Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images

AL>Sipsey Wilderness >Four Horseman and My Little Pony Trip Report

A couple of friends have been planning a winter backpacking trip in the Sipsey Wilderness since earlier this fall. In the beginning, the trip was planned to be four of us that have spent a lot of time in the Sipsey Wilderness, and Todd, who has limited experience but wants to explore and learn more. Todd (who drove 5 hours from Mississippi) named this trip “Four Horseman and My Little Pony” due to the people that had originally planned on attending. It ended up being Four Horsemen and 2 Little Ponies. I’ll let you decide between Horsemen and ponies….

I met Todd at the Sipsey Recreational Area around lunch on Friday. He was now an official Sipsey Wanderer after buying a map of the area at the trading post. Not wanting to set up camp and sit, we decided to take our time and visit a few new-to-him places. We started by taking the trip down Mize Mill Falls, Turkey Foot Falls, past the old car remains, and hiking out to the old bridge at the Sipsey Recreation Area. With the recent rain, the water was flowing well and the waterfalls were impressive. This is a short hike but filled with lots of great scenery. While I didn’t track this trip, I estimate it to be around a mile.

Finally it was time to head to camp. I strapped on my “heavy” 25 lb pack. My pack was substantially heavier than normal because I had planned on a short hike in and I wanted to experiment with a few new items. We headed up Trail 200 from the Sipsey Wilderness area and quickly arrived at the water crossing for Trail 209. Remember the pictures from the waterfalls? Well, the water at the crossing was also up a bit (only a foot deep at the most but cold). We didn’t have Wiggy Waders and I hear they didn’t help one person keep dry feet (cough, Tom, cough) so plan B was activated. After a very short discussion, we decided Todd needed to mark off more miles traveled on his new map. We decided to travel up Trail 200 to the Borden Creek Bridge, cross over, and hike down the unofficial West Borden Creek trail. We knew this would add around 4 miles to our trip, but we had plenty of time, so off we went.

The trip up and down Borden Creek was mostly uneventful and we saw very few people. I say mostly uneventful because the creek banks were very slick with the recent elevated water level. We both slipped and fell several times, but I was informed it's not officially "Man Down" until the buttocks touch the mud. After several close calls, we both were officially "Man Down." Another highlight was the "Fat Man Squeeze" at the northern end of Borden Creek Trail (trail 200). Todd and I decided to be adventurous and climb over the top instead of climbing down through the mud. While this may be possible with day packs, with the recent rain and full packs this was not the smartest idea we'd had that day. After a few pictures, we climbed back down and went through the "cave." It wasn't as muddy as I expected and we made it through initially without difficulty. Upon reaching the northern end, Todd discovered his knife had disappeared. He dropped his pack and went back through the "Fat Man Squeeze" to find it. Of course, it was at the very southern end. After retrieving his knife, Todd came back through to continue the journey. So in a matter of minutes, Todd had navigated the "Fat Man Squeeze" a total of three times. Waaaaayne, he is trying to beat your record for trips through in a single trip. LOL.

We stopped at each waterfall to take pictures and enjoy the scenery. We finally met back up with Trail 209 and headed west toward our campsite. We arrived at the GPS coordinates Thomas had provided just before dark and set up camp. While this wasn’t the ideal campsite (one reason hammock are great), who am I to doubt Thomas? We quickly set up camp, filtered water, ate, and started a fire. Instead of the short 1.5 miles we took the scenic route and hiked about 6 miles on the way to camp.

Just as we started to wonder about the rest of our group (Thomas, Wayne, Rex, and soggy foot Tom) we saw headlamps through the trees as they made their way to camp. Greetings were made and I was honored to meet Rex – I have been reading his blog for years. In fact, that is where I first heard of Thomas a couple of years before I actually met him. Small world, right? That evening was normal camping routine – sitting around the fire enjoying the company of others.

We awoke to a chilly morning – one thermometer showed the low of 20 the night before. THAT’S why I love my Hammock Gear quilts. I was nice and toasty until the “pee at 3” but it only took a few moments to warm back up once I was surrounded by the downy goodness of a top and under quilt.

The next day agenda was to explore the Garrison home site and canyon. As many of you know, there were quite a few people living in Bankhead up to the 1920’s or so when the government bought up the land to establish Bankhead National Forest. That’s another story for another day, though.

After breakfast we loaded up and set out. In true Thomas fashion, we went off-off trail, exploring every place that might hold a secret from years ago. Uphill, downhill, uphill, downhill we went. This is not a hike for the timid or out of shape. Thomas informed us to be prepared to see sights that would “fascinate” us and he delivered. We managed to see a few treasures including an old grave, an old tree carving, an old piece of metal (not sure what it is – we assumed a part of the frame from an old buggy), Garrison Falls, the old Garrison home site, a Native American Mortar Stone, and the “Artesian Spring.” After just a few miles that felt much longer, we headed back to camp to relax for a bit. We only hiked a total of about 2 miles but had “scads” of elevation gain and loss.

P1270189.jpg P1270195.jpg P1270196.jpg P1270198.jpg P1270199.jpg P1280208.jpg P1280213.jpg P1280215.jpg P1280217.jpg

After a few minutes, we took off for the last adventure for the day. Above and behind Fall Creek Falls is an old marker boundary tree. When they first surveying areas for the National Forest, they marked areas/boundaries by carving in Beech Trees. They have since replaced them with the official metal markers. From my understanding, this is one of the few boundary marking trees still remaining in Bankhead. You have to outline to carving in chalk to really see it. The newer official marker is just a few feet away. This was about a 1.8 mile hike round trip.

P1280221.jpg P1280223.jpg P1280224.jpg P1280225.jpg

Saturday night was not as cold – a balmy 28 degrees as we relaxed around the campfire. Sunday morning we slowly began the process of leaving our beloved area. I decided to brave the cold water of the Borden Creek Crossing and just in a few minutes and 1.6 miles from camp, we were back at our vehicles at the Sipsey Recreation Area.

This was another great weekend with new and old friends. My total for the trip was around 12.5 miles with a combination of official trails, unofficial trails (off trail), and no trail (off-off trail). As always, much laughter, fun, and tired legs followed another trip to the Sipsey Wilderness.

I nearly always learn something on every trip. This trip I learned I need more raisins in my trail mix and now I know where to find them thanks to Thomas!
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 02-07-2017 at 16:26.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    DIY Hammocks
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    As always, a great trip report! As much time that I have spent around Fall Creek Falls and up Fall Creek, I have never found the boundary marker. I will have to search for it...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Nice trip report enjoyed it. Looks like a nice place.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mac-Gear / HG / LL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Really enjoyed the report. Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Jnunniv, thanks for yet another well put together trip report. Where is Garrison Falls and the Old Garrison home place? Do you have coordinates?

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Love the report! Sipsey is my favorite place to slip off and unplug from life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    You forgot to mention two things. "Man down" only counts if your butt hits the ground and I did Fat Man squeeze....three times.

Nice report Jim. Hope to have video of my own up later in the week. It's so busy when I'm not in the woods.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Nice report and I'm gonna have to join you one day on one of these adventures
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDaddy View Post
    You forgot to mention two things. "Man down" only counts if your butt hits the ground and I did Fat Man squeeze....three times.

Nice report Jim. Hope to have video of my own up later in the week. It's so busy when I'm not in the woods.
    Haha. I did but (no pun intended) I'll fix it. That's too good to leave out.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    DIY TCF Sage Green
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12x12
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    Images
    Great report. My wife and I really want to get over to the Sipsey area one day and explore!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast