Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Oh, I missed that one, thanks.

I'm visiting my brother in my home state of Maine. We're hanging tonight north of Portland and just left BBB here looking for down throws... no dice. We'll keep looking.

Keep the improvements coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Thank you Leiavoia for the tetrapak-footbox update. I converted my 1.0 Castor to the tetrapak-footbox design tonight. I like how it gives you more coverage. I used a drill bit that I spun by hand to remove the old Kamsnaps that needed to be changed out.

It is definitely easier to use 2 different color snaps to see what needs to be connected together with this design.

Side seems are on the bottom.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Images
    Oh good. I thought maybe i had over-engineered it.

[making of shot:]

Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY 11' Single Layer Netless
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    MummyBag/Gemini UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & June Bugs
    First off, I'm a noob looking for ideas for my first UQ. I like the idea of the 3 different modes of this setup. That seems like a real advantage compared to a standard 3 or 4 season quilt. The trouble for me seems to be finding the CDTs to make one. How much sense would it make to "start from scratch" and first make the "throws" with nylon and 3.6 oz climashield? Cost would be around $95 (complete) but should also allow colder temperatures... maybe 20*F doubled up and 10*F in winter mode. Even at nearly $100 this seems like a good value because of how flexible it would be.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    If you are going to make from scratch, it would make sense to make the quilts with baffles so you can go down to the colder temperatures you state. Because of the sewn-through aspect of the CDTs, you will be pushing your luck below 40.

I had the maiden voyage of my Gemini last night. I think I was using it with a 20° mummy bag as my top quilt. My top was nice and toasty. However, even with thermals on and a layer of fleece and wool, 36° my underside was uncomfortable enough that I didn't get a decent sleep.

* missed the fact that you wanted to use climashield. Down definitely needs baffles if making from scratch.

Images
    @FuzzyWereBeast: could you tell me a bit more about how your underquilt was configured? If you feel like it wasn't working well while others are reporting the opposite, it might be the way it is hung. I get the best results when it is very lightly suspended in order to prevent compression. I've had it in a wet 35F environment and it seemed to do well. Thanks for your feedback.

Images
    @Dylan: if you are willing to sew the quilt from scratch, take a look at Jellyfish' full instructions for a boxed climashield quilt. That's probably more what you are looking for. The Gemini setup is more geared towards the low budget no-sew crowd that are willing to accept the inherent limitations of the Costco blanket itself.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    @FuzzyWereBeast: could you tell me a bit more about how your underquilt was configured? If you feel like it wasn't working well while others are reporting the opposite, it might be the way it is hung. I get the best results when it is very lightly suspended in order to prevent compression. I've had it in a wet 35F environment and it seemed to do well. Thanks for your feedback.
    I think I may have had the suspension a bit tight... I mathed out 18" for the clews , but went with 17" as per original instructions. I also had difficulty getting the proper diagonal lay. 1/2 way through the night I realized that I was getting cold b/c I wasn't on the center run correctly. I'm chalking it up to a bunch of firsts and will test more when I have a better place to hang the hammock.

Knowing that you and others have used this down to 35° means that I will be giving it another go... I'm just not sure when.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    COGS Black Canyon
    Insulation
    LL Cayenne Pepper
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    So I have a question about the clew length... I sleep in a 11' and my son uses a 10' I believe this quilt will be mainly used on his hammock, but I may want to use it on my 11 footer. Should I set the clew length for the 10' hammock then and just adjust for the 11 footer, or should I split the difference between the two lengths?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trick420 View Post
    So I have a question about the clew length... I sleep in a 11' and my son uses a 10' I believe this quilt will be mainly used on his hammock, but I may want to use it on my 11 footer. Should I set the clew length for the 10' hammock then and just adjust for the 11 footer, or should I split the difference between the two lengths?
    You want to set it for the smaller hammock. However, making a separate set of longer clews is a better option.

• + New Posts
  • Page 18 of 43 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast