WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images

Canada>ON>EGL Snow shoe trip to Niger Lake - Sausages and that darn lid!

EGL Snow shoe trip to Niger Lake - Sausages and that darn lid!

Another trip in the EGL book. This backcountry trip saw us venture on to Crown Land for the first time. Crown land is public land and as such we are allowed to camp on it for free. It does have it’s issues like adequate parking for a large group. Even finding crown land can be difficult and when you do find it, it can be challenging to accommodate a large group since you know nothing of the area. A few months earlier a group went up to scout out possible locations around Niger Lake which is just outside of Algonquin Provincial Park but the constant sound of gunfire during the rifle deer hunting season kept them on their site with their canoes still on their cars.

During the planning phase, parking was looking to be the only issue we needed to address. Space for enough cars as well as accessibility were the key factors so we did keep a backup plan in mind to go into Algonquin park should Niger Lake fall through. A few days before, Cedar328 graciously did a little recon for us since he lives closer than any of us and his report made staying on Niger Lake a strong possibility. The road in was doable but if more snow accumulated it could have made us go to plan B. As it was, it was up to 76highboy and myself to make the call as were we going to be the first to arrive.

76highboy and I arrived mid morning. The weather changed drastically as we travelled further north progressing from grey skies to white out conditions to sunny skies in the span of 3 hours.

As we turned on to the logging road leading into the lake there was a clearing to the right with more than enough room to park several cars but we drove onward to see if we could get in a little further to cut down on our walking time. Although we managed to make it to the area where Cedar328 had pointed out was ok for parking, the amount of snow on the ground as well as the forecast for more snow over the weekend made our choice easier. We returned to the lot near the highway to park and get geared up.

I had been in contact with Jayson a few times and knew that he and Walkinthewoods would be arriving soon. Sure enough they pulled in as we were loading up our sleds. Jayson texted chard to let him know that we were good to go to Niger and the four of us started walking. We travelled along the logging road which is minimally maintained for trucks so it was possible to go without snowshoes.

The sun was hiding behind a blanket of grey clouds but would intermittently pop out and greet us with a little warmth. The wind was intermittent and would make us cold for only brief periods. A few ups and down on the road got the blood pumping but we got to the lake in good time. We ventured onto the lake with the intention of going down to an inlet on the western side of the lake to get out of the wind and where there is access to hardwood.

We found a small area that had easy access to the lake and was not as steep as much of the shoreline. After a brief scout around we decided to call this home and went about setting up. The snow was easily 2 to 3 feet deep all around us and so for most of the time we were setting up we had to do so with snowshoes on which quickly got very annoying. We spent the better part of the mid afternoon getting dug in.

It was challenging terrain that made me thankful for finding hammockforums years ago. 76highboy had the hardest task since he was setting up a hot tent.

It wasn’t until after he had finished setting up that he noticed a steam hole at the base of a large tree trunk. We hoped it wasn’t a bear den and if it was, we all hoped the smell of grilling meat wouldn’t prematurely wake it.

Walkinthewoods and I started digging out a group area and were surprised to find the ground we dug down to was very spongy. We thought maybe we were on a bog. We moved over about 15 feet and started digging again. This time the ground was not quite as soft and we were still surrounded by trees so we continued to clear out the area. I decided to make a rounded couch hoping the snow would sinter enough to support us.

Jayson got the wood gathering going and soon we had enough to get a fire going. Some of the wood we gathered was a bit punky and I even had a hard time lighting up some mature birch bark. I have to say that Friday night’s fire was not the greatest. It was smokey and the wood did not light well but it was good enough to cook food and boil water. Ordinarily in the parks we frequent there are always rocks around the fire pits to build up to create a chimney effect. Our lack of rocks, the depression we were in as well as the lack of good hardwood made for very unpredictable smoke. Walkinthewoods used 76highboy’s auger to make a hole in the ice. It certainly makes life easier having access to water versus melting snow. Remember everyone, never bang an auger into the ice and if your hole freezes over, drill a new one. Don’t try to redrill the frozen over hole.

As it got dark, I placed one of my trekking poles with a red light hanging from it out on the lake for those who were yet to arrive. Soon after Lofty showed up travelling lighter than us carrying only a pack since he was just staying for one night. I knew chard and ConnieB were going to arrive late but I was growing concerned that they were not going to make it and thought maybe they decided to just come up the next day. My fears were unfounded as an hour later they showed up. The rest of the night was spent sitting around the fire and dodging smoke. We chatted and joked and eventually after a lot of hot water bottle preparation we turned in. Jayson was starting to get annoyed at his pot lid continuously falling down. It seemed to happen a lot and after looking at the Snowpeak lid I can see why. The temperatures weren’t uncomfortable and the sky was cloudy so I was hoping it wasn’t going to get any colder overnight. As it turned out it was a low of -13.7*C (7.34F) and I was comfortable all night.

I awoke as many hangers do-reluctant to get out of my hammock. I was so comfy and warm that I could have stayed there all morning. Eventually I got up, cooked up some sausages for breakfast and cooked up a few more to share. Others were having hot drinks and hanging out. The goals for the day were to gather a good supply of wood and to try to catch some fish-yet another difference between this trip and an Algonquin trip. Fishing was allowed on this lake during this time of year. 76highboy and Walkinthewoods tried their hand at catching something to eat.

Fresh fish on the fire is awesome anytime. Despite their best efforts while braving a cold wind we were relegated to cooking what we brought...sausages. We said goodbye to Lofty around noon and soon after chard and Jayson were out collecting wood. They eventually came back with trees they cut down. There was a lot of wood to be processed. Chard rigged up a bucking station and we started at it. While this was going on Jiblets arrived bearing gifts-a box of timbits.

Can’t get more Canadian than that and it’s just like Jiblets to bring something like that out into the bush. After he got a little more settled in he helped cut some wood with his Silky Katanaboy folding saw. Up to that point we were all using 24 inch buck saws that take forever to get through a large diametre tree but that Katanaboy is like a lightsaber. Note to those unfamiliar with Silky saws, they cut on the pull.

As dinner approached I came upon chard cooking up a tube steak in the form of a chicken hot dog on his squirrel cooker and commented that it looked so small. I meant it looked small compared to the size of the squirrel cooker since it could hold many more but chard jokingly felt inadequate. A little later I cooked up some sausages that were much larger and Walkinthewoods pointed this out to chard who again felt the sting of ridicule. Eventually Jayson brought out a very long link of tube steak and we made chard feel keenly aware of it’s size and girth. Jiblets also brought sausages to share and it seemed we were having sausage party. They seem to be a popular menu item at these hangs.

Even though Walkinthewoods didn’t snag a fish, he did manage to hook the sleeve of ConnieB’s jacket accidentally when she brushed against it when reaching for some wood. As Jiblets pointed out later that night, she’s really gotten hooked on hammocking. This was only my second time hanging with ConnieB but she fits right with all of us. Since I like hearing people’s stories I had brief chat with her and I look forward to more in the future.

When darkness set it and we were having a proper fire Jayson gave each of us a packet of apple cider with which he shared some cinnamon fireball whiskey. It’s like apple pie in glass with a kick. While tending to his boiling water, Jayson knocked off the lid to his Snow Peak pot for the umpteenth time to which he uttered the same exclamation of “I hate this god da*n lid!!” It seemed that all you needed to do was look at the lid the wrong way and it would fall off. We all had a laugh at his irritation.

Around the fire Jiblets was sporting his never used white military pack boots. They blended in with the snow so well he was like a ninja but the boots also made him reluctant to get up for fear of getting them dirty. While warming her feet, the soles of ConnieB’s down boots started to melt and when they cooled the melted cordura made them even more slippery to walk in than before.

Food is always plentiful at our get togethers but this time 76highboy decided to try something different - perogies. He fried up some bacon and onions while the perogies boiled up. They sure were tasty. As the night went on we talked and laughed and eventually went about our routines of boiling water for hot water bottles. A light snow had been falling during the evening and it was forecasted to continue into Sunday.

I was the last to wake up and get packed. It was another warm night in the hammock. The low was -9.1*C (15.62*F) and I was verging on being hot at times. I said my goodbyes at first to Walkinthewoods and Jayson and then chard and ConnieB and then I continued to round up all my gear. 76 highboy and Jiblets departed a few minutes ahead of me and so I was left to walk out on my own. Snow was falling so the journey out was very peaceful for me. Except for the odd snowmobile, the walk across the lake was very quiet and calming. As I walked along I reflected on many things. One train of thought centred on various mottos and sayings that I like to ponder occasionally. The great antarctic explorer Ernest Shackleton’s family motto was "Fortitudine vincimus" meaning “By endurance we conquer”. The British SAS motto is “Who dares wins”. My personal favourite line is from a poem called “Ulysses” by Lord Alfred Tennyson. Many of you know it. “To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.” These sayings always help me get perspective on why I go on these trips and indeed always make me think ahead to the next trip before this one is even over. It was a great trip as always owing to the great people I go with. Thanks to all who came out. To those who had to cancel last minute, we missed you and look forward to seeing you on the next one.

Sincere thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Bubba; 02-07-2017 at 05:53.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    DIY Xyl
    Suspension
    Cinch / webbing
    Very cool folks. Thanks for posting. Gotta love how the boxatimbits makes an appearance. Need to apologize? I brought timbits....no time to make a promised dessert? I brought timbits..... Know what goes with a good sausage party??? Yup.... Timbits....

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Was great seeing you again Bubba!

Nice report. I always enjoy seeing how people do it with that white stuff around! I was lucky to spend a little time in the Algonquin area, but it was summer.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Nice trip report Bubba. It's always fun getting out with the gang no matter what the weather throws at us.

I'll have to agree with you on apple cider/fireball combination; it warmed you up right!

So many sausages!
    Last edited by Chard; 02-07-2017 at 14:46.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft wide
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Hammeck Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch Straps
    Very nice trip report. Looked like a lot of fun was had by all. Take care.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for a great report! I always appreciate a good write up and photos more than a video. Donut holes!! Great idea to go with coffee!

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior XL Flecktarn
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Dutch Spidr/Mantis
    Great turnout. awesome report. Sure hope to attend a gathering in the near future.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Great trip report, Bubba. I wish I could have made it but I didn't get out of bed all weekend. I'm still not 100% but I decided to share it around the office - no sense in me having all the fun.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    1.7 dbl, WBRR LSOH Swift
    Tarp
    superfly Razor
    Insulation
    Lynx' toaster z
    Suspension
    webbing, whoopies
    Great trip report Bubba!
    Always fun hanging out with friends in the piney woods.
    Yeah the terrain made it a little more difficult to set up the Smokehouse but when it was -13c outside and +21c inside it was all worthwhile.
    I was also enjoying my brand spanking new topquilt from "Little shop of hammocks" Kudos to James. Nice work.

"No thrills for the timid"
    No signs,no fees,no rules,nobody. My kind of campsite.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast