Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chknbone View Post
    Does anyone have the snap pattern diagram for the Castor UQ if you only wanted to be able to do the footbox configuration and not any of the others?
    Try this:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Xk4emMm_Pfs

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    C.G. Fortress
    Insulation
    HG BurrowIncubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckle
    I completed my Gemini quilt set this evening. I started with a set of gray double black diamond throws from Costco.

I ripped all the horizontal (short) seams using a seam ripper to cut the thread in 4 places for every square and pull the thread with tweezers. This worked great in most areas but to some doing when the stitches were too close together.

I found the KAM snap machine and snaps at JoAnn’s and was able to use a 60% coupon to reduce the cost considerably. Adding the buttons to the top quilt was simple enough. I completed all the #5 snaps before moving onto 4 and so on.

Putting it together to make a top quilt was easy enough. I may try different color snaps to make it a little easier. I slept in the top quilt and it was VERY comfortable.

Making the underquilt with the grosgrain tabs should have been easy but the 4” length was a little short for my bigger 1/2” snaps. Next time I would use smaller snaps or longer grosgrain tabs.

I had to wait for Amazon to deliver the 100 feet of 1/32 shock cord as JoAnn’s did not sell it in the correct size or length. Making the clews was easy. I made them at 21” and shortened the ends to tuck the edges of the underquilt up against the hammock.

After clipping the clews to the grosgrain tabs, I clipped the two carabiners together to help prevent the clews from becoming tangled.

I am very excited to give this a test run in the coming weeks!

Keep On Hangin,
    Trail Trekking
    Alan Smith in Cheshire, CT

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Trekking View Post
    I completed my Gemini quilt set this evening.
    Looks good

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Got my Throws in today. I look forward to building my Gemini set in near future. I'll post pics when I get the time to start this project.

Where is everyone finding the throws? $39.95 seems to be the going rate and im not near a Costco.

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Swmo01 View Post
    Where is everyone finding the throws? $39.95 seems to be the going rate and im not near a Costco.
    You can order online from Costco. If you're not a member there is a $2 fee I think

Complete beginner here. Super excited to try some backpacking and Hammock camping. Received the Go Roam Hammock, Tarp, suspension setup from Amazon for Xmas and blinged it out with Dutchgear stuff. I realize its like putting racing stripes on a Pinto, but whatever. I am not dropping big money on a high end Darrien, Chameleon, or Blackbird until I know if I like it.

I have been doing a lot of research for sleeping systems and found the Gemini idea on youtube. Maybe everyone knows this but just an FYI, I purchased two sets of the DBD Throws from Costco online. I figured I would experiment some with a couple sets. I don't have a Costco account, so they just charge me an additional $4 US and its shipping to me in a couple days. Felt kinda like an idiot asking everyone I know if they had a Costco membership until I tried it one night.

Anyway, maybe I am a little slow but I am trying to visualize how to construct the footbox on Castor (V2.0). I want to plan out what color Kam snaps to purchase to make construction on the trail easy by matching up the colors. The directions and illustrations are fantastic, but I always needed the idiots guide to things and there really is not a step by step snap connection explanation to make the footbox, just an illustration. I know the illustration has 5 different color snaps that allow you to connect to Pollux, Asym for both left to right and right to left sleeping in winter mode, and the footbox for TQ. Is it just connecting the colors to the same colors? Any quick how to would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Hammock
    a few DIY builds
    Tarp
    minifly (untested)
    Insulation
    CDT and EE Rev
    Suspension
    Straps so far
    Quote Originally Posted by sausastotle View Post
    Complete beginner here. Super excited to try some backpacking and Hammock camping. Received the Go Roam Hammock, Tarp, suspension setup from Amazon for Xmas and blinged it out with Dutchgear stuff. I realize its like putting racing stripes on a Pinto, but whatever. I am not dropping big money on a high end Darrien, Chameleon, or Blackbird until I know if I like it.

I have been doing a lot of research for sleeping systems and found the Gemini idea on youtube. Maybe everyone knows this but just an FYI, I purchased two sets of the DBD Throws from Costco online. I figured I would experiment some with a couple sets. I don't have a Costco account, so they just charge me an additional $4 US and its shipping to me in a couple days. Felt kinda like an idiot asking everyone I know if they had a Costco membership until I tried it one night.

Anyway, maybe I am a little slow but I am trying to visualize how to construct the footbox on Castor (V2.0). I want to plan out what color Kam snaps to purchase to make construction on the trail easy by matching up the colors. The directions and illustrations are fantastic, but I always needed the idiots guide to things and there really is not a step by step snap connection explanation to make the footbox, just an illustration. I know the illustration has 5 different color snaps that allow you to connect to Pollux, Asym for both left to right and right to left sleeping in winter mode, and the footbox for TQ. Is it just connecting the colors to the same colors? Any quick how to would be appreciated.

Cheers!
    This video might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bPbJJ64Fgg

Also, not sure how long your hammock is, but I was just finishing up my 2nd clew and realized that 100 feet of cord wasn't enough for an 11 ft hammock.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Thank you I will look at that.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    C.G. Fortress
    Insulation
    HG BurrowIncubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeRing View Post
    100 feet of cord wasn't enough for an 11 ft hammock.
    In my experience, 100 feet was plenty for an 11 foot hammock. My WBBB is 11 feet and it fit with extra shock cord that I did not cut off just in case. According to the website an 11 foot hammock should have 21” clews. (21 inches x 2 lengths) x 13 clews = 45.5 feet. Moreover, I took the websites suggestion and shortened the first and last clew by 3 inches to help keep the edges taught against the hammock.

The first time I hung the underquilt I felt my butt was cold. I moved the clips from my suspension buckles to my continuous loops and it solved the issue. I hope it all works out for you.

Happy Hangin’!
    Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 33 of 43 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast