Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    This is great! I definitely don't have the money to drop $300-$400 on a UQ right after I buy my first hammock. That's grounds for a divorce, according to my wife.

But this is a very affordable project. And I can see myself using those tools again in the future (kam snap tool, seam ripper, etc.).

Thanks!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    it's definitely a nice starter project

Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Just finished my Gemini a few days ago and planning to test it Wednesday night. Forecast is calling for a low of 40 degrees F. Is this in the range of Spring/Fall Mode or should I be rigging for Winter Mode? Suggestions from experienced users appreciated.

Will post my results on my ongoing thread covering the evolution of my insulation system.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...eep-Warm-Ideas

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair 1.1 Dual Layer
    Tarp
    3F UL Gear
    Insulation
    Gemini System
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've used my Gemini system a whole bunch this year. We took a 10 day, camping-every-night trip to Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and Sequoia this summer. I slept in my hammock every night. On that trip it was warm enough that I used the single layer on the bottom, with the second layer as the top quilt. Worked out fabulous. At the other extreme so far, this past weekend we camped in Moab for my son's high school mtn bike race. Night time temps Saturday night were around 36 degrees. I used my Gemini in three layer mode under me with my 20 degree down bag as a top quilt. I stayed toasty warm. As soon as I got in my hammock I could feel my back warming up. I have been loving the Gemini system. It is a whole lot of bang for the buck. Thanks again!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanC View Post
    Forecast is calling for a low of 40 degrees F. Is this in the range of Spring/Fall Mode or should I be rigging for Winter Mode? Suggestions from experienced users appreciated.
    everyone is different, you just have to try it and see

if you seam ripped each quilt, I'd be awfully tempted to just try a single layer and see how it goes

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    Just finished my Gemini a few days ago and planning to test it Wednesday night. Forecast is calling for a low of 40 degrees F. Is this in the range of Spring/Fall Mode or should I be rigging for Winter Mode? Suggestions from experienced users appreciated.

Will post my results on my ongoing thread covering the evolution of my insulation system.
    I took mine in winter mode down to 28 degrees. In fall mode, if the seams don't line up, you're probably good to forty. I spent many afternoons in my Gemini in fall mode with the Temps hovering between forty and fifty. Was very comfortable.

It's all about how well your sewn through seams stay misaligned. The two layers of down are warm enough.
    "If we lose the forests, we lose our only instructors. People must see these forests and wilderness as the greatest educational system that we have on the planet. If we lose all the universities in the world, then we would lose nothing. But If we lose the forests, we lose everything." -- Bill Mollison

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

Really just depends on how warm you sleep. I've been perfectly toasty at 40* in shoulder season mode and a 20* top quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    Thanks for all of your thoughts on the temperature ratings. I used it in Spring/Fall (2-layer) Mode and slept well at 39 deg. F. I wouldn't say I was toasty, but certainly comfortable. The full review is in another post HERE. For this thread, I'll stick to my review of the build process.

First, the time estimate is spot-on. It took me about 6 hours plus the time I had to spend correcting a mistake I made. I accidentally put all the wrong snap types on Castor for the two layer connection to the main underquilt. Spent an hour or so fixing that goof. I also skipped the top-quilt footbox snaps and only installed the Winter Mode snaps necessary for how I lay (head right, feet left).

Second, I configured my clews slightly differently. Instead of shortening the outside clews by 3" as recommended in the updated instructions, I made 15 equal clews and connected two of them to the outside loops for double the tension. I'm not sure which was is better, but I can tell you mine stayed in place all night with no issues, and seemed to be nice and snug. I had 100' of 1/32" shock cord. Using 50' on each end for 15 clews gave me a length of 20" per clew. The instructions state that 21" is the preferred length for my 10' hammock, but all I had was 100' so I made it work.

All-in-all, the set works great and I'd build another in a heartbeat. I'm planning to continue the backyard tests down to 30 degrees, but I'm confident this set will get me there. Thanks to Leiavoia and everyone else who contributed to this design!
    Last edited by DylanC; 10-26-2017 at 22:04.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    stock asym for now
    Insulation
    DIY and 0 HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Rallt straps
    So I've been lurking around for a year or so- figured its time to come out of the woodwork I finished the gemini quilt about a month or so ago and have had the chance to get it out in some chilly weather in the Adirondacks. I've only used it in the dual layer "fall mode" so far and been down to 31* with only a single layer shirt on and an old 25/40 "over easy" kelty sleeping bag used like a top quilt. Last weekend it got to 38 and I had to strip down almost naked due to being too warm. -I will add to this that eating a large meal shortly before bed adds some degrees to your sleeping temp.

I'm a fairly warm sleeper but in my testing, I would say much below freezing would start to make me think about going to bed with more layers on, when I stick my hand in between the quilt and hammock at 31, the air isn't nearly as warm as at 40. The only thing I've added is a couple attachment points to the sides to attach to the hennessy tie out points.

IMG_1312[1].jpg
    IMG_1326[2].jpg

Has anyone tried ripping the short seams on the inner quilt (instead of the long ones) as an alternative way to prevent cold spots?

• + New Posts
  • Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast