Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    That’s awesome, thanks for all your contributions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdy98p View Post
    True, but at that point i think the “no sew” may need to just become “little sew”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not really, you could add a line of kam snaps where you want to overlap them. Then you could make it any length you want with 2 CDT's overlapping. Wow, I think I just stumbled across a full length design for my 12 footer. Thanks for the idea.

I finally got to test my Gemini underquilt in some cold weather. Our February scout camp out was this past weekend. I have my quilt, made from two Costco down throws, and snapped together, attached to my Hennessy Expedition. The first night the temperature dipped a bit below 30, and I felt somewhat cold, and had to line my hammock with a coat and sweater. I feel I could have slept in it as it was, but the nagging chill was noticeable. The second night the temp was at 30, but did not get lower. I was good at that temperature. I lined the inside of the hammock with a sweater, but nothing else. I can do that easily. From now on I expect to have temperatures at 35 and above for the spring time.

Next winter I could attach a third down throw and it would probably be just fine. That is the beauty of this system. You can add more down throws to the mix and get a warm result at colder temperatures. But I think most of our cold nights here in Oklahoma will be no lower than 20. Before this under quilt I have used closed foam pads from Thermorest. They have been adequate, but not as comfortable as no pad.

My challange now is to find a better way to connect the quilt. I use whoppie slings, and had trouble connecting the carabiner I used for a clew to the suspension of the hammock. I ended up running a line up to the tree hugger straps to hold it up. It was OK, but I think I could do better.

Anyway, I considered the under quilt a success. I just have to tweek it here and there.
    / \ /+\
    | ||
    |-|| ___
    | ||
    | | \__|

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Hex Sym
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    Trying all of them
    Images
    I am about to start my clews. Someone stated that 50’ of shockcord is only enough to do 20” nettles. I really want to make a shouldered sword mat to finish the clews instead of whipping. The video I found on the Ultimate Hang site used 4’ of standing end to weave the mat but that appeared to be WAY more than necessary and cuts in to my already limited supply of shockcord. So, two questions: 1) Does anyone know how little standing end i can get away with to accomplish the mats? 2) what do I compromise if I make 20” nettles instead of 27” that are called for my 11’ hammock? I will order more shock cord if I need to but I would love to be able to finish at least Pollux this weekend.

Images
    You can probably make the weave with as little as 12" but I'm not guaranteeing anything.

Short clews will still work but will not be optimum. They will fit a 10' hammock as a bonus though.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Hex Sym
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    Trying all of them
    Images
    Thanks leiavoia. I gave it a shot and yes, with 1/32 cord 1’ of working end is more than enough. However, the tension on my nettles came out pretty uneven so I think I am going to undo my mat and redo the clew with a West Country whipping. So much easier.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    HH Hex Sym
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    Trying all of them
    Images
    364E2FD6-DA07-40F6-8CAE-D5E5CD2BC3CC.jpeg
    This is the better looking end. Other end has evil looking scallops because of uneven tension on the nettles. Slept in it last night with Pollux hanging and Castor as a TQ. Low of 60* and I was way too warm! Can’t wait for cooler temps to give it another try.

Hammock
    12' Double from seller on the site
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    That sounds like a great idea and simple compared to making one from scratch.

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I am partway through making my first Pollux quilt. This is fun!

Rhode Island doesn't have Costco, but I was able to get a Costco throw from my dear sister. I know that isn't really enough for cold weather camping, but for now this is to use while hanging out in the basement (I can put up my hammock there!), or outside this summer.

What Rhodey *does* have is the awesome Ryko outlet in Lincoln (http://www.rycotrim.com), where 3/8" grosgrain was only 31 cents per yard. w00t!

I have already plucked the seams on the down throw -- which took a good hour, with these failing eyes -- and cut up the ribbon; now I am waiting for the 1/16" shock cord to arrive. Tonight I will singe down the cut ends on the ribbon.

THANK YOU for the original design, leiavoia, and for all the interesting suggestions from the rest of you. This is a great community!

Hammock
    DH Raven, WBRR
    Tarp
    Cowboy Badlander
    Insulation
    Cedar Ridge quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

The GEMINI Underquilt: $65 DIY, No-Sew, All-Season, Down, Convertible

Just finished my first two sets of Gemini this weekend. Technically “for the kids,” they’ll get used by me and/or whom ever is hanging with me

So is the consensus that the Pollux goes down to about 50* F by itself and layer the Castor on for lower?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast