CS Apex 5.0 vs 6.0 vs 7.5: bulk, warmth, and weight

I am building my 1st underquilt and will be using CS Apex. I do the majority of my backcountry camping in the mountains of Northern California, spring through fall and commonly see temps in the mid 20s. I do winter camp once in a while, usually 1 trip per year. Bulk is more of a concern than weight, I am not a gram counter and sometimes end up carrying quite a bit of weight (see pic).

I started with thinking about doing my uq in 5.0, but 6.0 would probably be best for my temp requirements. I then start thinking about 7.5 and wonder how much more bulk and weight would it be over 6.0? I tend to over think things. Should I stick with my 6.0 plans and just build a 2nd uq for winter?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Snep Hammock, about 12 DIY's, etc.
    Tarp
    OneTigris Tiegman
    Insulation
    HG & HangTight
    Suspension
    Varies
    Bulk? What are you worried about? You have three sherpas to carry it all! Lol. I have something of the same questions. I got my 20deg underquilt (incubator) but was thinking a DIY for the guest hammock. 20-30's are not to hard to find in winter in East Tn
    _____
    Forest Fires cause Smoky Bears

"For the ultimate light weight rig just sleep on the ground in the clothes you are wearing!"

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    A 6oz would be more than sufficient for what sounds like 99% of your trips. Supplement it with a hammock sock, warm layers and or a closed cell foam pad for that one trip a year. 7.5 is a 25% increase in insulation that you are saying you don't need for most of your trips...25% more to pack bulk wise and weight wise is a lot for the once in a while.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

The extra weight of 7.5 over 6 is easy to calculate, it's the square area of your quilt x 1.5 ounces. A full-length quilt is usually in the ballpark of 2.5 square yards, so around 3-4oz heavier for 7.5.

If bulk is a primary concern, I'd definitely go goose down which is undeniably more work and expense, but pays dividends in both bulk and weight. Otherwise, the bulk is what it is and it'll either fit in your pack or you'll go to a larger one. A 3/4 length would mitigate that to some extent, but then you need a foot pad (if you already carry a sit pad you can multi-task it).
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Do the 6 oz and then add an underquilt protector if temps drop below 30 deg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

I made a full length UQ using 5.0 apex and have taken it into the mid to low 20s twice with a moderate base layer and no wind. On one backyard hang I used a poncho liner as a loose pod or sock which also helps. From my limited experience I believe 5.0 will do 30 easily and probably down to 20 by blocking wind with a sock or UQ protector.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    I have several quilts I've made out of 5 and have gone to about 30 comfortably. I also made one out of 7.5 and it was just too bulky, not to mention much more challenging to stitch. Honestly if I was in your shoes I would go for down.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey von View Post
    I am building my 1st underquilt and will be using CS Apex. I do the majority of my backcountry camping in the mountains of Northern California, spring through fall and commonly see temps in the mid 20s. I do winter camp once in a while, usually 1 trip per year. Bulk is more of a concern than weight, I am not a gram counter and sometimes end up carrying quite a bit of weight (see pic).

I started with thinking about doing my uq in 5.0, but 6.0 would probably be best for my temp requirements. I then start thinking about 7.5 and wonder how much more bulk and weight would it be over 6.0? I tend to over think things. Should I stick with my 6.0 plans and just build a 2nd uq for winter?
    Your first image took me way back to when my two kids were young. I had my beasty back pack plus my youngest on top. I packed way too much weight. LOL

Ray Jardin has a system for double quilts to be divided into equal weight sections.

I am using the 6 oz. in my quilts. Bulky but not too heavy. I have flipped space blankets over my ridge line when I got caught wanting more warmth.

Excellent parenting!

• + New Posts