbled onto a small hurdle regarding the hammocks I already have in my possession. While most of them run "small" at 8' (I can follow the trend to get the right length clews for that difference), I found at least one that is around 10'. That puts me at around a 12" difference in clew length on each end (24" total). The 10' hammocks are from Walmart and (I think, I actually forgot I had it and can always remeasure) BUDK. The 8' hammocks are cheap Chinese imports from way before I had any serious thoughts and looked into trending/suggested lengths.

I can think of two solutions, with a third just being the second one with a delay. The first one is make a second set of Gemini quilts (I was considering it, but for insulation purposes rather than for hammock size differences). The second option I thought of is to just make a separate set of clews, the amount of shock cord required looks to run between $10 and $17 depending on the online vendor (quick glance, no sales). The third option I could go with, is making Gemini with the smaller size in mind and just running it with the larger ones if I can't get comfortable with one of the smaller hammocks (then make the longer clews). Writing it out makes it seem obvious now, but I'm curious what feedback you guys have. What do you recommend? This looks to be the one down side to using clews, you can't just jump from one size hammock to another.

I actually ended up finding a couple throws with a down alternative in on Amazon that actually met the 60"x70" recommendation, added about $10 compared to the ones in the tutorial. I'll post pics here once I complete Gemini (mostly everything should be here today or tomorrow with some stragglers arriving either Friday or Monday, if everything shows up by Friday I'll try to have pics by Sunday).

A word on the down alternative. While I remember at least one person looking for a down alternative, I can't remember if they ever found one. Once I get the throws I'll double check size and insulation, if it checks out I'll link them for everybody else's reference. Again, the Cosco throws are cheaper and look to be better geared for this... stay tuned (looks like they have 10" squares instead of 5", nothing a ruler can't fix... a plus for those who don't like seam ripping).

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    What do you recommend? This looks to be the one down side to using clews, you can't just jump from one size hammock to another.
    i just put an 'adjuster cord' on each end with a cord lock, which connects the clew to my hammock suspension. I just adjust it to fit using the cord lock, and it works great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast